Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge May 2015

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
aKFiBVQ.jpg
Hello everyone and welcome to the Monthly Noob Challenge for the month of May.

Welcome to the fifth installment of the challenge for the year of 2015!

I really do not have a skype account, but you guys like and if you have a google plus account we can set up a hang out, and discuss the challenge more.

glBi7qT.png
onWUiGw.jpg
Artist -Alexei Samokhin
http://sidxartxa.deviantart.com/

kN3rLEl.png
v0h4JdU.jpg
Artist -Christopher Hayes

bv949Pl.png
Feel free to approach either of the concepts however you like but I'd recommend making it as modular as possible to save time and keep things optimized. It's really up to you, and as long as you are learning, it doesn't matter right?

Also if you want to change up either concept a bit, as some people wanted, then feel free. Interpret these concepts to your liking.

There are some things that I would like to point out to for newcomers.
If you only want to do a few props as best you can, then feel free to go ahead and do it. This way you can gradually work on building up to a full scene before diving head-first into the whole ordeal.

rkPvS94.png

Please read all the rules before starting.

When you are just starting out making a scene, it can seem complicated or imposing, so take the time to break it down.

Think about how you can re-use assets, re-use textures, break it down as simple as possible and plan it out. A lot of people will break it down in their own way when they start out their challenge. Gather some reference images as well for different parts of the scene, maybe gather some refs and make it your own.

Take your time planning and blocking out, it will set you up for success later on.

Here are some specifics.
  • Try to post one critique for every post that you make. This will make for a better learning environment and help us all grow as artists.

• You must make your own textures, no stealing. We can't keep you from doing it, but the goal is to learn. You can use other textures and images to create your final texture, but please, no blatant copying of another artist's work.

• You must use a game engine to present your work. Unreal Engine and CryEngine are very common engines that can be used, but feel free to use any alternatives that you want.

• You must try your best and finish as much as you can in the time frame provided.

• Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique. We don't need to have 1000 disjointed threads littering the forums.

• I would strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel, but it must stay very close to the concept, if not super close.

• Please stay away from using Ddo. It's great if you know what you're doing, and for a production pipeline supplement, but other than that, please don't use it. Ndo2 is allowed. This was talked about in the other thread, so please don't complain.

• Well that's about it. If you think that any rules should be changed, or there should be new additions to the rules, please let us know.

All that matters is that you learn, while being able to effectively critique others, as well as accept critiques on your own work. Remember to have fun. Cheers!

Replies

• Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for setting this up! :)
  • Stavaas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    Cool! Would love to try it out!
  • particleman1010
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    particleman1010 polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for putting this together.
  • Valitri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for doing this, been waiting for it.

Not sure why but I decided to start with the barrels. I've actually not made one of these before despite them seeming to be a very beginner friendly model.

How do I tell if this is a decent UV unwrap or not? I assumed it is if the squares are warped on the model.
    PJV27lP.png
  • particleman1010
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    particleman1010 polycounter lvl 8
    Valitri wrote: »
    How do I tell if this is a decent UV unwrap or not? I assumed it is if the squares are warped on the model.

I think you want to minimize warping on your UVs.
  • Valitri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you want to minimize warping on your UVs.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I am starting to feel pretty comfortable in modeling things, not that I can model amazing things but I have the basics down enough. UV unwrapping and texturing is still something I need to work on, both seem to take a considerable amount of time.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys here is my block out of one of the chest, let me know what you guys think! 1sf0kJF.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    This is tempting. Also the chest could be a decent focal point if it was done in the same style in the scene and put on that pedestal.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Tempting indeed! Maybe someone could merge both threads?
  • pasoca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    techrobest,polycount on "nails" more than on gold mesh
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    Great to put this together. Do people that participate have a little bit more of extra time to get this together?
    edit: in the concept, whats that floating thing? looks interesting, looks like a pool table? It looks like it would be really easy to manage and do, I might try to do this as a low poly, diffuse only environment. Might try with Unity, Maya and photoshop
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TooLzor polycounter lvl 10
    Valitri wrote: »
    Thank you for doing this, been waiting for it.

Not sure why but I decided to start with the barrels. I've actually not made one of these before despite them seeming to be a very beginner friendly model.

