Home General Discussion

Resume help/critique

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
I have to do a resume for my class, so I listed what I can, even while I'm still working on my portfolio.

uhQUeN0.png

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Quick questions, since at least my take onc ritique is dependent on this, is this ALL your possible projects, games, work experience presented on this resume?
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    I'm sure you have more and are not limited to '3 Skills'. No need to put the postcodes of places like your school/college onto a CV/resume... My advice would be to go onto an artists portfolio that you admire and have a mooch at their CV and take some pointers from that :D

Be sure to give your portfolio site some love/attention as 9 times out of 10 that's what people will go to first from a covering letter, if your art doesn't 'appeal' to them then reading a CV won't sway their opinion, that's almost a guarantee.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Quick questions, since at least my take onc ritique is dependent on this, is this ALL your possible projects, games, work experience presented on this resume?
    I don't have any work experience, so I'm told to list all the skills I have that is related to getting a job in the industry. I will want to of course, include actual or future art pieces that pertain to the above.

The gist is we're suppose to make a resume that can actually be looked at by HR.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Do not use the subheading "3 skills". Out of the context of an assignment it's really strange and arbitrary.
    List all your skills, under the subheading "Skills". Don't limit it to 3, list the stuff that needs to be listed. Additionally, seconding Optinium, go look at some other artists' resumes, have a look at the kind of skills they list and how they phrase them. The way you've phrased these is a little bit odd!

Qualifications should be merged into skills, really.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Do you have anything else that may speak to any work-applicable experiences, like volunteering for an organization, Boy Scouts, side=projets you have done or lead?

If you have any of those, list them!
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    So I took some hints from different artist's resumes/cvs and added my volunteer experience.

I have one problem though. Some of the resumes skills I read vastly differ from each other so please tell me if what I wrote is too vague (or not vague enough). Also, is my volunteer experience positioned properly or should it be ranked higher/lower on the list?

cmFgzpI.jpg

Ignore the red underscore, that's just Word.
  • Joebewon
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Jordan,

Have you thought about trying to use tables in word? It makes the presentation a bit cleaner instead of just straight points on your resume. I feel like when it comes to skills that would essentially be stuff you place on a cover letter. For example you’d list your software and then when applying to a job explain how you have all those skills. Or you could list your software, and then place the skills underneath them.

For example:
    3DS Max:
    -High to Low Poly Asset Creation
    -Efficient UV Mapping

Also, I know it’s a resume so it doesn't need to be a portfolio piece. But are you going to snaz it up a bit? It’s looking pretty bland right now, and there are a lot of templates for resumes you could use and adjust!
  • pangarang
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    I've worked as a manager in VFX and Animation, and currently in Games. In my experience, when it comes to hiring artists, it is the leads and art directors whose decision carries the most weight. The reel is what matters most of all to them. They will only look at your resume if your reel impresses them. So - though you probably already know this - focus on your reel.

Having said that, your revised resume could use a small tweak. Break up your skills into hard skills and soft skills. And group your points as they relate to each other. Below, I've separated out your hard and soft skills, and grouped your hard skills from broad pipeline knowledge, to more granular skills like Normal Map creation.

Hard Skills (meaning, directly applicable to your job)
    - AAA / Mobile Pipeline
    - High to Low Poly Asset Creation
    - Digital Sculpting
    - Asset Modularity
    - Physically based texturing (not sure what this is. Projection Mapping?)
    - UV Mapping (whether or not it is efficient is up to the leads / art directors to decide)
    - Normal Map creation
    - Strong traditional art background
    - Thumbnail Sketching

Soft Skills (skills that make working with you a pleasure)
    - Can handle and provide criticism from peers
    - Eager to learn new techniques and workflows (I just threw this in)

Also, don't forget your professional objective. This is your chosen field - tell that what business you have submitting your resume, beyond getting a job.