Home Quixel Megascans

IN PROGRESS: Can't properly save a Smart Material

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
Every time I try to make a new Smart material it runs through it's script but gives me a default grey texture at the end of it.

Couple things to note in case you ask:

1. I ran both PS and Quixel in Admin mode.
2. I have installed the most recent patch.

What could I be doing wrong? Thanks for you help. And apologies if this has been asked before.

Replies

• Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Keen!

What username do you have in windows? If you have a username that contains unsupported characters its possible that the suite will behave this way.
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My windows log in username? To access my computer?

Or are you talking about the username registered to the Quixel license?

Windows: Loren

I should mention that when I had the trial I was able to make the custom smart materials just fine (same computer). One of my co-workers is finishing up his trial and he also has no issues making smart materials. And we're doing the exact same steps.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, should be more clear, by default windows saves the smart materials on C drive, in a path that includes your username, so if your document folder contains non-alphanumerical characters that could cause problems. But since your name is "loren" it should not be a problem.

A few questions, in the folder where you save your smart material, does it save the thumbnails and the xml file? do you get any error messages in the process? would you mind posting a screen of your layer stack?
  • stumpinater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you already assigned a colour ID to the Smart material while before you have saved it? I have been having issues when saving smart materials when I had them pre-assigned. Thats when I have had Photoshop dish out errors. Should save fine as long as no Colour ID's have been assigned before saving.
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric - It does have the xml and thumbnails. and I posted a screen grab of the smart material I'm trying to create. I have not received any errors in the process of making a smart material. It just shows up Gray is all.

Stump - I actually just put in a solid white color for the colour ID since right now I'm just trying to make smart materials. Not trying to texture anything specific yet.

uLmZEcC.jpg
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    May I ask, are you using anything custom in these smart materials? Like custom patterns or custom grunge-maps?
  • Polycare609
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir when i save my smart Materials, it sucessfully saved but all masks and textures are not created in material, masks and texture are empty....
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Did you create the masks using DynaMask? Smart Materials cannot save PS-specific masks. If you used DynaMask, try running Photoshop as an admin once, close it, then run Suite to see if that fixes it.