Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Da Dawg Bowl - New Generator Library Release for Substance Designer

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ActionDawg greentooth
This is an old art thread which is probably still linked to from some other sources, so if you've landed here please check out some of my newer tools :)

New! Pixel8r v1.5
https://gum.co/pixel8r

New! 
Advanced Normal to Roughness Node
https://gum.co/n2r

Dog Library Generators - Substance Designer

https://gum.co/DogLibrary

3D Wood Generator - Substance Designer
https://gumroad.com/l/3dwood

If you find these valuable, please consider purchasing in order to help support my efforts towards providing more things like this.

Thank you for looking! All feedback is welcome!

Replies

• ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Quickie update before I head home :D This is for a material library for work:
    6LhrFdf.jpg

I'll post some more tomorrow (I've got 10 others ones from the library to upload), and perhaps some of the continuing work I've done on the textures in my first post. Destroy my butt w/ crits pls!
  • Jet_Pilot
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    For your marble I would suggest trying to rotate a few of the tiles to mix up the directionality of the veins. I can see you offset them but I think turning some would give better results.
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Jet_Pilot wrote: »
    For your marble I would suggest trying to rotate a few of the tiles to mix up the directionality of the veins. I can see you offset them but I think turning some would give better results.
    I appreciate your feedback! You're very on point. I used a directional warp and some transforms to vary the veins:
    TcxBFlHjpg
    Edited to fix an obvious repetition. Note that this is tiling 2x.

Here's some more things I've been working on. The first are rendered in SD.
    Rocky dirt:

Old hammered copper:

The following are rendered in Unity with my custom shader:
    Candle wax! The subsurface shader variant has parameters for internal color, pulling the transmission color from the albedo, and can take a thickness map or simply just using a float. It was a darker earlier which looked better imo but I couldn't be arsed to change it.

Painted walls:

Concrete:

The quality is varying on these mainly due to a lot of experimenting and improvement along the way, as well as all this being on a quick turnaround. I'll continually improve them! As always, criticism is very welcome. Tell me I suck!
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    I've gotten some really valuable critique from one of my good friends on a lot of the work above, so hopefully I'll have time to tweak before they're considered final!

In the meantime I've done a couple other textures. I'm pretty satisfied with this one but couldn't get the color to my liking. This is my third go at making bark. This pic is also my first time using Toolbag!
    Yv7MzTB.jpg
    And here's a generic rust. I tried to take forms and colors from various reference and incorporate the most visually interesting aspects :)
    6tnhIFI.jpg
    C&C is welcome as always!

Edit:
    I was dissatisfied with the gaps between the bark. It looked good at a distance and was somewhat like some types of bark out there, but I didn't feel like it was as cool. I also brought the color I used to have back in, which wasn't posted before.
    ScoLmI.png

Finally there were some peeps discussing marble in the Substance section, and while I'm by no means even close to making a great marble I thought my approach could benefit some because allows you to simply and continuously add complexity. Linkage: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2288796&postcount=1635
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    I've been doing a lot of lurking, and a few months ago there was talk in the Substance Designer thread about making cobblestone in a fan pattern. To my knowledge nobody has replicated the pattern properly, so today I took a quick stab at it!

Tiling 2x. This is just a quick proof of concept for the method I came up with. The goal was to create a mask with even spacing so it can be controlled very finely, which I found was much easier than expected. I added some quick cracks and chipping to make it less boring for presentation, but that will get thrown out. Hope you all like it!

As a bonus here's the mask that was generated:
    WSgAhrpng
    And another bonus, a SD screenie showing how easy it is to modify! The latter image is a two minute slider adjustment job, nothing more. I'm very pleased with the ease of use and how this experiment came out overall!

• ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Quickie wood post. Hope you all like!

• mattyinthesun
    Offline / Send Message
    mattyinthesun polycounter lvl 4
    Would love to hear more about how you accomplished the cobblestone. FXMap?
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    I revised the original concrete substance I posted in the OP. Next up is redoing the paint substance and making it follow the normals/height of the underlying concrete.

