Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized Altar/Banner Stand

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Dethling polycounter lvl 11
Hi,

as I need a little break from learning PBR textures I decided to do a quick (max 2 weeks) hand painted asset.

The goal is to create an asset which matches the WoW Art Style and would fit into the Garrison.

The idea is to create a small banner stand/altar which alllows players to show the banner of faction they have the maximum reputation with (even old ones).

As an all time Paladin I went with the Argent Crusade Faction (Undead fighting Order of Paladins) first.

I did a few sketches and finished the blockout:
8bb2bbc0e22a45bfb8f02d087bd90d50-c9d0e386956742aebe23a81b9c54a1ed?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJHL3BQ6Q2IMC5CIA&Expires=1428561432&Signature=xzlAh9kJdUmvqLCb6YMAaGvFTRM%3Dargent_shrine_by_dethling-d8p0sqg.jpg

The flag will show the factions banner. The "block" in front of it is from the undead zitadelle Icecrown, one of the biggest battles of the Crusade and bearing a metal plate with some text (Something like "To the fallen heroes..")

I plan to make two props out of it, one for the base and the wooden frame and one for the banner and decor (like the torches). Why? because the base and wooden frame stay the same, no matter which faction the player choose to show, but banner and decor should change according to the faction.

For this I also go with two textures (base and banner/decor).
I already started witht the Base texture in 3DCoat/PS and got to a question here.

Is it better to straighten your UVs if you handpaint props (to minimize the "stairs-effect" if a edge isn't horizontal/vertical) or should you relax everything to get an even UV?

Example (left ist the "straight" UV, right the "relaxed")
uv_compare_by_dethling-d8p0sql.jpg
abd0bcc6576c4ed3a730b22cfaffaa55-56b2a73e359a4d9d9ab0255cad772d07?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJHL3BQ6Q2IMC5CIA&Expires=1428562043&Signature=px%2BQmsdZCIwmxJ1o%2BYNcng1%2Bufc%3D

(The big wholes are for the wooden stand^^)

Replies