Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jabberwocky Tower [UT4]

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
tzSdXLF.jpg

*Illustration is not mine, but from Graeme Base*

Hello Polycount!

I wanted to show some progress on an environment I am putting together for UT4. The nature of the project, is a small environment with a star asset where its all modeled and sculpted by hand (the tower)

I din't want to post right away as I rarely finish anything. But I got a really good feeling that I will finalize this so I can add to my portfolio.

The scene will be using PRB. But I will also be very experimental with colours and the maps and try to replicate an illustrated effect. We'll see how that works.

The concept is not mine, but by a Melbourne Artist. The original illustration can be found in the book The Jabberwocky. Illustrated by Graeme Base. I want to replicate in 3d as close as posible to the illustration.

Workflow is, base models in 3dmax, import and sculpt in zbrush, export high and decimated low poly, make uvs, make bakes in xnormal, paint in Substance Painter, compose in UT3

If you have any questions, or constructive crit, let me know! I would love for this to be a strong piece.

Currently, most of the sculpting of the tower is done. I still need to do the side guys, doors, the tree and the rocks. I can't wait to have this guy finally sculpted to start texturing.

The first shot is an art test to see how it looks within marmoset, also found in this video.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck8N2CMHz60"]video[/ame]

SLhLoiS.jpg

lHFzDTb.jpg

mQlUjs9.png

UhlVbZL.jpg

FaNea8e.jpg

WSaGM4C.jpg

I9SMwsT.jpg

GKiHvXb.jpg

Replies

• Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Its to much rock mate! I would say that you should make the rock-wall less defined to make it pop less as in your concept. The stairs are great though, and I think you have caught the shapes of the building well. Maybe make the window a bit more wonky and playful? Either way good job so far, and good luck.
  • Obe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obe polycounter lvl 6
    Its to much rock mate! I would say that you should make the rock-wall less defined to make it pop less as in your concept. The stairs are great though, and I think you have caught the shapes of the building well. Maybe make the window a bit more wonky and playful? Either way good job so far, and good luck.

Agree with Nuclear Angel. It's looking nice, but there's currently nowhere for the eye to rest. Treat it like a painting. Some areas need detail for your eye to be drawn. Some areas need less so that they eye can rest.
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suppose the AO of the bricks are too strong at the renders, I could bring them down in some areas, but would take too long to push them all back now. (as I have already spent a lot of time on this and I rather finish it sooner than later) I must say Angel, that you are not the first one to point that the definition is too strong. But its deliberate, but perhaps might not work as well as I thought. A lot of the detail will be vanished after doing the baking, and I will have a lot more control when the bakes are done, and then I can flatten down the geometry when the low poly is done too. Thanks for the input do!

I supose that my biggest flaw while doing art is that I get lost in doing the detail.

Also, please take note that the illustration is not mine! That alone would make me happy! Reason why I am doing the whole thing by hand, its because the tower will have a water color effect with different colors changing across the tower just like the illustration. Will be very interesting on how I will do this.
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update.
    I will be able to push the rocks down and flat them at a later stage.
    I just need to scupt some minor parts in the tower department.

Cant wait to start texturing this guy.
    wNQ0gCt.jpg?1
    T4Mojb7.jpg?1
    wlaOVNF.jpg
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steps done, mainly textured in Substance Painter. Fun times, Cant wait to get done with the rest (now that I have figured out how to use this beauty <3) This is textured and already retopologiced and UV'd with PBR 4k triangles.

RHqpDKj.jpg
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wanted to upload some work in progress, I did a test mesh as well to view how smart materials work within substance designer. Having a lot of fun while doing this.

FkOp3ju.jpg
    Y0Akm0P.jpg
    ygjJuXH.jpg

Very soon I'll be able to compose a scenario.
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have put together a real quick turnover in Marmoset. Yay :D

video
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have decided to share my trello board with this project. I must also disclosed that I have decided to split the project on:

First finalizing the mesh completely (tower)
    And then when Tower is finalized. Doing the terrain Separate.

I have not played that much with UT4 yet, and I rather focus on one task first and then the other.
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My latest update. I am surely happy with it! It has been very slowly but surely going well. Next its to do the Small Towers

gettingThere.jpg
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    This is awesome. I can really feel the fantasy on this. The colour combo blended well. my only crit is to make the steps colour more brighter and deactivated i guess.
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll certainly keep it in mind. I'll do a composite in the end. Unfortunately I got some work going on this week. Deactivated?
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello guys, getting closer. Next is door details, window details of the tower. And texturing the bottom tower extension. Its very gradually coming together.
    Just did the topogunning of lower tower extension.

beautyshot2.jpg
    beautyshot3.jpg
    beautyshot4.jpg
    topogunnedTowerLow.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is coming along well. Came here from your post over on FaceBook, Environment Artists of the Game Industry.

The stones have very uniform-looking bevels, which makes the AO look a bit like rings around each stone.

Is the main stone wall using a tiled texture, or is it uniquely unwrapped? A tiled texture would give you better resolution, and be easier to change.

The stones of the cupola wall have different depth than the stones of the main wall, which looks a little odd.

The wireframe shows a lot of unused loops, is this intentional for some reason? Maybe needed for displacement?

I wonder if you could add some cracks to the big semi-blank areas of the crenelation stonework?

Looking great so far!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the main stone wall using a tiled texture, or is it uniquely unwrapped?

Thats what I was curious about as well. It looks like you uniquely sculpted the entire thing. Pretty much what Eric said, you could be getting better resolution, and focusing on the quality of a tiled texture, vs an entire unique map.