This was posted in the Substance thread but I figured it's a good update to go along with the above:

Would love to hear more about how you accomplished the cobblestone. FXMap?
    There's some great discussion about the technique in the Substance Designer thread on this page and the next:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2291158#post2291158
    Everyone is using the splatter circular node to place a shape around and then combining the results of doing that repeatedly together. My original continually applied the fan mask shape but I realized afterwards it only needed to be applied at the last step, so my graph became a bit simpler than the one I posted.
    My result is different because I use a blurry shape to create stones that fit the areas rather than bricks, which I like because you don't have the result of bricks looking like they're cut off prematurely.
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Finally updating my thread again!

I started on my own take on the Defiant from Deep Space 9. My goal is to merge some of the more modern sci-fi style elements from the new films, while keeping it true to the spirit of the original. Right now I'm just experimenting and blocking things out while I do as much research into Star Trek design philosophy as possible. :D

The end result will be designed to make sure it accommodates a properly measured 8 deck layout that I'll design. Happily, I somehow nailed the initial measurements by eye. The hull so far is measured to fit the decks (and jefferies tubes) and sits at 170m long, making it a good deal larger overall than the original Defiant. Ignore the random greeble textures, I don't like looking at grey.

Here's my current progress, experimented with rendering in Corona which I already love:

I thought I'd show a bit of my previous progress renders over the days. As you can see I ditched the saucer top in favor of something more like the original, but am thinking of ways to merge the two forms in a more unique way.

I'll be continuing this slowly until the end of time~ Any feedback or ideas for exploring new directions is extremely welcome, especially from any fans out there!
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    I must say those Substances are looking wonderful. I've still yet to play around with SD, I'll be getting back onto realistic environments after I've finished my hand painted one so I would love to know how you got around starting some of these materials... Like do you pre-gen maps with nDo first or do you use all the baking tools provided in SD and just build from there?

Great job so far :)
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Thank you for the compliments!

I've only used Substance for these. It's very fun once you get into the workflow of it! The methodology lies in analyzing and breaking down a surface's structure, then combining different procedural patterns that approximate the components of a material, layering in complexity as you go. Observation is really key, something which I'm still learning a lot :)

Here's an example of a complete graph, this one for those wood planks
    4TKWPZ.png
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Small update, I was experimenting with ways of generating random slopes in Substance and doodled a fanned cobble path. Tiling 2x here and the height is exaggerated to show it off. Pretty happy with how it came out for a quick test run! If I have the time I might spend a bit making it a workable piece.

• ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Once this is done, I'm releasing the Cobble substance and textures for free! Today's progress:

Just to not seem like a dangus, the unrealistic cracking was intentionally there in yesterday's post just to show my experiments on branching crack patterns. As always, tell me what I can do better!
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Hey hey hey! I've finished this cobble off and it's time to share! Here's a few screenies :D

Edit: Updated Substance, textures, and showcase images to reflect fixing minor fuck ups on my part.

One thing I'm particularly happy about is getting random values for shapes in a black and white mask. It's definitely not perfect and I'd love to find a better method, but tweaking around with a couple of the nodes gets really great results!
    x6SRgfpng

Now here's the Substance file for whatever your pleasure is~ I hope it's valuable to some!
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4vo_o3utgw6ektEdlpLMGpVa1E/view?usp=sharing

A zip of the textures can be found here here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4vo_o3utgw6MERrUzBDNWt6TTA/view?usp=sharing

Feel free to do what you want with these. Attribution is not necessary but much appreciated. Link back to me if you like my work! Thanks for viewing and all feedback is welcome!
  • WindchILL
    Offline / Send Message
    WindchILL polycounter lvl 4
    somedoggy wrote: »
    Thank you for the compliments!

