Home› Adobe Substance

question about efficiency and texture sets

mzprox
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
mzprox polycounter lvl 5
Hi!

I'm learning texture painter and got a couple of questions.
In a tutorial it was shown that I should have several texture sets as it's easier to paint/texture them. However it seems that each texture set is baked out separately.. which I think is bad.. I want my object to be in one uv space (I found that SP can'T combine the maps currently) So questions:

How bad is it for games to have many smaller texture sets instead of one bigger?

Could you recommend me an easy workflow how to recombine my separately exported maps? I read SD can do it, but I know nothing about SD.. I might try the demo if it's still the only best option.

Third question is unrealted: generally how good/bad idea is to export my maps for ue4 in two textures: one for diffuse and rhoughness in its alpha channel, and one normal map with metalness in its alpha channel?

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It's always good to pack data into rgba channels to save video memory, but you may want to use another rgb to store your roughness and metallic instead of alpha channel as once DXT compressed, an RGBA = 2xRGB in video memory.

By packing in a new RGB you end up with 3 RGB instead of 4(2 RGBA) in video memory, and you got an extra channel left for opacity or something else.

Having multiple smaller textures for a mesh will increase the amount of draw calls but it's sometimes a better option if these small textures can be reused on other assets. If your textures are truly unique to this mesh, you'd better put as much as possible on one UV set.