Home Technical Talk

MODO - Transferring UVs?

Tzur_H
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
So.. I exported a model as OBJ to unwrap and pack in UVLayout.
When importing back into MODO and using the copy and paste UVs function to my original mesh. MODO only copies 2 polygons(!). Anyone know what's going? The topology didn't change at all, I don't get it.
I need to copy the UVs back to my original since I've got morph maps for cage and exploded version that I've already set up pre UVs.

Replies

• admir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    admir polycounter lvl 18
    Tzur_H wrote: »
    So.. I exported a model as OBJ to unwrap and pack in UVLayout.
    When importing back into MODO and using the copy and paste UVs function to my original mesh. MODO only copies 2 polygons(!). Anyone know what's going? The topology didn't change at all, I don't get it.
    I need to copy the UVs back to my original since I've got morph maps for cage and exploded version that I've already set up pre UVs.

Try Transfer... from Vertex map menu, choose UV map..... It should works flawlessly.

A
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, there's a transfer vertex maps option - it copies from the background mesh to the foreground - you probably want Distance rather than Raycast for the Sampling Method if it's an identical mesh.

The copy/paste is reliant on identical polygon & vertex IDs which aren't guaranteed to match up between two different files.
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    I'm getting this when trying to use the Transfer:
    MKbnqhv.jpg

It worked for transferring the morph maps from my original into the properly UVed mesh though, so I'm happy :] But I'd still like to know why did it fail transferring the UVs, or if there's another way of transferring UVs?

Cheers guys!
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the issue there is discontinuous UVs... I've got something that might help, will post up in a bit.
  • admir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    admir polycounter lvl 18
    Tzur_H wrote: »
    I'm getting this when trying to use the Transfer:
    MKbnqhv.jpg

It worked for transferring the morph maps from my original into the properly UVed mesh though, so I'm happy :] But I'd still like to know why did it fail transferring the UVs, or if there's another way of transferring UVs?

Cheers guys!

If that happens, try splitting uvs (and mesh) so each poly is separate and then fire transfer, this will eliminate "discotinued UVs".

A