I've only used Substance for these. It's very fun once you get into the workflow of it! The methodology lies in analyzing and breaking down a surface's structure, then combining different procedural patterns that approximate the components of a material, layering in complexity as you go. Observation is really key, something which I'm still learning a lot :)

Here's an example of a complete graph, this one for those wood planks
    4TKWPZ.png

I'm a complete noob still learning the substance package and its workflow. when you created the wood substance, did you start with the initial 4 nodes (albedo, normal, roughness, metal) and work backwards, or did you start with the far left nodes and progress from there?
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    WindchILL wrote: »
    I'm a complete noob still learning the substance package and its workflow. when you created the wood substance, did you start with the initial 4 nodes (albedo, normal, roughness, metal) and work backwards, or did you start with the far left nodes and progress from there?
    It may sound counter-intuitive, but I don't really worry about the various maps at first. My initial goal is to create the base patterns and be map agnostic, not committing to anything prematurely. In the case of wood that would be the planks, for the cobble it was how the stones are broken up.

From there I start to create finer and finer levels of whatever the materials structure is. I do that in sets of masks that I start to blend together in different ways for each texture. I'll make a simple base pass for everything, sometimes just filling some texture slots with solid values/colors to get a feel for the overall material.

Then I focus on building a good heightmap so I can distinguish what lies where, and convert it to a normal map later down the line. The heightmap usually has a big influence on some of the other textures so it's the first thing to nail for me. All the while I'm still working in passes to add in the various effects I want. If you check out my cobble Substance, I did it exactly in a left to right order. Each time I add a new pass in (each pass is marked in the file and the Albedo is probably the most clear to understand initially) I hook up new versions of each map, then tweak or redo things until I'm happy with not only the result, but how I achieved the result.

The most important thing to me is making each approach to a pass work as understandably and predictably as I'm able. I hope this helps! And good luck :)
    Small update too, I'm working on a beat up metal for something!

• beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Just came across this stuff, the cobblestone is great. Subbd
  • arvinmoses
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    Stuff looks great man! Good job!
  • supersnakelx
    Offline / Send Message
    supersnakelx polycounter lvl 7
    Quickie wood post. Hope you all like!
    nNVd8z.png

Don't care how this sounds but I'm loving the wood bro!
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Thanks guys :)

I was gonna post this when the west coast polycounters were getting settled at home for the evening, but couldn't resist!

I overhauled the wood a great deal and am releasing it for free. It's much more efficient, and despite the pattern taking some doing it totally paid off! There's some ideas in my head for how to make knots in wood, but I didn't bother with that this go around since it's not the most important visual detail to worry about.
    z0BJgr.png
    GDiCFy.png
    7DMPOk.png

Grab the Substance file!
    Grab the texture maps!
    Attribution is appreciated if anyone uses these :D

Edit: Here's a two minute edit showing how it's very easy to modify. This is a blend between a worn and clean version. The graph was unchanged, I only modified things like opacity values on masks.
    FpMxF7.png

Now to get back to the Defiant!
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Whoops lied about getting on the Defiant. I just had to do a v2 on the wood Substance! I've put both my worn and clean versions in the file this time. Just wish I could author at 4k without killing performance.

~Download both sets of textures and Substances~

• ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Quick update, I'm getting back to the Defiant. I've done a lot of research and referencing, deciding to push even more in my own direction (including considering changes in its purpose, the original was solely a warship). Hopefully I'm succeeding in making it more like the rest of Federation ship designs. There's not a whole lot different from post 1 but I'm getting back to it!

I've also started on a shingles substance

• TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    hey man, just picked up substance designer on the summer sale, been figuring things out, thanks a bunch for releasing your substances. Nothing better than deconstructing someone elses stuff to figure out a new program. Great work btw!
  • Kashaar
    Offline / Send Message
    Kashaar polycount sponsor
    Daaamn, these are some inspiring materials! Great work, subbed :)
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Unfortunately I haven't had the time to do much other than work recently, so here's a tease of what I've got going on with that :D I'll be getting back into the swing of making personal stuff as I start working towards building a portfolio.

