Home General Discussion

Daredevil on Netflix

Replies

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    The finale was definitely the weakest of the first season. That final fight was meh compared to the rest of the show.

Season 2 is being pegged as daredevil vs punisher. Can't wait!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I enjoyed the series, it was cool. Not to be cynical or anything but the only thing I dislike about series like this is that they don't move with good pacing toward a conclusion

For example will we ever see an episode where daredevil has finally cleaned up hells kitchen and the city is happy and he's a big hero? I would have to say thats unlikely because then they would have to stop making new episodes, kind of makes the show pointless right from the start if this is true.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Ged wrote: »
    For example will we ever see an episode where daredevil has finally cleaned up hells kitchen and the city is happy and he's a big hero? I would have to say thats unlikely because then they would have to stop making new episodes, kind of makes the show pointless right from the start if this is true.
    I mean.. is that not the case with any superhero story ever? Is Batman ever gonna clean up Gotham? Are the Avengers or Superman ever going to make the world totally safe?
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    I am pretty sure the point of Daredevil is everything is supposed to backfire on him as his life becomes more and more of a living hell because of the life he chose. Nothing is supposed to get better, everything is supposed to get worse.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Shiniku wrote: »
    I mean.. is that not the case with any superhero story ever? Is Batman ever gonna clean up Gotham? Are the Avengers or Superman ever going to make the world totally safe?

Gotham and the entire world(for the avengers) arent going to be safe forever and that makes sense as they are huge places and theres always new threats. But with Daredevil its just one district of a city, surely it could get a bit better over the series, they could at least make out that there is some kind of progress toward his goals and they do a little I guess for example the newspapers now report him in a positive way.

If this series is just about how things get worse the harder he tries to fix them then that is just the most depressing tv show Ive ever heard of and I want to steer clear of it.
  • ironbelly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
    Well, I think saying that things are at their worst at the end of season 1 isn't accurate. The city improves at the cost of Daredevil's own soul, as it were. That's the point to me is it is a story of self sacrifice. I don't think that makes it depressing, it just makes him a "tragic hero," which is what he is.

That said, also, since we're on Season 1 of at least a 2 season show with a spinoff already coming.... it's safe to say that the whole story isn't over yet. Ergo things will probably get worse before they get better but it isn't impossible that they'll end the entire series on things having been improved, and Hell's Kitchen being a safer, better, place than it was on average.

Probably not though :) There's always terrible people in the comic world and the hero exists to counter them. It isn't how bad is it today, its how bad would it be if not for the sacrifice.

Or its just a comic, lets not overthink it ;)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Ged wrote: »
    I enjoyed the series, it was cool. Not to be cynical or anything but the only thing I dislike about series like this is that they don't move with good pacing toward a conclusion.
    I'd rather have a show, with no clear conclusion, than a show that clearly has a conclusion in mind, but drags on, because of popularity. That's the difference between something that should be a TV series, and something that should be a movie.

A couple examples that come to mind, LOST, and Heroes (hopefully they'll do better with 'reborn').
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    notman wrote: »
    I'd rather have a show, with no clear conclusion, than a show that clearly has a conclusion in mind, but drags on, because of popularity. That's the difference between something that should be a TV series, and something that should be a movie.

A couple examples that come to mind, LOST, and Heroes (hopefully they'll do better with 'reborn').

that is exactly how I feel daredevil is heading(lost, heroes etc), it should have a clear conclusion in mind but I cant see one coming, the writers can therefore meander about in obscure little story arcs and never actually embue any overall message or meaniningful progression.

I did really like it, I just hope it isnt going the way Im describing.
    ironbelly wrote: »
    Well, I think saying that things are at their worst at the end of season 1 isn't accurate. The city improves at the cost of Daredevil's own soul, as it were. That's the point to me is it is a story of self sacrifice. I don't think that makes it depressing, it just makes him a "tragic hero," which is what he is.

well said, I hope youve got it right there :)
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the Daredevil show does have a conclusion. It's called The Defenders. Though I am sure there will be a Defenders season 2.
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    So Daredevil season 2 is out. I just watched the third episode and I'm liking it so far. I think Marvel has established a nice balance between the more colorful film world and the grimdark serials on Netflix. (I've heard Jessica Jones is also good / dark, but have yet to watch it myself.) Marvel really seems to outmaneuver DC at every turn these days.

Third episode was a little slow, but

holy shit the payoff at the end with the fight sequence in the stairwell was awesome. Some good character development between the Punisher and Daredevil as well. 

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It has some good moments, mostly in the first half, but for my money the first season is far, far better. Daredevil is at its best when it's staying somewhat grounded in reality (relatively speaking at least) - the more fantastical stuff they get in there the less compelling it becomes. The fact that they're following up the amazing Fisk villain role with such a vaguely defined enemy doesn't exactly help. Punisher is mostly good. Electra is mostly not.

It's not a bad watch, but it ultimately comes off being a bit flat. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    The Punisher's carnal rage is palpable!  Looking forward to what he looks like as he sharpens his anger into a focused ethos.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The lawyer scenes are a lot more compelling than one might expect them to be. I'd be kind of interested in a series that centres on regular folks trying to do law enforcement in a world with costumed loonies flailing about in the background. Maybe something like the Sam and Twitch series from the Spawn universe. 
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    Just saw some of season 2, still has the best fight scenes. 

@Steve Schulze i think POWERS is like that? I haven't seen it yet though. 
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    POWERS should have been good, but the first season was horrible... I've seen people make home videos, with better story, acting and visuals.

As for season 2 of Daredevil, I really enjoyed it. The fight scenes were still amazing, and the Punisher was really well done. That Fisk/Matt encounter was great.

I do miss the lawyer part of the show, and I'm glad they fit some in, near the end. I wish it had more of a balance though, and less of Froggy acting like Matt's mom.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loved the second season. Though I hate Elektra. Such a stupid character. This season was also a little heavy handed on all the Ninja Turtles stuff going on. (Yes I know. Ninja Turtles was a parody of DareDevil.)

Punisher is the best. And the violence was brutal and amazing.