Home General Discussion

how much better is a cintiq/intuos than a bamboo

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
I am really wondering if it's worth buying a more recent intuos. currently I am using a bamboo, even for professional work and I am pleased with it on the whole.
I wondered if there is a really glaring difference between say a bamboo or a later model intuos or cintiq.
I actually don't use my intuos 2 any more as I am convinced the pressure sensitivity is not working properly and I could never get it working quite as I like.
Hell, I still have an old graphire which works fine too, but i can't get the proper nibs now.
So for example I sculpt a lot of cloth, so how much diff would it make , or is it neglible?

I did have a quick go on a cintiq once when working at a vfx company and it seemed quite nice in photoshop, but never tried it in zbrush

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There's a minor improvement in feel, the hotkeys are the main improvements. I'd like to say the Intuos feels like they would last longer, but the USB port on my Intuos4 broke off.
  • Clos3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clos3d polycounter lvl 17
    It depends who you use it.

I like to map both my monitor on the whole wacom, I loose half of it in photoshop, but I don't use mouse anymore, the bamboo is just too small for that.

A Cintiq is just awesome, unlike the price.... PROS of Cintiq = Is a cintiq, is ''real''.

Cons: Is hard to find the good spot for sitting correclty and getting the desk organise...Where will you place your keyboard and get used to it.... and if you dock windows out of your cintiq, you have to reach it with your mouse...

MY best choice, FOR ME, is an intuos, only because I rarely use the mouse.

EDIT: I have intuos at work, Cintiq at home & a Bamboo. And I ended up bringing my intuos from work at home a couple of times.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I personally used an Intuos 4 and after having subsequent bamboos for years and have never looked back.

I have a large, second hand Intuos 4 on my desk right now, works like a charm. If I could get a medium Intuos Pro right now, I would. They just feel smoother to me than Bamboos, and the ability to tilt is important to me as a 2D artist. For just navigating and 3D I can't admit that I have much of a preference, though. Never used a cintiq so I can't give any opinion on that.

Do remember that the new "Intuos" models are actually basically the bamboo. What used to be the Intuos is now the "Intuos Pro" because marketing I guess.

I'd say the main pros are still just
    A) Ability to tilt
    B) Higher Pressure sensitivity

and maybe free alternate nibs if you like that kind of thing. I don't think there are any "game changers", though I do like the extra buttons on the Intuos Pro/4 models and there's a bunch of base level differences that don't make much of a difference to the experience, really.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    My personal assumption is that in terms of anything that would make your life easier, ie nice looking strokes or smoother finish, then there is not a lot of difference.

I actually prefer a really small tablet for some reason anyway.
    my workflow will revolve around makes a stroke then smooothing it out, kind of like oil painting.
    I always secretly wished for a workflow more akin to real world airbrushing where you could get super smooth gradients.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    well from a cintique to airbrush, is still a long way. if you prefer or got used to the smaller tablet anyways, then i dont see why you should change a running system. in the end its still just a tool, and the bamboo is perfectly fine if you like it.

that being said i have always used Intuos 4s and have only a little experience with the bamboo, also never tried a cintique.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well don't get me wrong though if I was offered a cintiq or found one by the side of the road , I would be all over it like a fat guy on a cheeseburger:)

I wss just scared in case I was missing out on something better really

The only really annoying thing is the usb cable on my bamboo is always falling out.
  • Count Vertsalot
    Moving up from a Bamboo to a Intuos is like moving up from a Toyota to a Lexus. Moving up to a Cintiq is like finding a flying unicorn in your backyard. There's a reason Wacom can get away with charging that much.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    There's no practical reason why anyone should go from a Pen and Touch to an Intuos Pro unless they need a large size tablet or need more buttons.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Based on the wear pattern on my Intuos 4 at work I only REALLY use about a Bamboo sized section of my tablet. Then again thats because I am always working in the center of my screen.

Love my Intuos 4 though :)
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Maybe this will help you. I have the same bamboo for 5 years. Shit is great yo !

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75014
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    intuos 5 > intuos 4 for wear & tear in my experience. also fingerprints are a lot less visible on the matte finish. USB port placement still an absolute travesty though. why can it not be located where the cable port on previous models was found? like ... out of the way!

buttons are kind of hard to feel on the 5 and plenty stiff in my opinion. all disabled here.

i don't think an intuos enables better strokes whatsoever through some secret sauce, i find software is the main divider here. some apps just don't feel good for painting or lack the brush performance. seems like almost anything out there feels more natural than photoshop.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I have been using my medium intuos 4 since early 2010, nearly every single working day for a better part of the working hours of those days. I have absolutely beat my tablet to hell and back (accidentally dropping it, stepped on it a couple times while in a bag, etc), used it as a hot pad while eating at my desk for all nighters (woops), traveled with me to multiple countries while I worked from my laptop in airports... needless to say, its probably the most reliable piece of computer hardware I have ever bought. Still using the stock pen, stock cable, stock work surface (tho that should be replaced soon just out of courtesy to the device). I am actually using it as an arm rest as I type this right now. Only hiccup I have ever had was user or driver error. Bought it for 350 new at the time, have only had to buy one 5 pack of spring nibs since purchasing tablet with a couple left still.