This is a Pre-Integrated Skin shader I created, running in Unity 4. Models aren't mine, they're just for testing purposes :) Below is a comparison with my default PBR shader.
    LKXgza.png
    There's 2 shader variants: one computing curvature in the shader, and one utilizing a curvature map that gets combined with the mesh curvature. It also can use an optional transmission map. There are controls for blurring the normal map just for the transmission (making things appear bumpier or waxier) as well as a curvature multiplier to control falloff. Also, I darkened the skin color of the middle ones in order to evaluate different skin complexions.

Credits for the models go to:
    Zombie - 3D Molier Studio, Tatiana Seguin - EISKO, Male - Ten24
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth

Working on some bricks
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Testing Marvelous Designer. The patterns I made totally suck but it's so fun to work with!

• Stu2Prof
    Offline / Send Message
    Stu2Prof polycounter lvl 6
    Wow these are amazing. How long have you been working with substance designer?
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Thank you :) about 3 months I believe
  • Whalebones
    Offline / Send Message
    Whalebones polycounter lvl 11
    Was thinking about getting into Marvelous Designer, how is it to pick up and play?
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Whalebones wrote: »
    Was thinking about getting into Marvelous Designer, how is it to pick up and play?
    I made that over a couple hours yesterday, which was my first time using the software. Redoing it all from scratch would take like 20 minutes now that I understand what to do. It's so easy to grasp the basics that I believe even someone who has never worked with 3d or computers in a serious sense could pick it up quickly. I was very surprised and pleased by that!
  • Whalebones
    Offline / Send Message
    Whalebones polycounter lvl 11
    I made that over a couple hours yesterday, which was my first time using the software. Redoing it all from scratch would take like 20 minutes now that I understand what to do. It's so easy to grasp the basics that I believe even someone who has never worked with 3d or computers in a serious sense could pick it up quickly. I was very surprised and pleased by that!

You, my friend have just made a sale haha
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Quick shitty render, unfortunately I have little time.

This is my second test with MD. The polygon shapes are caused by the character the garment was simulated on not being very high res. For a while I had a lot of problems getting the waistband to stick (via sewing) without causing clipping in the sim, so I didn't bother reseating the pants after I solved that problem. Just imagine Theodore Twombly owns these jeans instead :P

And in case you were wondering, yes. Those are real ass pockets
    C9Hb0Dpng

This was a fun experiment and I want to branch out into non-clothing stuff soon!
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
  • MattyWS
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    Your wood grain is the most believable thing I've seen from Substance, how did you achieve it?
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    MattyWS wrote: »
    Your wood grain is the most believable thing I've seen from Substance, how did you achieve it?
    Thank you! I used a gradient dynamic node to distribute a linear gradient over a blurry image. The look comes from the blur having some directionality to it, so some good ways to do that would be to use aniso or non uniform blur on the input. I think I started with an aniso noise node and uniformly blurred it though. Then I broke it up with a directional warp. Please feel free to check out the substance file itself! It should be in one of the posts on page 1.

Today I did a warmup of a nylon military strap in MD but I don't have a render of that. Instead I'll show what that warmup helped me do afterwards :)
    uKUdNm.png
    Quick and simple render. All that was done outside of MD was add the buttons, pole, and links. The pole and links also contributed to the sim. If only it were possible to simulate rigid bodies as well I'd do it all in one go! I do love the fact that the topology inherently contains the stitch lines, so adding stitching in a 3d app would be as simple as converting them to splines and displacing a stitch mesh. I'll probably toy with another piece and take it to a full finish this weekend to do just that!
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth

WIP Snowy Rocks, for a game.