I see where you are trying to go with the colors from the concept...but its not quite working out here. In some of your shots, it looks like its reflecting that color, so it almost comes off like an oily surface. Overall though, you have a bunch of color modulation with no obvious rhyme or reason. It just looks noisy. Looking at the concept, I see a similar situation, but its less of a problem, as the colors tend to run down the side of the walls, almost looking like water wear or something. Try to localize some of this variation instead of just mixing it all together everywhere.

Your sculpting is working out okay, but, like Eric said, you almost have rings around your stones. Its a very clean line. Is there AO in those cracks or something? It makes everything look over simplified. breaking up those edges along the stone pieces with maybe some smaller stone pieces or something will give a little bit more variety and feel more natural/worn. I think your ground/stair section is working much better.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I like the texture colours! not so much the pink background/post process
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello guys, sorry I never had a clue that I got 3 replies! I have been so busy with work and I haven't had a change yet to finish this guy!

The entire tower is hand sculpted, its the overall look that I was aiming for, for the brick to have its own silhouette and for each brick to have its own personality. I think when I reached to the main tower I used a couple of techniques to make it a whole lot faster due to some critique from the steps stonework. People complained that the bricks had too much depth. Suppose too much critique sometimes its not good huh?

I am still intending to finish it, unfortunately I think that I only have time left for this piece to finish it instead of fix it any more. I would like to sculpt and texture the doors and windows and install the tree. Place some banners and call it done. 

Nothing beats a fresh piece to work. This one is long overdue. I am unsure when I am going to finish as I keep getting freelancing work. Thanks for the heads up!

PS, GED, I agreed, I'll fix the post, its a bit full on.

Textured the roof tiles.

• PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Finaly managed to get some time off to keep working on this guy, did the sculpt for one of the doors
  • stilobique
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stilobique polycounter lvl 12
    I like your door sculpt, but  this proportion are strange for a door. I stay here to see your final rendering :) .
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like your door sculpt, but  this proportion are strange for a door. I stay here to see your final rendering :) .
    Its a floor door that will be used at the top of the tower, the more the merrier :) ATM I am doing the retopology and bakes and is looking better than I expected, the computer keeps crashing because the model is not very well obtimized (its a shy 41 million poligons and zbrush is crapping it self)
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanted to show the angle and perspective of the beauty shot, its a locked camera that I intend to keep with the lighting and setup. Id like to aim at finishing the doors, windows, tree, rock, bushes and terrain before fixing anything else. Thanks for the great critique.  I hope I finish this guy right away. I want to work on new and exciting projects.

• PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • hmm_rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
    PacoCasares said:

the computer keeps crashing because the model is not very well obtimized (its a shy 41 million poligons and zbrush is crapping it self)
    Why not use decimation master? And what are you using to retopo? I'll sometimes create a reference mesh that is decimated soley to run better in topogun/ max if needed. You can always used a high polycount to bake later..

Also this is looking really great! I love the concept and the technique you're going with to give it the watercolor effect. The floor door sculpt is lovely!
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the retopology I used a 3D Planar object, I projected it (for the wood, lion and engravings) and then after I did the reprojection I decimated the planar object.
    For the border I used a similar method, but I used the stone mesh instead with reprojection brush for the metal bits. I was going to do the retopology by hand but it would have taken too long.
     It's a touch high (2.4k) but id like it to keep it that way as Id like for the silhouette to remain for the dents and the engravings.
    In an ideal scenario I would have done flat plane for a LOD1 to use way less geometry. Live and learn :)
    I just checked your work. Amazing! I would be over the moon to reach to your level! You have some great stuff

• PacoCasares
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Wanted to provide an update that I decided to bring the whole project in Unreal 4. I have finalized the two doors from the front (distant from the one I made for the top)
    I am well aware that my biggest hurdle as an artist is ever finishing anything. However, I would still like to stand that I am hopeful to use this time in Xmas to finally finish this properly. I will make a post to show some chosen "beauty" shots to stick to. Do some grey-boxing for the flag, tree, and rocks. I would love to wrap this up so I can work on a new project and hopefully a lot smaller.  
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! A further update with the coloring and the effects. I did a re-do with the environment and placement of grass. I might tweak down the fog slightly so. 

• PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Got a WIP for the tree, also I never updated the update for the Doors for the Staircase bottom and the Top. The tree is a real pain because of it (kinda?) Hugs the tower, the floor is inclined, it interacts with some rocks and the flag too. But I think that by using these references it will come along well. I need to simplify it a lot more and refine the branches. 

Would be good to research on doing some bushes and leaves for Unreal next up. 
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I'm loving the tower itself— really loving the aesthetic of it. I think the different hues are a bit too pronounced and bright, like the oranges, pinks, and greens of the stone, I think they're feeling a bit noisy and chaotic at present, as a result.

I'm also not sold on the landscape. Maybe it's how pale and bright it is in the distance. Not sure if it's because of fog or diffuse color, but it looks very hazy, and I'd expect the sky to be nearly white, were it that hazy; regardless, it looks almost unlit, and I don't think it's looking as aesthetically pleasing as it should, with how good the assets look individually.

Here are a few pictures I found of landscapes that I think could be helpful and fit the tone you're going for. Personally, if you want fog/haze, I'd make sure to make it groundfog, with the tops of mountains peaking out from it, or skip fog almost entirely. It could also be good to add some areas of broad shadow, where clouds are passing over the landscape, and some darker colors in general (like pines, or darker grass)

The lighting definitely isn't helping either.

Anyway, just some thoughts! Looking forward to more updates.