Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

NASA Cargo Shuttle

Nosslak
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
I was recently contacted by a company making a space game (not sure if I should name any names) about working for them as a junior vehicle artist. It would be my first industry gig so of course I got excited and wanted to jump right in, so I started working on a spaceship to show my interest to them. During my interview the interviewers told me they liked what they saw and that they would like me to finish it and use this in place of a regular art test.

Here's what my ship looks like so far:
Nasa%20Cargo%20Shuttle%20HP3.png
Here's a closeup of the landing gear as well to show the level of the detail I'm going for on the more exposed parts:
Nasa%20Cargo%20Shuttle%20HP3%20landinggear.png

It's based on concept art by Oscar Cafaro (used with permission):
c6c70b6fabecf0dc29482fdd576333ed.jpg
b7e8bac00e2f7829bbd4f6eed05ef534.jpg

Todo:
- Rethink the landing gear as it seems too big to collapse into the ship right now. I might need to base it more on something like a small private jet instead of a big Boeing 747.
- Add detail to the engines
- Add more detail on the wings
- Model the inside of the cockpit

I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback!

Replies

• Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Compared to the concept, your engines are to fat. In the concept they are not as "tall" and more sleek in design. Although I noticed in the top/side views, its different. So I guess its up to preference. Very nice work! And impressive portfolio! Hope you get the job man!
  • Damian Nachman
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    Pretty impressive modelling so far. Clean and dope.
    Looks promising, so I'm subbing :)

As for the landing gear, in the concept's perspective view it seems like there are only 2 wheels per side, but on the ortho it seems like its a triple-wheele setup. Your landing gear has 4 wheels per side, which does make it seem abit bulky.
    Try going with something like this:
    122235main_ShuttleLanding_516x331.jpg

Edit: Oh... and I really like the presentation. mind sharing which renderer did you use?
  • Nosslak
    Offline / Send Message
    Compared to the concept, your engines are to fat. In the concept they are not as "tall" and more sleek in design. Although I noticed in the top/side views, its different. So I guess its up to preference. Very nice work! And impressive portfolio! Hope you get the job man!
    Thanks, I know the engines are a bit taller in my version than the perspective drawing. If I'll make some smaller landing gear the engines would probably look a bit better with a sleeker shape as well.

You've got a really nice portfolio too, I really love your Jeep!
    Pretty impressive modelling so far. Clean and dope.
    Looks promising, so I'm subbing :)

As for the landing gear, in the concept's perspective view it seems like there are only 2 wheels per side, but on the ortho it seems like its a triple-wheele setup. Your landing gear has 4 wheels per side, which does make it seem abit bulky.
    Try going with something like this:
    122235main_ShuttleLanding_516x331.jpg
    Thank you! Yeah, the landing gear is just too big right now, so I'll definitely need to make them sleeker. I'd like something a little bit bulkier than what's going on on that rocket but I think it's definitely a step in the right direction.
    Edit: Oh... and I really like the presentation. mind sharing which renderer did you use?
    For the first shot it's just a simple render from Blender Internal as I just wanted to post something quick. The landing gear shot is from Keyshot (as it's the same shot I presented on the interview) with a simple black paint material and one of the colorful interior HDRs.
  • mazerius1st
    Offline / Send Message
    mazerius1st polycounter lvl 5
    When designing landing gear you need to consider multiple factors. What is the main use of the ship, how much is the dead weight and how much is the cargo capacity.
    But if you follow the specs in the concept it seems it is designed with the same specs as the current space shuttle so even if you design the exact same landing gear system it will work.
  • Nosslak
    Offline / Send Message
    When designing landing gear you need to consider multiple factors. What is the main use of the ship, how much is the dead weight and how much is the cargo capacity.
    But if you follow the specs in the concept it seems it is designed with the same specs as the current space shuttle so even if you design the exact same landing gear system it will work.
    You're right, I've changed the landing gear to just use a single wheel pair per side so it'll match the concept and some real-life references more closely. I'll post an update showing it off later.
    Shinigami wrote: »
    can i have cage wires?
    Sure, here you go, mate:
    Nasa%20Cargo%20Shuttle%20HP4%20wires.png
    I am heavily using modifiers in Blender to keep the model somewhat easily manageable. So here's what I'm doing:
    1. I split and creased the purple edges.
    2. I added some thickness to the panels with a solidify modifier (shell modifier in Max).
    3. I used the double SubD workflow with 2 subdivision surface modifiers so that the first one would use the creasing and the second one would ignore it.

If I were to re-do the model I'd use bevel weights (and modifier) instead of the subd to get the panels looking right early on (and keep it more manageable), as I jumped a bit too early onto subd because I needed to have something to present on the interview. The wires are a bit messy in places for the same reason as well, but I think I've managed to hide most shading problems pretty well.