Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warhammer dwarven axe

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
CybranM interpolator
This is a model I've made based on the warhammer online artbook. I'm looking for feedback and critique on the model and the showcase layout :)

[SKETCHFAB]d359d3479c6c47b2ac568302fb2261ea[/SKETCHFAB]

QSqU5zN.jpg

otWfXsZ.jpg

Textures:
2QrDWAR.jpg

Replies

• HashBrownHamish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HashBrownHamish polycounter lvl 5
    This looks really nice and the Warhammer feel is definitely there! ^^
    Only two things that bother me is the gold hue could do with a bit more orange to match the reference and your axes blade has too much wear and tear for my taste.

Other than that the presentation is looking good too ^^
  • jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    This looks really awesome man, great job. The textures and model are really nice!

A couple of things as far as critique goes:
    The notches on your model look just a bit too intense, they're pretty subtle in the concept and i think thats important to match. The deeper cuts make it feel a little off, though I understand what you were going for!

I agree with HashBrown that the gold should look a little more orange, and some of your other metal pieces should be a little more rough, for instance in the bottom piece I can see the skybox and I don't think I should be able to.

I also think the bump on your leather texture is a little bit too pillow-y compared to the concept, but I actually like that. Just depends on how much you want to stray from the concept.

The center blue gem looks like a plastic piece, and it should look more like jelly or have some kind of translucency. This is tough to do, I know. Something like making an opaque sphere underneath a transparent sphere might help, with slightly different rough values and albido. I'd have to do some experimenting to see what the best way to do that is.

All in all though, great work, I think you nailed the feel of the weapon and thats really important. Keep up the good work man!
  • CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Thanks!

@HashBrownHamish
    Yeah the wear is a bit much, I wasn't sure what style I wanted when I first started with the highpoly model but I should tone it down a bit since I ended up going for a realistic look.

@jfitch
    I overdid the notches and scratches a bit as you said and I'll work on making the metal more rough. By bottom piece do you mean what's below the handle?

I also agree with the feedback on the blue gem, I couldn't really make it look the way I wanted but the sphere inside a sphere approach sounds like it would work.
  • jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah the pommel area looks a little too shiny, though that could be your renderer too. What are you rendering in?
  • CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    I used 3do, the one that comes with Quixel Suite. I'd like to render it using UE4 but it looks much worse in UE4 than Quixel even though I use the same textures.
  • Krater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krater polycounter lvl 10
    Looks great! One thing that came to mind was that the handle is a bit to "clean", there aren't much wear on the leather. Looking at the reference there seem to be more of a red colour.
  • CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    That's true, I tried to make it look more worn but I couldnt get it to look right so I scrapped it for now.
  • piotr47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    piotr47 polycounter lvl 4
    I've seen this one through your artstation.

That is a beauty!