Home Technical Talk

Zbrush crazy geometry?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AnyaElvidge interpolator
Hi all,

You've probably seen this problem before, but I wasn't sure what to search to find out more!

I kinda get why this is happening, but don't know how to fix it. ZRemesher won't work because my model is too high poly, I've accidentally deleted my lower subdivs at some point, and decimating/zremeshing just takes all the detail out my model. :(

1980224_10204053658447813_5423415725411294554_o.jpg?oh=6f6cc0d8acc0e4c6ed990976e717bc8e&oe=552888D1&__gda__=1428728250_e9d9a2b1337d68fb1448b6e5adc3c7ab

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    you can reconstruct your subdivs
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Neox wrote: »
    you can reconstruct your subdivs

Apparently there are triangles in my mesh and I can't... :( Am I going to have to restart?
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Freeze SubDivision Levels if you have them > Zremesher> Unfreeze

or

Duplicate subtools > Zremesh > Project details from highpoly to your new geometry (Tool/Subtool/Project> ProjectAll). Subdivide your new geometry to the level you need to transfer everything from the original mesh.
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Freeze SubDivision Levels if you have them > Zremesher> Unfreeze

or

Duplicate subtools > Zremesh > Project details from highpoly to your new geometry (Tool/Subtool/Project> ProjectAll). Subdivide your new geometry to the level you need to transfer everything from the original mesh.

Just tried those methods... I lose a lot of detail when I project my original geometry onto the new mesh... :/ Is this because I'm not subdividing enough? It's at 5 million polys.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Just tried those methods... I lose a lot of detail when I project my original geometry onto the new mesh... :/ Is this because I'm not subdividing enough? It's at 5 million polys.

You may want to play around with ProjectionShell setting, maybe it just can't capture all the detail. Or maybe you don't have enough polys, the system should be able to transfer any kind of details from one mesh to another.
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    You may want to play around with ProjectionShell setting, maybe it just can't capture all the detail. Or maybe you don't have enough polys, the system should be able to transfer any kind of details from one mesh to another.

I've managed to get it working as well as I think I can hope... though now I'm sculpting at 28 million polys...

I used inflate and Dynamesh, as my friend from uni suggested. Hopefully it won't kill my PC! There are areas that are barely going to be sculpted, and are just as hig-poly as the sculpted bits. Hence the 28 mill polys.

Apart from Decimationmaster, I don't think there are any ways to sort this, are there?

Thanks for your help SuperFranky!
  • jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Are you still using dynamesh? I wouldn't use dynamesh at anything above a million polys...

If you have 28 mill but lots of sub divs and separate subtools, thats probably fine. If you can split some of the pieces to other subtools it will help. Depending on the character I may even split the model into separate zbrush files--ie: one for clothes, one for the main body, one for hard surface objects. This was before 64bit version though, I haven't had any problems since then with 20-30mil polys.
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    jfitch wrote: »
    Are you still using dynamesh? I wouldn't use dynamesh at anything above a million polys...

If you have 28 mill but lots of sub divs and separate subtools, thats probably fine. If you can split some of the pieces to other subtools it will help. Depending on the character I may even split the model into separate zbrush files--ie: one for clothes, one for the main body, one for hard surface objects. This was before 64bit version though, I haven't had any problems since then with 20-30mil polys.

Yeah I read somewhere that Dynamesh is for low detail stuff, right?

To be honest, even though I've sorted my initial problem, I might just re-start so I don't do this screw-up again. Learning and all that. :P The 28 million but is all one subtool, and there's another subtool which I haven't sculpted yet.
  • jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    So...you could probably dynamesh at a lower level...drop the resolution so you're at something closer to 2-5 million polys. You might lose some detail but thats better than starting from scratch

I can't really think of a reason to have that high of a density on one object unless you're doing something like a dragon. At which point I would still have separate subtools for things like scales, claws, eyes, etc.
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    jfitch wrote: »
    So...you could probably dynamesh at a lower level...drop the resolution so you're at something closer to 2-5 million polys. You might lose some detail but thats better than starting from scratch

I can't really think of a reason to have that high of a density on one object unless you're doing something like a dragon. At which point I would still have separate subtools for things like scales, claws, eyes, etc.

Yeah you're right. I made a mistake but I'll remember it for next time :)