Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Reginald the ship mechanic

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
jfitch polycounter lvl 5
Hey all!
I'm working on a piece for class that includes the design, model, textures, rig, and animation.

The idea for the piece is a ship mechanic, who would have to fix up ships and do some of the dirty work the occasional smuggler doesn't want to do. His name is Reginald, though sometimes folks call him Reg. He has a kind heart and a sharp mind, but he knows how to use his strength if he needs to. Occasionally he has to work on a ship in space, but most of the time they're docked in a hangar bay. He likes to keep a flight suit on anyway in case of accidents. He's an older gent and he's experienced with alien races, and every kind of ship you could imagine. His best friend is his all-in-one wrench tool that contains a welder, a wrench, a screwdriver, and several other tools he might need.

Here's the initial concept sculpt:
eQbNSNf.png

I wasn't happy with the santa claus look, so I did a quick paint over. Wanted him to look younger, took the glasses out, thought about adding a hat, and made some of the muscles a bit more planar. I also like the tiny ears :)
gFCEMEX.png

I did a little more exploring, painting over the model further. I'm thinking about giving him long sleeves and an optional helmet so he can be out in space if needed, but I'm not sure. Also on the fence about the hat.
z1oPSbf.png

I have some more work on the 3d model that I'll post when I get home later!
Crits and suggestions welcome :)

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I don't feel his body proportions right now. Look at Heavy from Team Fortress 2, now that's a big stylized guy. I specifically don't like how small biceps look compared to the rest of the arm.

heavy_front.jpg
  • jfitch
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    I see what you're getting at!I think the heavy still has small biceps but they're wider, is that what you mean? I'll widen them up and see how it looks!

As far as the overall proportions maybe a lengthening of the torso or the legs would help?

I was going for a similar look to Death from Darksiders 2 for the arm proportions: http://www.omnomworkshop.com/Portfolio_Death.html
  • ethwaites
    I think what SuperFranky was trying to get at is the portion in blue is too small in comparison to the red ones. It looks like the bicep muscle would be too small to support such a massive forearm.Hope I'm right. :P Love the concept though. Subscribing.

zqKjqTS.png
  • jfitch
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Ohh, okay I see what you're saying. I'll see what I can do about that, thanks for the help guys!
  • jfitch
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    A little progress on the model, started with new pieces made in maya and going to start doing work on the cloth/hair and details in zbrush. I wanted some of the hard surface pieces to be a little more soft and rounded.

I tried fixing up the proportions on that arm a little bit, and in some other places. I've got to get the high res and low res done for this bad boy by Tuesday, hopefully I have enough time...
    AFh66ZQ.png
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Edit: on phone so blunt as a necessity. Forgot to say, the actual shapes are looking nice and clean.

Legs are too short, he could almost touch his own toes without leaning over. Will elaborate more when I get to a comp but generally the ends of the uncurled fingers meet mid-thigh or, on an overly masculine gorrilla man, mid knee.
  • jfitch
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    You're totally right, I've been playing with that a bit but haven't posted yet. I'll do that soon. I stretched the legs out a bit and gave him a bit more height. I might shrink the arms further but I'm not sure. I wanted him to have sort of ridiculous proportions like the characters in wulverblade (http://wulverblade.com/) but I think I may have pushed it a little too far.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Not so much "too far" as there's sort of rules for making appealing stylized proportions-- you can break 'em, but you have to know how to keep it balanced.

Wulverblade seems to do this by having huge heads, tbh. The arms are also kinda stretchy, so they can retract to looking about knee-length, but sometimes be so long they'd touch the floor. Doesn't really translate into more detailed 3D too well. A lot of clean sweeping curves and geometric shapes, too (the arms are more or less just notched cylinders, no sculpted biceps here).

I know you weren't going for this look specifically, but a quick comparison for an explanation as to why what you've gone with don't quite mesh.
    S5hTdNav.png
    Your dude is like 5 and a bit heads wide (shoulders) and also 5 and a bit heads tall, by the way, which is kind of a weird measurement when the head's kinda skinny. Wulverblade guys are 3 by 4.

