Home Technical Talk

MODO - how to adjust UV grid size for lightmaps?

Tzur_H
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
Hello again MODO fellows, I know how to do this in Maya but I've no clue where are the options to adjust the grid in MODO! How do you do this?

Thanks for the help! :thumbup:

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hit 'o' while hovered over the viewport and go to the Drawing and Control tab on the popover.

You can set up your grid spacing in there.
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Such a fast answer, thank you!

I'm not too sure on how to set it properly though :D

If I want a grid of 64x64 pixels, I set grid spacing along U+V to 1 and then subgrid count to 64x64 on the U and V? Is this the correct way of doing it?

Also, is there a way of resetting it to default after I've messed up with it?

And last question, if we're on the subject of UV editor in MODO, how can I snap UVs to the subgrid? I've tried grid snapping and vertices but it's only snapping to the corners of the 0-1 space.
  • Count Vertsalot
    UV space is setup in ratios. 1:1, or 2:1, etc. The default is always 1:1. Pixels don't matter until you export a texture map. I don't think you can snap to the subgrid.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    To snap to the sub grid go to Grid Snap / Use Fixed Grid and lower the value, a value of 2 will snap to the sub grid set at U:5 V:5

mqivcHs.png
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Good question, i sometimes need to setup my texture to a 2:1 ratio how can you do that in Modo ?
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Use Image Ratio in your uv options
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Yes i gotcha, but i still need to "Add layer" --> "Load image" and import a 2048 x 1024 psd file to fill in the UV map. I thought Modo had a way to manually enter the digits. But again it works.

image_ratio.jpg
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    I haven't used the image ratio setting in awhile; I find it simpler to pack my map in U -1 to 1 and V 0 to 1 (so, the normal UV square plus the one next to it). Then when I'm going to export, I duplicate/merge my mesh and with origin action center, scale to 50% in U and move +0.5 in U. Done. Although now that I think about it I can't remember what annoyances I had with the image ratio solution exactly.
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks all for the help!

I have another question, I didn't want to open a new thread for it.

Is there a way to show shell bleeding in X pixels in the UV editor? I saw this feature in Headus UV Layout and was wondering if there's something similar in MODO?
  • Count Vertsalot
    I don't think so, but you can actually use the paint tools and paint inside the UV editor and do something like that manually.