MODO 901 Features Sneak Peak

StormyBA
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
StormyBA polycounter lvl 8
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkNNvemdXBI[/ame]

Nice overview of new 901 features.

Biggie! Mesh Fusion is included!

Great to see an update that feels a little more "game creation" focused too. Looking forward to getting my hands on this :)

Replies

• peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Hey some sexy stuff in there, just the other day (last night) i was working with Modo in the UV editor and thought to myself that it needed a tune up.

Nice to hear that they've worked on this. Way to go The Foundry.
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
  • Ramseus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramseus polycounter lvl 13
  • rls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rls polycounter lvl 3
    901 will be a really nice release. :)
  • pasha_sevez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pasha_sevez polycounter lvl 13
    To my mind circle align tool looks very-very clumsy. I can't believe they couldn't implement twist autocorrection - manual tweaking everytime is a very bad and unintuitive solution, imho. Other stuff looks very promising
  • Count Vertsalot
    To my mind circle align tool looks very-very clumsy. I can't believe they couldn't implement twist autocorrection - manual tweaking everytime is a very bad and unintuitive solution, imho. Other stuff looks very promising

It just looks clumsy because they happen to be showcasing the tool on a perfectly square topology. It does it the way it does it in order to avoid overlapping polygons. There will be instances where you'll have to manually rescale the circle as well. It would have to change the topology of a lot more than just the selected edges to do it the way you want it to. That's not always a good thing.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm interested in the enhanced edge loop selection ... they showed it not working and then working but there wasn't a clear "thing" they did to make it work. Hold SHIFT or something? I dunno...
  • pasha_sevez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I understand, but I meant why not to position vertices on circle without any twist. If user needs it so bad - ok then, tweak it)

autocorrected_circle_align.gif
  • Count Vertsalot
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I'm interested in the enhanced edge loop selection ... they showed it not working and then working but there wasn't a clear "thing" they did to make it work. Hold SHIFT or something? I dunno...

I think it was a triple click and the selection was based on edge angle at the pole.
  • Count Vertsalot
    I understand, but I meant why not to position vertices on circle without any twist. If user needs it so bad - ok then, tweak it)

autocorrected_circle_align.gif

That's cool and all, but the Modo way automatically gives you control of rotation and scale. I'd rather have more control even if I have to tweak it manually all the time.
  • pasha_sevez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's cool and all, but the Modo way automatically gives you control of rotation and scale. I'd rather have more control even if I have to tweak it manually all the time.

I don't mind the control )) That's great really. I wonder why the DEFAULT result of this operation is unusable. I mean you may rotate CCW / CW, but the default twist is optimal instantly.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it was a triple click and the selection was based on edge angle at the pole.

I hope not. Triple click sucks at the best of times, and would be terrible on a tablet. Unless it can be bound to something else...
  • Count Vertsalot
    I don't mind the control )) That's great really. I wonder why the DEFAULT result of this operation is unusable. I mean you may rotate CCW / CW, but the default twist is optimal instantly.

This features started out as a 3rd party script that was popular with Modo users. It did the same exact thing with the twist. Perhaps they never bothered to update it or maybe they kept it for the reason I stated earlier.
  • Count Vertsalot
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I hope not. Triple click sucks at the best of times, and would be terrible on a tablet. Unless it can be bound to something else...

I'm sure it's just a command fired and is logged in the Command History. You can usually bind keys to commands in the history.
  • Ylop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ylop polycounter lvl 4
    Finally - a 'knife' tool in modo to cut more than 1 polygon at once. Waiting for this for years.
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    There's a few moments in that video that an "Edge Weighting" tab is visible. I wonder what could be in it to deserve a full dedicated tab.
  • Count Vertsalot
    MDiamond wrote: »
    There's a few moments in that video that an "Edge Weighting" tab is visible. I wonder what could be in it to deserve a full dedicated tab.

It could just be a custom user created tab. Either way I hope they make it easier out of the box to apply edge weights. I never understood why they never made a dedicated button for it since SubD is what Modo is entirely based around. It's pretty powerful once you script a custom shortcut for the tools.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope they don't castrate the UI too much, it was fairly good looking before.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I have it on good authority that they have some much bigger/more impressive features than which was shown so far. They want to build up to the best stuff apparently rather than reveal their best hand on the first sneak.
  • spacefrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 15
    Dataday wrote: »
    I have it on good authority that they have some much bigger/more impressive features than which was shown so far. They want to build up to the best stuff apparently rather than reveal their best hand on the first sneak.

Maybe they wait for the big thing announcements to rain exactly on Autodesk's 2016 versions presentation parade at NAB on monday ? :)
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here's the thing.

After 901 hits, new licenses will cost a wopping $1800. I'd rather see them try to go down and keep competing with Lightwave and C4D, but it seems like the Foundry only see's Autodesk and its price points as the competition.

That said, if you grab 801 now, it only cost $1499 and that will give you 901 on launch in a few months. Because of this, if you get 801 with the CGRivers discount, you can get Modo 901 for $1200 using the discount code 20MODO.

So if you want to grab 901, with MeshFusion and all the goodies inbetween... this is the best time to get it and probably the lowest price point you wil be able to get it unless they do another christmas sale and thats not a gaurantee.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    They will do an xmas sale, they always do. So your looking at 40% off at xmas.

That's knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing imho. You cannot accept the foundry to add new developers for free, good people cost money and pushing new features through in a 12 to 14 month period costs money.

The price increase is there but it's acceptable imo and that's the way it is. If the biggest update ever (I am not pissing around, it will be the biggest) to modo costs me 100 euros more then so be it because at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

The best is yet to come, we just seen the tip of the iceberg :poly121:
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete wrote: »
    They will do an xmas sale, they always do. So your looking at 40% off at xmas.

