Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wip illustration, c&c are welcome

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
seework polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, I have some problems to balance the composition I think because the contrast between the bright area on the right and the shade on the left, and about the lighting is weird the render, any feedback is welcome thanks!

XXtZUBw.jpg

Replies

• seework
    Offline / Send Message
    seework polycounter lvl 6
    so guys, what do you think about change the color of the neon and a little bit the values of the character? (My flatmate says that with the blue panel create a better color armony in the image).
    4SkwIc2.jpg
  • gavinli
    Offline / Send Message
    gavinli polycounter lvl 3
    Hi seework,

Firstly - really interesting image! Pretty much everything about it is very intriguing to say the least :) I think you're absolutely right about the brighter values in that they're overblown out of saturation. Areas such as the light on the wall, the skin and the neon sign all make a lot of use of less saturated, bright values and by toning the values down a tad and introducing some colour, it should look better placed.

If the neon sign is doing that much to the hat, it would probably give off a nice rim-light on that hat as well as the bevelled piece near the left shoulder.

If the organic piece on the character's back is self-illuminated, it would probably bounce some light onto the character's waist piece as well as the surrounding structure holding it in place.

Where the piece the character's hand is leaning on has some reflections of the ground/plant pot, this is one of the best parts of the image and I think the lower-facing parts of the character's bottoms and footwear could use some of the same treatment.

I'd also separate the value of the arms so the silhouette is a quicker read.

So the main thing is just dial back some of the bright values, inject some colour and pick out some interesting areas that the lights in your image can hit.

I hope that helps, keep posting updates - I'd love to see where this image goes!

Best regards,

Gavin