PJV27lP.png

Not sure how you'd do it in your program (I think blender?) but maybe you can glean some info/ideas from this
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5poaxy-CXY[/ame]

This has saved me a bunch of times for making rectangle textures instead of square ones which is what I tend to do for ones that will have lots of extra space like that barrel.
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    I am confused. Didn't someone start a thread for this a couple days ago? http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152490

Which one is it? :(
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Nice! Good job for putting this up, was wondering where it was. I'll see if I have time for this.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Higuy wrote: »
    I am confused. Didn't someone start a thread for this a couple days ago? http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152490

Yes they actually both started at the same time without the other one knowing. The reason for this is the person who usually does these environment challenges hasn't done one for the month of May.

I would say just choose whichever concept you like better and run with it. :)
  • Lumpizaver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just checking in ... Started working on the chest prop.
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy wrote: »

At least it wasn't just me, I saw the other and was like cool then saw this and was like...wait whut?
  • Lumpizaver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    QVqUh.jpg

Chest is more or less done, now on to bones and gold.
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see that dDo is prohibited, what's the status on Substance Des/Painter? Was thinking of giving it a whirl and trying to make some stuff that way (I know some stuff in Des but painter would be pretty much new to me)
  • Slapunas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slapunas polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah, decided to join in as well
    My block out of the scene so far, though not yet done.
    ucpyoDR.png
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    TooLzor wrote: »
    I see that dDo is prohibited, what's the status on Substance Des/Painter? Was thinking of giving it a whirl and trying to make some stuff that way (I know some stuff in Des but painter would be pretty much new to me)

In my opinion, if you are using this challenge as a means to explore different software then by all means go for it and learn all that you can from doing it!
  • movetronics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    movetronics polycounter lvl 6
    Hi guys! I'm thinking about entering this challenge but I'm not sure about the rules. I see everyone is just used a 3d package like maya, is it limited to that or can you use any package you like, because I use zbrush in my pipeline.

I also see that it says noob challenge, I'm not new to 3d modelling but I do fill like a need to improve my skills and portfolio. Please let me know
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Movetronics your welcome to join! That is the main point of this , is to improve yourself and to get better!

Great work Slapunas, I look forward to seeing what you can do with this scene.

And guys this is my High poly of my chest let me know what you guys think!
    2heHk4Z.jpg
    97VFY2d.jpg
  • putka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    putka polycounter lvl 6
    Looking good, robster :). How did you approach the coins? Did you somehow snap them to a surface?
  • Lumpizaver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, tehrobster's coins are looking good. I am not sure how I will approach them yet.

Here is my base mesh, I am moving to zBrush now to sculpt those planks and cracks.

ybPAf.jpg
  • Gaiascope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaiascope polycounter lvl 4
    Two challenge threads are kinda confusing, but I like the concept posted in this one way more so this is where I'll post! I don't have a lot of time to put into this, but it's fun to do so I'll find time somewhere.

Just about finished blocking out the scene, almost ready to start taking things into zbrush.
    May_Challange.png

I wanna keep it pretty low poly and go for diffuse-only textures. If I can get away with it, I'll try to texture the whole thing with a single 1k map

Looking forward to see what everybody comes up with!
  • Slapunas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like your approach gaiascope with the symmetrical blockout, but if you look closely the distance between columns is not identical.

Having that said I had a massive headache trying to camera match it and gave up as I figured that the concept has a warped perspective. So you saved yourself some time for sure :)

Just finished baking the high ress sculpt from zBrush
    [IMG][/img]8id5HAv.jpg

Sorry for marmoset render, never used any engine besides the one made by my fellow student but I will have the final done nicely in UE4 (learning it along the way)
  • Gaiascope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slapunas wrote: »
    I like your approach gaiascope with the symmetrical blockout, but if you look closely the distance between columns is not identical.