It'll have adjustable parameters for rock size, snow amount, etc once I create the functions
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    This is really awesome :) keep going!
  • roboy
    Offline / Send Message
    roboy polycounter lvl 11
    That looks incredible somedoggy - keep up the work! would love to see how you did those rocks :D
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Thanks for the compliments guys :)
    roboy wrote: »
    That looks incredible somedoggy - keep up the work! would love to see how you did those rocks :D
    It's very simple at the moment. The albedo and roughness are flat values and this is how the height and normals are constructed.
    pyZAth.png
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth

Hi all! I've been working on a series of articles to help people better understand how rendering works. I've always wanted to provide people with the knowledge to make the best art they can, and have seen firsthand just how hard the learning process can be. Check out the first article from the link below:
    https://goo.gl/dmIboR

Please if you have an feedback or suggestions for topics to explore, leave a comment or contact me through PM or the email provided in the article!
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Interesting article, as a technical artist, I've never had to be particularly familiar with the "rendering formula" and I do a lot of graphics work in my job. I think if you are wanting to encourage artists to learn about the rendering pipeline, this is a confusing approach. What I would like to see (and expect artists to be able to understand comfortably) is a more visual breakdown of the rendering pipeline using terms that none-technical based people can understand. I think your article, as in depth and accurate as it is, could be broken down into the concept of NdotL lighting and a couple of the more intricate lighting functions, without the calculus.
    I'm sorry if this is a somewhat harsh critique of your article, I just wanted to give you an honest opinion of it, from somebody who has to communicate with artists about technical subjects all the time. As soon as I mention anything slightly mathematical people tend to fall asleep! I look forward to reading your future articles and hope you can take some of my points on board. I'd love to see an artist-friendly breakdown of rasterisation to show to people!
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Thanks for the feedback GILESRUSCOE! I've been very excited about writing and starting to see people respond has been a great experience. I really hope to start a conversation with these articles! To keep track of this I'm making notes on all feedback.

Your critique is perfect :) As I go I'll be invested in updating previous articles as well. There's also a ton of room for more. That said, I think my current plan addresses what you bring up pretty well. From just the first piece I fully expected my approach to seem pretty strange! I'm going to utilize more visual examples in later articles as I move from theory to practice. For future readers I'll include descriptions of the articles, their flow, and maybe create a webpage to support everything and expand further. This can go as far as people want me to! For now I'll just explain my outline:

The first article presents the reader with the bare-bones rendering equation to describe a framework that the rest of the articles will be based upon. Next I'm going to be writing about physical values with the core subjects being gamma and tone-mapping. After that I plan to get into basic rendering implementations, then actually get into modern PBR setups.
    I know that the math tends to turn heads, but I don't want to shy away from any of it because in its absence I've seen artists go very awry. The actual amount I get into is heavily going to depend on the subject at hand. But rest assured I will provide a solid, approachable foundation for understanding exactly what you're doing when you make any texture and then what happens behind the scenes. It's a very difficult balancing act, one that I'm relying on the community to help me solve through continuous feedback. In this thread and in my articles I will make as many explanations as needed to help anyone understand a concept they're having a hard time with. Honestly though, while my primary target audience is nontechnical artists it's ultimately up to them to want to learn something that is likely going to be a bit hard. This work is a process of me collecting all the correct information in one place and making their learning as easy as possible. I want different types of people to gain from this depending on just how far they want to go, so with that goal in mind I've got to cover all the bases.

To answer your specifics: Starting from that framework I'll be talking about just how you take the theory and turn it into both a path tracer and a rasteriser while drawing comparisons between the two all along the way. Articles 1 and 2 are prerequisites for that process since I need to teach people about light and energy conservation.
    Article 3 will include a historical account of major rendering milestones, so you can expect things like NdotL and various lighting functions to be covered here without calculus.
    I am imagining these first works will become more enlightening retrospectively, so I hope people can be patient with my line of thought. Who knows though, I may do a total rewrite after this point! Something I also want to cover is how various engines put everything into practice and the strengths/shortcomings of various techniques. Would people be interested in this as its own article down the line?