Needless to say, I cannot recommend it enough for someone looking into buying a tablet. Can get them used for cheap off of ebay that are in near new condition. The 5 series also look promising, have only heard good things. Paying the premium for the Wacom brand should be a no brain-er for anyone in the industry.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I've been bouncing between an Intuos and a Bamboo for a while. While the extra features on the Intuos pen are nice (rotation, tilt) and make drawing a little more pleasurable, it doesn't make any difference when you're focused on getting shit done.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    USB cord on my Intuos 3 just broke as well. But mine is almost 6 years old, it had served its time.

My new tablet is an Intuos Pen (Bamboo). Apart from having to place my palm on desk, every works really well. Minus the tilting which I don't really need.

There's no Bamboo anymore by the way. Bamboo is now Intuos. Intuos is now Intuos Pro.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hey ruz

imo if you're going the walk down the cintiq road you should get the/a big one so you can simply replace your main screen. What really makes the difference is that you can draw more stable as you can see where your hand is heading to. On the other hand you always have the pen tip in your vision.

With a bit of luck I have currently a intuos2, intuos4, cintiq 13 and cintiq 22 here and I tend to work on the cintiq22 and one intuos simultaneously - switching depending on what I do. I'm quite sure this is a personal habit but for some tasks I don't want the pen tip in my face. I tend to do more and more on the cintiq22 though as it's simply a bit more natural.

cheers :)
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    For me the difference between drawing on a screen and drawing on a tablet is accuracy and sketching.

for me it's much harder to just naturally sketch on a tablet cause i rarely do the lines i want on the first try. But on my phone or a tablet it's easy to just brain storm. Painting on the other hand isn't a problem either way.

I was thinking of getting one of the yiynova tablets since I've seen tons of favorable reviews from artists.

As for durability i'm down to one USB port on my intuos 4, i'm a little worried the last one might be going out. This is a strange problem to have.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah rollin,iadagraca - I don't really do any sketching - my wacom use is mainly confined to zbrush, so maybe the cintiq would n't really help me.
    My main interest lies in whether the more advanced wacom improves zbrush sculpting or not. I guess not by the repsonses so far.
    TBH , when I was working at nexus a few years back I used an intuos 4 and found the pressure sensitivity alsmost impossible to work with. I think it must have been a driver issue, though the tablet itself looked nice.

again I am not really unhappy with my bamboo, but you always get the urge to try something better at some point.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I get those plastic sheets you can stick down on your intuos that eliminate all wear and tear. Looks a little goofy but, hey, I'm not chewing through nibs and tablets. :)
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    I start to use the cintiq more and more for sculpting too - for the same reasons. But I haven't had that much time with it to really make a point though.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hmm, Warren, could you toss out a link to the one you use?

And ya, I'm on a Intous Pro Large with a 27" 1440P screen. Perfect for modeling/sculpting/texturing. I rarely use my mouse now.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure ...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041FB176/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: POSRUS Wacom Intuos 4 Medium PTK-640 Pen Tablet Surface Cover: Computers & Accessories[/ame]
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I went from Intuos 3 to Bamboo (larger one) not so long ago . Haven't felt any difference at all except the pen tip felt a bit too scratchy. Needed to replace it with Intouos one.

After that I would say I prefer Bamboo actually. It resembles somehow my favorite Intuos 1 (original) which didn't have those damn useless buttons, had a pen looked like a pencil or real pen, not a thick heavy log in your hand and allowed to keep keyboard closer , just right next to drawing surface.

As of Cintiq I don't see a reason to buy it. It lacks an advantage tablets have over old fashioned canvas or paper style of drawing.

I mean when you draw/paint for real your view is obstructed by your own hand and tools + maulstick and palette in your left hand. And I have never felt a lack of precision with Intuos or Bamboo.

ps. One thing I miss with Bamboo is tilt . Although the only things I used it for were a few brushes in Painter. But since I abandoned Painter years ago already and don't even know if the tilt is working for Zbrush , doubt it actually, Bamboo seems ok.
  • prototyp3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    prototyp3 polycounter lvl 17
    I agree with gnoop about the hand/arm blocking a significant portion of your model. It can be a little tiresome pulling back to see the whole picture. Another concern is the funky yoga sometimes needed to reach your keyboard with a 20+ inch Cintiq in the way.

I actually don't like any of the express key setups they've done lately. So much so that my ancient 1st gen 21UX has outlasted it's proposed replacements. (a 22HD and then 24HD) The 22HD lack of pixel height didn't help it's case, and the 24HD was just too physically big and wide bezel made reaching the keys uncomfortable. The original 21UX has a really nice express key layout that allows you to plant your thumb on it and use 4 buttons in combination. (critical for selections and masking in my opinion) I haven't tried the rocker of the 13HD, but that looks like it could provide the same sort of experience. That might be something to try if you're more comfortable working on a smaller surface areas. I've seen those sell at pretty reasonable prices with people wanting to jump to the Companions.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    actually, i like my small bamboo better than the intuos5 small, except the buttons on the side on the intuos (and the pen is alot nicer)
    but the bamboo was more handy and didnt need that much space

apart from that i didnt really feel any significant difference while drawing. sure.. you have tilt, but i didnt use it once until now.

cintiq is a different matter though.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ZacD wrote: »
    There's a minor improvement in feel, the hotkeys are the main improvements. I'd like to say the Intuos feels like they would last longer, but the USB port on my Intuos4 broke off.

The intuos 5s USB port is recessed in pretty deep so it should not wear out like the 4 and 3