Home Technical Talk

Shader Forge Beginner - Where do I start?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
I'm a 3D artist part of a small team making a game and I've been given the task of building shaders for our game. While I don't have any experience whatsoever in making shaders or programming, my manager decided that since I have knowledge of materials and an artistic eye, I would be the best candidate to dive into making the shaders for our project. He wants me to start small by making basic shader solutions for things like wallpaper, glass, and metals. The problem is: i don't know what I'm doing. I've watched a few tutorials from the creator of the plugin, and I can follow along, but following steps doesn't help me much if I don't understand WHY I'm doing them. Does anyone know of a site or video series that helps explain how shaders work for absolute beginners so that I can build a solid foundation of knowledge before I start this work?

(My manager just informed me that Unity 5 might change our needs a little bit, the difference between unity 4 and 5 shaders is also something I'm in the dark about.)

Any info is helpful, thank you!!