Home Technical Talk

Marmoset multiple objects glossy reflection?

Mirhale
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Mirhale vertex
Hey everyone,

I was testing a render in marmoset and added two objects at the scene, the main mesh is the crossbow as shown on the image below, however I added a second mesh which is a marble table with a high gloss value to show the crossbow's reflection on the table's surface but the reflections on the marble table didn't somehow have a real time reflection of the crossbow(?) and showed a somehow reflection of an inverted normal of the crossbow.
jYT0592.jpg
pURi6Ek.jpg
This also happens on other parts of the xbow's mesh (ie. the stock and under certain parts of the trigger). On the render menu in marmo I have turned on local reflections and high res shadows and still ending up with the same results, any ideas why? :)

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screen space reflections can only reflect what's actually rendered to the screen. They know nothing about anything outside of the camera frustum, facing away from the camera or hidden behind other objects.

It's just a limitation of the technique.
  • Mirhale
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mirhale vertex
    Ah, but also, i attempted to zoom my main camera far out so it can render out the entire objects in the scene, the render still comes out the same?
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is basically a reflection that can only reflect what's seen on the screen, as in if you imagine the viewport as an image, that's all it can reflect.

Zooming in or out won't affect that much, it still can't show reflections for any surface that points away from the camera or that is behind another object from the camera's point of view.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Yeah, any part of the scene you can't see, the reflections won't be able to see. So, any polygons facing away from the camera, or blocked from the camera's view, won't show up in a screenspace reflection.

It takes some getting used to, but most of the time, it works fantastically, and very convincingly.