Home Technical Talk

3DS Max 2014 - Path Deform (WSM) only partially working

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
Hey all,

So I'm trying to get my mesh to deform to a spline path. I'm using PathDeform(WSM). I've moved the mesh as close to the path as possible. Then I pick path and move to path. This is mostly working the only problem is that its only following the top portion of my path.
If I adjust the percent, it just slides the path along the top portion and the bottom simply skews off at the last angle it seems to understand.
PathDeformIssue.gif

I've tried resetting the Xform on the mesh and the spline. Neither seems to do anything.
Also I should say that the spline was created by selecting the edges of another mesh and choosing create spline from edge selection.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    Reset xform on both objects and set affect pivot and center to objects on both of them.

Also the object that you are path deforming to the spline may end up not being long enough. Use a symmetry modifier and duoble the length. After path deform delete extra polygons.
    Win.
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    Also use the 2nd path deform modifier not the first one.

Maybe the spline has a unwelded vert or is in 2 parts unconnected?

I do a similar technique when making steel tow cables for vehicles.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks Bubba. I did reset the xform and pivots on both objects and tried both Path deform modifiers (world space and non) and they both gave the same results. Didn't check to see if the spline was unwelded... that may have been the problem however I've since just re-created the spline from scratch and that solved the issue so maybe you can't use splines that are created from the selected edges? Anyway problem solved now.
    Thanks for the help!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    did you use the move to path function before filling the whole path? also in my experience the WSM version is more reliable