Having that said I had a massive headache trying to camera match it and gave up as I figured that the concept has a warped perspective. So you saved yourself some time for sure :)

Just finished baking the high ress sculpt from zBrush

Sorry for marmoset render, never used any engine besides the one made by my fellow student but I will have the final done nicely in UE4 (learning it along the way)

Yeah, once I realized the concept wasn't going to lend itself to exact measurements I just came up with ones that looked good. I'll just say it was inspired by the concept and not trying to reproduce it 1:1 :P Besides, I love punching in those exact numbers and seeing my geometry line up perfectly

Your sculpt looks good for sure! Might I ask how you are going to handle the materials, since you're going for Unreal Engine? Are you making it more realistic with PBR materials or more stylized shading?
  • Slapunas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not sure at this point. Probably gonna try to go realistic-ish with PBR
  • Gaiascope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just dropping a quick progress update on the scene, going with diffuse-only, unlit shading. Probably gonna end up making 2 scenes, 1 textured with a single 1k map, and one where I just go wild and bake lighting into the textures

progress_01.png
  • putka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    putka polycounter lvl 6
    Good stuff. Are you gonna use sculpts to help you with any of the diffuse maps or just pure hand painted textures?
  • Gaiascope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used the techniques described in this tutorial to grab maps from zbrush. It's a little bit annoying since ZAppLink introduces seams in some types of maps, but those are relatively easy to fix.

I usually grab the normal, AO and curvature map (Zbrush materials for this mentioned in tutorial) and then compile them in photoshop. Then I add in a gradient map, some colour variation, and paint in some extra details I want.

XXBtebX.png

This is hands down my favorite way to make textures :D
  • movetronics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    movetronics polycounter lvl 6
    Hi guys, so this is as far as a have got on the chest project. im using zboust to make it, then i'm going to use maya to make the low poly and bake the map.

The chest is on the right and on the left are so reff I got from the net. cc if you can.chest_wip_by_movetronics-d8tzzd0.jpg
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
  • Gaiascope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @nbac from what I understand, there wasn't one, so two people made it at the same time. The other thread is more active, but I personally prefer the concept posted in this one, so I went for this thread.

Just posting my progress so far. Almost done, I still need to model the small details. The potions, the scrolls, the books, etc. I don't have a lot of texture space left in my 1k map, but I think I'll manage.

nrlbnu6.jpg
    GX36BNL.jpg
    HyUNkrC.png

I still need to tweak some values, and probably make other edits, but I like to think its coming along nicely.
  • putka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    putka polycounter lvl 6
    Nice, texture's looking clean :)
  • Bentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bentic polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys, nice progress, even if it seems a slow month!

Gaiascope, nice progress on the textures, I'm curious how it'll turn out with lighting (unless you plan to keep it that way?). Nice pool table :p

So I was wondering, what's the plan for next month ? Has anyone gotten news from Wulf ?
    If I'm looking at the right Skype profile, it would appear he's 17, so he may be busy with school and exams. That might be why we didn't hear from him for this month, I don't know...

Is anyone taking over the duties for June (or permanently) ? Preparing a concept voting thread ?

I'm posting in the other May thread too so we can coordinate this time ;)
  • Lumpizaver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah one challenge would be much better. I am still working on the chest, probably won't make it in time ... So I guess I will join the June noob challenge a week or so later.
  • Aki 3d Studios
    I think I am late :(
  • Gaiascope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm gonna go ahead and call this done. I'd love to light this, but at this point I put all my effort into making the textures work in unlit mode and I need to focus on school. Anyways, here we go!
    [SKETCHFAB]87fd1e38ba424cc9949109bf02dae5e2[/SKETCHFAB]

And the final texturemap
    OuR6gUw.png

Texture (should be) displayed at 100%, those are the actual sizes the model uses. It was a really fun additional challenge to limit myself to 1024x1024. I could have probably been more efficient, but I think it looks pretty good with what I had. The props were an interesting challenge to texture, and I'm not too happy with how the vials turned out, but hey, it works! Kinda.

Im noticing Sketchfab is messing up the transparency sorting on some things, Ill look into fixing that at least.

And that should be it, really. I learned a lot doing this and enjoyed it a lot, I'll certainly keep coming back to these challenges next month!
  • Lumpizaver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good job Gaiascope!

I am also done with this month. Here is the result:

SaDUJFP.png

So far I have only modelled low poly with diffuse texture, so this one is a first. A lot of things could be improved obviously. Actually I learned a lot during the process and if I did the chest again right now I think it would probably look much better/cleaner. Looking forward to other people posting their chests (hopefully someone else modelled the prop :)).
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I know I am a little late but, I had some computer issues and now I am back on track. Please let me know what you guys think! cQdMDB7.jpg
    S2Uor5T.jpgqqUsDIr.jpg
  • putka