Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Spirit Lords - FX dump - (mobile)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Zoid polycounter lvl 14
:wave: I wanted to share with polycount the latest release 'Spirit Lords' [discontinued] nearly two years at Kabam and showcasing the work.

playlist - https://youtu.be/rqWattfSMXc?list=PLlJ07Rirjk9GAUySNQbGIIUI_emiatnt5

youtube links

- I was responsible for all in-game FX, native inside Unity (no 3rd party asset store/plugins nor particle middleware)
- assets are traditional animation sprites within Shuriken emitters to get a blended style; hand-drawn feel + randomness
- 2D work is Photoshop and Flash
- predominately all spells are handled with just 1 simple blended-Additive Shader

three small examples

Chain Lightning
chainLightningpng
https://torbach78.sites.google.com/site/torbach78/unity/chainlightning

Flame Hands
flamingHandspng
https://torbach78.sites.google.com/site/torbach78/unity/flaminghands

iceStormpng

Replies

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really good work! congrats! did you use any cool tricks eg custom shaders or a bespoke particle system or some wierd awesome texture sheet script? Did you come up against any really complex problems that you had to solve? Im making quite a bit of unity vfx lately.
  • PeteHawk
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteHawk polycounter lvl 12
    Such a cute game, looks great well done, I'm interested.
    I'm also interested in your vfx pipeline a little more, as I'm researching to do this sort of stuff for a game I'm working with. Maya to Unity, would be great if you could show more :)
  • Zoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 14
    (outside of asset creation) it's native, no 3rd party creation or scripts drive the visuals and most use the same shader.

Shuriken handles 95% of spells, sometimes mechanim when necessary

event triggers are handled through front-end and most of the challenge the magnitude - memory, draw calls, overdraw/LOD system

visual challenges from what I recall
    • accuracy of a swirling black hole/vortex
    • vortex of flying crows
    • drool that stretches and swings from a monsters lips.
    • destructible objects to feel like they physically shatter without any collision nor dismantling of the model
    • 2D traditional Sword/swooshes matching imported character animation arcs
    • hits/splashes that can cover large monster but also tiny monsters without clipping the ground :poly127:

having a 2D traditional animation on a surface without a shader was handled though mechanim; just key the UV's

there were two front-end system tools I loved

1) modifier that passes size so a producer can alter spells per component; a ring size 5 become 6 without a new prefab or my help :thumbup:
    2) making spells loop by default infinitely and using a grace period to fade them off, rather than a hard deactivation - absolutely crucial as it cut the number of prefabs and multiplied the amount of spell variations possible
    PeteHawk wrote: »
    I'm also interested in your vfx pipeline a little more,
    I did have a small tutorial I was meaning to post i'll keep it brief to just images and you can work out the rest

Untitled-2.png

Untitled-4.png

charging.gif?attachauth=ANoY7cq3e0LsogbDhBuuIYDgAzFzr4o18o50GFldu7pMb4V3Kl4ljzkVivz4v8M2ttBZwI5lMI5Lp7Hmwa7G9nu_O3tIRRUOMz4VaZd75nE5GaUsIcIERLxZ76v_LFGIOeQ-FJxyZK6v1AlKO4Ym_AOkJ46Lld81n0Qpiw8NXWG8Exn_dHCRBX7Tb-NG1Kca0EOSkdN2U_Mq0BVQyiYj8V-l7NdVbbSspQ%3D%3D&attredirects=0
  • jenioss
    Offline / Send Message
    jenioss polycounter lvl 3
    Wait! hold on.. All these vfx are made with Shuriken? o_o sick job man
    I expecially like the chain lighting effect! I always love cartoon vfx styles :D