Anyways I hope this gave some insight into my thought process. Please don't let all this discourage anyone from telling me my approach is flawed though! If I can form better ways for structuring these articles then I will gladly do the work :) I do this all for those of you out there who want to get better and branch out.
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Your thought process does indeed make more sense now that you lay it out like that. Essentially, the first write up was a broad overview of the technicalities that need to be worked out in rendering, and the forthcoming articles will break this down into smaller chunks? That sounds good, but also stands a chance of killing off the audience before they even get to the 2nd article, haha!! I think the idea of discussing a path tracer and rasteriser side by side is really good, as it will show two techniques for achieving similar results (a lit 3D rendered scene). The effort put into your response, openness to critique and quality of article shows your serious about this, so I hope to read some quality stuff from you in the future!
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth

First off, a teaser for my second article
    :wink:
    Currently finalizing the first (and hardest) of part of it. It's split into discussing the concepts behind capturing light values then processing with white balance, gamma, and tonemapping to produce a final image!

In the meantime have a few oldies showing off my custom Unity shader. IIRC the high poly models for the three phones are to an accuracy of about 1.5mm besides having to fudge some lens elements and the tiny holes over the speakers! Those features are all there though. Even the fresnel light on the iPhones was modeled.

• ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Still working on article 2. Waiting on some feedback for it atm.

I'm nervous to post this here because I suck at drawing, but I'm designing an "Overseer's PipBoy" with a wrist mounted addon. It is heavily inspired from concept art from Fallout 3! For those of you who have seen those you'll surely recognize the telephone style cord. Any criticism or feedback I can get is much appreciated, I'll be taking this lil thing from concept to finished!

Nothing is final right now other than wanting to keep the main design elements:  There's a 16:9 screen on the PipBoy itself, not really seen in the lore afaik but it looks cool. For the addon it's got a broadcast mic and dial, 14 character keypad + shift + space, extra holotape slot, and the cord will be using the same connector type as the one featured on the back of the Fallout 4 PipBoy.

Thanks all <3

Oh yeah and I just put shit over the pipboy because I haven't really worked on it. I've been spending days just working on the design of the addon first.
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    More. Could change completely but the design's been growing on me. This was just a test to make a 3d blockout. I need to redo the mic completely for one thing! It doesn't read at all. I'll be going back to the PipBoy once I'm satisfied with my work here.

^ A bit old, it's not so fat now.

Been pulling assets from Fallout 4 to help with scale. I've also got the PipBoy Edition which is handy. This goes in hand with the materials, which I've begun on as well. Got a lot of nice closeups photos of various surface types the other day.

This gives me a 60s-90s cgi reel vibe for some reason haha
  • The Rizzler
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    I like it, you captured the curvy and chunky aspect of the fallout aesthetic nicely. The base of the addon looks off to me right now - being completely flat doesn't look like it would be comfortable when laid on top of the back of the hand, in comparison to the curved pipboy. I'm assuming you'll add a glove with padding or something to rectify this though?
    The scale appears larger than shown in your concept as well, it seems to overlap the hand in the blockout, while being much more compact in the drawing, but I guess with the size of the buttons you'd need it to be that scale in order to use comfortably. The concept reminded me of blackberry keyboards, but the dials look about the right size. Looking forward to see what you do with the pipboy itself
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Hey Rizzler,

Thanks for the feedback man! My first big goal was nailing the 50s-60s styled ergonomics of Fallout 4's assets. I don't have a design in mind for the actual base, but have considered that it should be more form fitting eventually (most likely I'll design around a ref of a splayed hand to not restrict movement much). I'll be attaching it to a glove so I have spent time on solving how it would attach/detach from the glove.

I agree with the scaling issue. Seems pretty weighty at the moment. The addon got scaled up in 3D in proportion to the hand once I ripped the Holotape model from the game and fit it to that. I'll probably also take measurements from keyboard keys soon and make some design tradeoffs to slim everything back down.

Here's some of the references I've gathered, I can upload my highest res versions if anyone wants them!

Oh yeah and I got this lil guy which of course you can see I immediately broke the damn top button on.

• ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth

Taking my mind off the PipBoy for a while to work on a simple comfy scene.