Anyway, the way you've gone with the teeny head makes matching these guys look strange. What I personally found to look a little bit more appealing was bringing everything under the chest down a little (not arms, the arms can more or less stay how they are). Really quick liquefy, a little more to the Heavy extreme. Still would have stubbier legs though. For the record, I think widening everything under the chest a little bit could help as well, this is not the only solution by any means. :poly124:
    y7Z9xKBU.png

Just sorta suggestions and thoughts, you have your own ideas, and with the timelimit some revisions just wouldn't be possible. In the future, these tensed fingers also aren't idea for rigs nor actually being able to get a good read of your character's proportions/rhythm. Still looking forward to how this ends up looking in game-rez & with textures.
  • jfitch
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you so much for taking the time to do that! Super helpful. I should've done that myself. I'll do some tests and post a few variations later tonight :)
  • Avlaus
    Offline / Send Message
    Avlaus polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Jfitch, I’m really enjoying your character so far. Not much to contribute :P, but I tried to do a stylized character recently and failed. So I will follow your progress and try to learn something, if you don’t mind :D.

Maybe you could take a look at some “How to train your dragon” characters, they have weird proportions but look nice anyway.
  • jfitch
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you guys again :) Avlaus I checked out the characters for how to train your dragon and you're right that was interesting reference. They have much bigger heads, I wish I had done way more research and posted this thread sooner so I could focus more on those design elements.

On the plus side, just because I have to get this done so quickly for class doesn't mean I can't go back and fix it up later.

Alright, I wanted to keep the tiny legs, but something about these proportions makes him feel much more powerful. Bagel you're probably right about the hands being in a shite position for rigging, I was going to do some moving around once the sculpt was more where I like it, I just like having the hands like that while sculpting for some reason.

Anyway I basically widened his base and moved it down quite a bit. Did some quick folds, I know symmetry probably isn't ideal but I've got until tonight to get this feller to low res with UVs and a normal bake. Shoes are still dirty model right now, gotta go back into maya and make nice clean loops.

hdUjihJ.png
  • jfitch
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Hello friends, still chuggin away. Going to start on the hair, still trying to figure out what I really want to do with the shoulder pauldron...hmmm.
    2ppMDHm.png
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Hey, this is shaping up really well! Looks really clean to me. I don't think the symmetrical folds are much of a problem on this. Interested in how the hair'll go, haha
  • jfitch
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks! :D

Yeah, the hair is giving me some issues right now. Not sure if I should go with block hair or do some cards. Trying to sculpt out some basic shapes at the moment
  • jfitch
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Alright, I decided to do hair cards, but I did a blockout of the beard to get a good idea. Added some pouches to the belt, and now its time to make the low res...it's going to be a long night.

I'll probably come back and add some high frequency detail later, and a lot of it will be created within substance painter.

yg4x7fW.png
  • lophead25
    Offline / Send Message
    lophead25 polycounter lvl 10
    Really digging the direction you're going for, you could develop the wrench a bit more when you get to that stage, but all in all can't wait to see this finished, dont rush it :D
  • jfitch
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks lop! I'm excited to start the wrench, luckily I dont have to have that done with the rest of the character so I'll be able to develop it a bit more.

I don't want to rush it but I have to rush some of it :| luckily I thought ahead and a lot of my high res meshes have good topo at their base level, so I can start from that!
  • jfitch
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    it's been a while since I updated this! My bad guys.

So, if you're curious, I got the low poly and normal/AO bakes done on time. Since then I've been doing some rigging and it's time to do a pass on materials.

Here's a render from toolbag real quick with some descent lighting. Tri count at the moment is 16k, which is a little steep but I haven't done any optimization yet.

Next steps include getting the mats done, designing the wrench, and doing some posing. I also have to do a walk cycle and a run cycle for class, hopefully I can get a lot of the character's personality into them!

PAbxQew.png
  • Julien Noel
    Good Work ! He's looking good now, the design is balanced, simple and efficient!
    Enjoy for texturing now !
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Nice shapes! I'm really loving how this is turning out. Looking forward to seeing some textures.
  • jfitch
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Me too haha. I'm curious to know what people think about doing high frequency detail for this, like skin pores, cloth patterns and such. I was going to try for something similar to an overwatch character, and it seems like most of them really don't have that. I was thinking something more painterly, with nice damage effects on the metals.

I'll be doing some color tests tonight to try and decide on a color scheme!