Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Blair vs. Warrior Bug (Feedback requested!!)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
LloydHallam polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys! This is my first post on Polycount! As I mentioned in my introduction post, I'm an aspiring animator and I'm hoping that with your feedback I can improve. :)

My current project is a small fight scene with psuedo-quick time events. My original intention was to have this animation in Unreal Engine 4 with real quick time events. Alas I'm still somewhat new to Unreal Engine 4.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HHoCjA9M2Y[/ame]

Thanks in advance guys!

Replies

• Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rmunday polycounter lvl 9
    Honestly I think an animation that is over 2 minutes is a very ambitious task, I am by no means a professional but I know it can take months to animate and polish even 10 seconds of good animation so you have a huge task ahead of you. I would definitely recommend just putting the long beginning aside and focus entirely on the fight sequence.

You have 2 characters who vary differently in how they move and it would be an excellent piece when you get into just focusing on that.

I would also say go back and work on your poses and timing, the hits just lack impact at the minute, the camera movement doesn't help too much at the moment. Focus on getting those hits to look nice, work on the timing and it will be awesome when it is does.

I shall be keeping an eye on your progress, definitely have the direction down so lets see what you can do with it :)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I think you bit off a little too much. As Rmunday said, over 2 minutes is a lot.

Your weakest aspect of it all is definitely the camera. My suggestion would to be to focus on the fight sequence, but ditch the camera work for now. Make sure the animation is perfect before you start moving the camera all around.

For the camera, you`re breaking the line pretty much every camera cut. Research the 180-degree rule. The jist of it all is that your camera cuts are confusing. You have the character looking at this item screen left, then the next cut she is walking away from the same place, but still screen left. It confuses the viewer and makes it hard to place the character in a specific location in our minds.

Also, a lot of your camera movements are jarring, and hide your animation. Zoom out, keep the camera in place, and see how the animation looks.
  • LloydHallam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LloydHallam polycounter lvl 8
    Cheers for the feedback so far guys! For now I'll be focusing on the meat of the fighting, making sure you can really feel the impacts and add a bit of weight to the sword swings.

I'll focus on that before I do some serious research into my camera work. Thanks again :)