That's knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing imho. You cannot accept the foundry to add new developers for free, good people cost money and pushing new features through in a 12 to 14 month period costs money.

The price increase is there but it's acceptable imo and that's the way it is. If the biggest update ever (I am not pissing around, it will be the biggest) to modo costs me 100 euros more then so be it because at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

The best is yet to come, we just seen the tip of the iceberg :poly121:

I think its safer to assume its an unknown. The foundry hasnt really been known to do sales like that, though Luxology has. With the Foundry up for sale, what if the new owners say "no sales"! Its just a lot to rely on blindly these days.

As for the price hike, that excuse can be used for anything at any time to be honest. Whats to stop it from going up to $3500? Where does it end? If a better product means more sales, then already even with the same price point more revenue is coming in. So I dont really see it as being anything more than convenient reasoning.

I personally think its easier for them to get more users by keeping the prices competetive, and they did that at $1500 when Lightwave was $1500. Its not really complaining at this point, just the usual concern at what kind of mindset or what kind of pattern will present itself over time. I already have a license so it wont affect me, but the broader direction can affect all users (such as adopting a sub only policy or forced maintinence).

I agree with you on the tip of the ice berg comment, might be wishful thinking though.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    I have it on good authority that they have some much bigger/more impressive features than which was shown so far.
    If a better product means more sales

you have already answered the question(s) for the price hike !
  • repete
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you have already answered the question(s) for the price hike !

I don't believe any questions were ever asked. Opinions given, thats all.

Accessibility (which includes price point) + features = appeal and sales. You could have a great product but if its not accessible then it wont matter how good it is, sales (quantity) will be loser. So often you can make far more revenue with quantity of sales vs fewer at a higher price. My opinion is that they can continue to get ahead if they keep their prices closer to the mid range apps and not trying to reach up to the autodesk suites (especially since Modo is still niche in its usage in the industry).

Theres a chance though part of the consideration includes an assumption that Indie will play a bigger role in the accessibility front, but if thats the case its going to need to get a lot more attention and probably not have a different update point.

2 cents.
  • evermotion
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could be worse ... could be Autodesk.
  • evermotion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    evermotion polycounter lvl 4
    But adobe is very slow at developing software.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes earlier this week, in a moment of day dreaming i imagined that Autodesk was going to acquire The Foundry, specially aiming for Modo.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    I don't see a problem with adobe taking over as long as they keep the foundry crew in place, they would be as thick as shit to fire them.

Adobe give us photoshop and if they give us modo updates like 901 I wont be complaining. :poly121:
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    evermotion wrote: »
    But adobe is very slow at developing software.

Well, unless they take over the MODO code themselves I don't see how that would affect anything. I assume they would keep the development team intact.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Plus, if they DO buy the Foundry and add MODO to the Creative Cloud subscription I'd do backflips. Work already pays for that so I could stop buying MODO upgrades every year. Hooray! :)
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still watchout for Autodesk ... ;)
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    peanut™ wrote: »
    Still watchout for Autodesk ... ;)

Peanut ! stop that :poly122:
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    freaky thought, but nevertheless :poly128:
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Count Vertsalot
    I just figured out that Repete is Petelly. Hi, this is Jason Miller.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    You should all switch to Houdini, problem solved.

Side Effects is a private company, just like guys from Zbrush, so they do care for their product and also have very good contact with their userbase. Each year brings ton of new stuff, they patch program on a daily basis, not once in couple months, and have really well balanced prices.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    I just figured out that Repete is Petelly. Hi, this is Jason Miller.

I thought people would notice the resemblance with the avatars 8)

anyway the foundations are shaking at the Foundry right now. I was hoping Boston Dynamics would take over the Foundry but that might have been one of my strange dreams :poly121:
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    mantragora wrote: »

Side Effects is a private company, just like guys from Zbrush, so they do care for their product and also have very good contact with their userbase. Each year brings ton of new stuff, they patch program on a daily basis, not once in couple months, and have really well balanced prices.

I am looking at this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaDu4OH2F78"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaDu4OH2F78[/ame]

But I don't know what it is:\

graph_memory.png
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 18

No offense but Houdini has the worstest modelling tools i ever tried out, does it even have proper poly modelling tools these days ?

Adobe getting The Foundry nightmare stuff, they would insantly tie shit to their crappy cloud no thx... just when the 801 demo convinced me that might be the tool i could get into the future...

In the end everything comes together with Blender huh ? -_-
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk wrote: »
    No offense but Houdini has the worstest modelling tools i ever tried out, does it even have proper poly modelling tools these days ?

Guys from Softimage came and they added new toys for animation (and still working on new ones). Their new motto is to bring Houdini to Softimage modeling level (at least).

BTW. What are the proper poly modeling tools? o_O
    Maya was a shit (still is) and people could live with it, soo?

Anyway, I prefer to support companies like Pixologic and Side Effects because I know they care. They also need money but they understand that they should work with userbase, not against them.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am looking at this...

I don't think that for Realtime guy it has any value.
  • Count Vertsalot
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 18
    Guys from Softimage came and they added new toys for animation (and still working on new ones). Their new motto is to bring Houdini to Softimage modeling level (at least).

When they are there, and have at least good symmetry tools like modo give me a ring im all ear then. And Maya always had old ass poly modelling tools, but the basics worked if you wherent to picky, when i tried Houdini it gave me even bigger headache then Blender or Lightwave.

When i had to learn C4D i picked it up in a single weekend without any tutorials, even modo with its very weird worklflow gave it self away in a few days.
  • Count Vertsalot
    I think Houdini is the future for sure, it already makes a ton of sense for level design stuff, but I'm not touching it for awhile for character assets. I'll stick with Modo until it's ruined.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they patch program on a daily basis
    Is ... that a positive thing?