Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Shipping Container game asset

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
DavidLindh polycounter lvl 3
Hello.
I’m currently working on improving my skills in creating game assets and building up a portfolio. The final product will be a small harbor scene diorama built in Unity.
I especially need help with texturing. I have a lot of knowledge in photo editing using Photoshop but it feels like I’m not reaching all the way.

I’m working with Photoshop without any plugins, Maya, xNormal and Unity.
The images are rendered only with diffuse texture without normal or any light information.

Thanks for your help, David.

container1.jpg
container2.jpg
container3.jpg
container4.jpg
container5.jpg
container_diffuse.jpg

Replies

• altermind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    altermind polycounter lvl 5
    good work.. but really needs a secondary normal map layer to push the bumps and scratches. Some of the normal map deformations in the large panel geo are way to strong also. (I live next to a shipping yard)
    also.. the door hinges feels off
  • DavidLindh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidLindh polycounter lvl 3
    Thank you for noticing the hinges, made a huge difference to the overall look on the front. Just realized i misunderstood you ment with the "normal map deformations". The texture with the dents in it is to strong and I also bothers me on the gradient on the top.

I also pushed on creating normal, specular and gloss textures, bit it feels lite there is a quite lot more tweaking to do.
    The way I'm tackling this is first I created a clean finish and then adding layers off dirt on top.
    Used a sand texture masked by a grudge map and then masked it again with a modified curvature and occlusion map.

container_1.jpg
    container_3.jpg
    container_4.jpg
    container_5.jpg
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    Lovin the materials you've got going so far. With all of the little holes and rust that is starting it'd be cool to see some of the paint get chipped off/messed up a bit too to really sell it more as a used crate. I'd ship my stuff in this crate for sure :P
  • apllana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apllana polycounter lvl 8
    It's already looking much better but I think you could improve it further. The noise under the paint could be scaled down a bit and stretched horizontally and the cavities should generally have fewer bumps and scratches, whereas they seem to be equally distributed in your mesh. Here is a huge pic for reference, which might be in a different style to what you're going for, but that's for you to decide. You've also improved on the presentation, which is king.