Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP mutant on the run

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
anathen polycounter lvl 8
Hello everyone!

It's my second year as a 3D animation student and I'm attempting to create my first fully textured high poly character!

So, this guys is/was a normal guy at some point but started mutating for some reasons.
Since the story takes place during the middle age people were not very understanding and the inquisition decided to chain him, torture him and finally, has they couldn't get any explanation for his mutation they decided to execute him.
Long story short the execution didn't go very well and our "hero" managed to escape , stealing the executor's axe.

I still have a lot to do and I would love some critics/advices!

Thanks!

ndkhXVU.jpg
fCyzQPW.jpg

Replies

• Revocare
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This concept is awesome, and I'm liking the model so far! The axe seems a little blunt, which would make for a painful execution :poly122: Sharpen that edge up! Also, his right arm is too long. Since he's a mutant this is ok but either fix it or find a way to make it look intentional. Subbed!
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    Good start! Right now I feel like everything is a bit soft. I would maybe try making the edge on the ax a bit wider/sharper, tighten up the folds on the clothing and maybe harden up the horns. His left arm especially feels very blobby I guess would be the word I would use to describe it because there are a lot of unreadable features in it at the moment.

If I were you I would make all of the horns separate objects so that they skin can actually be modeled AROUND the horn and show a nice crevice.

Keep up the good work!
  • anathen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the replies!

Revocare : I aggree the axe could use some sharpening and I'll fix that arm right away!

Nickcomeau: I didn't really spend much time on the fabrics yet but they sure need some work :p and I'll follow your advice for the horns.Thanks!
  • anathen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys!

Here is some of my recent progress :)
    I tried to fix every issues mentionned in the comment but I still have work to do!

So as usual critics and advices are much needed!

Thanks!

y3MgcZh.jpg
    t90N39B.jpg
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    Great update! What is the material on the ax? Can't really tell what it is at the moment. Also, maybe add more teeth? And the pants could use a bit of work. Can't really tell what material those are either they look a bit hard at the moment. The upper body is looking really sick right now though!
  • anathen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks nick!
    I didn't really work much on the axe yet but I was thinking of a rusty,damaged kinda metal.
    For the pants I totally agree! Gotta soften those up!
  • anathen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello guys!

Here's an update of what I did recently:
    I tried to make the pants look softer, I changed the axe a little and overall I changed/fixed a lot of little things.
    I'm planning to start painting soon but I would love some advice and critics first!
    Thanks!

G6bBsNX.jpg

6OrdaO1.jpg
  • Juras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Juras polycounter lvl 4
    Hi there!

Very nice sculpt you have there so far! Really digging the design :)

There are still some things that you could improve though. The palms of the hands (especially the right hand) looks unfinished and with no detail (like wrinkles). I am personally usually lazy when it come to hands as they are my least favorite part to sculpt, so I can understand if you're feeling the same about hands, but it's still important that the hands still match the level of detail that the rest of the sculpt has :)

Another thing that you could improve in my opinion are the pants. You have the main forms of the pants done well so it's just the cloth wrinkles that needs more work imo. I could suggest using the Slash3 brush fo that. By taking down the intensity to about 20 and using a fairly large brush size, with Zadd and Zsub modes gave me a really nice effect for making cloth wrikles :)

Last but not least, I think that the shape of the front armor plates on the lower legs brings down the whole silhouette of your character a bit, atleast in the front view. By narrowing the width of the armor plates around the area where the ankles are and then making it wider where the upper calfs are it would make your character appear more "v taper" which would make the silhouette more appealing :)

Last thing that also caught my eye were the feet. I can't really tell how their shape looks without the side view, but from what I can see I think you could also improve them a bit (make them a bit bigger maybe?).

Apart from those small things that can very easily be fixed, everything else looks great! Keep up the good work! :D
  • anathen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the detailed answer Juras!

I have to admit that I kinda ignored the hands until the last moment :p
    Regarding the pants I'm gonna try your technique then!
    The feet and leg armor will be fixed right away! I agree they need some changes :)

Again thanks for the kind words!
    Going right back at it!
  • anathen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys!

More update here!
    I changed the leg plate's shape and added some stuff on it because it looked kinda boring before..
    I tried to improve the pants according to what was said :)

So from now I'll start polypainting! (there will probably be some changes/add along the way though:p )

Thanks for reading!

qe809Gv.jpg
    dHzys40.jpg
  • Juras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Juras polycounter lvl 4
    Very nice improvement! The lower body looks much better now, I love what you did with the armor plates :)

Good luck with polypainting and keep updating your progress! :D
  • anathen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Juras your advices really helped! Thanks!
  • anathen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone!
    After a looong hiatus due to some school projects I had to work,( some cartoony/pixar style character that I might upload one day:p) I will finally continue my mutant and give him some color!
    I'm also planning to animate him at some point though that might take a while too..

Here is my progress on the polypaint!
    I went for a green/dead kinda theme and I'm thinking about adding much more blood or not to give him a berzerker/desperate beast feeling.
    Let me know what you think!

AgqAXfO.jpg?1

ppNb4NX.jpg?1

tprOjlk.jpg
    Blood'n stuff
  • Debasish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Debasish polycounter lvl 4
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Cool Creature :)
    In my opinion, you should exaggerate his "deformed" body parts to push his silouhette and make him more interesting.

Keep it up!
  • anathen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Debasish - Thanks man!

Crazy_pixel- I agree with you but I'm a little worried that if I exaggerate it too much the animation part will be too difficult ( I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to rigging and animating ) so I might do 2 version a normal one and more deformed one :) anyway thanks for the advice!
  • anathen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a while since last update! I'm finishing my characters for my portofolio so here is my latest improvement on the Mutant!