Home Technical Talk

zBrush 4r7 - Destroying highdef polygroups during save

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
mickaelb polycounter lvl 3
Hi everyone,

I have a problem with a tool sculpted in zBrush 4r7.

My tool has several subdivisions (7) and when I was at the highest level I created polygroups from visible parts.

Now, like older versions of the software, when you turn around your tool, the software switches between high to low sub, and swich back when you stop moving.
So we can see the lower def of our polygroups during these moves, but when you stop, the higher def comes back.

But here's the problem, when the software makes a quicksave , or when I save the tool, high def polygroups are destroyed and low def polygroups become default ones.

1. High def polygroups before saving.
2. After saving.

1polyd5d6.png2poly38fd.png

Is there a trick to be able to keep our high def polygroups ?

Thank you.

Replies

• jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Polygroups are based on the geometry at level 0, I've never put them on objects at higher divisions. If I were you I would try to get your polygroups set at level 0, it looks like the geo should support it!
    Sculpt is looking good by the way :)
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Always create it on the lowest level, otherwise even stepping up and down subdivision levels can mess them up.

Think of it this way: if you had a single quad subdivided once into a 2x2 grid, you could go to the second level and give each of those 4 new faces their own polygroup. But if you step down to level 1, suddenly it only has one face to work with (and which group would that face belong to?). It gives zbrush a headache, which is why it reevaluates polygroups when this happens.

Create them at the lowest subdiv level and you wont have this problem. If you need the extra geo to create the groups you want, delete the lower levels until you have enough at the base level.
  • mickaelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, I thought it could be a bug, because zbrush can hold sculpt details for each sub-level, so why not for polygroups ? A mystery... maybe a good feature for next release. :p
  • Norstu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norstu polycounter lvl 8
    Polypaint from Polygroups (Polypaint rollout)

Then if polygroups get jumbled/destroyed = Polygroups from Polypaint (Polygroups rollout)
    *May need to increase PTolerance Slider if you have a lot of groups.

Not exact but is a way to preserve your polygroups....mostly (~^.^)~
  • mickaelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norstu wrote: »
    Polypaint from Polygroups (Polypaint rollout)

Then if polygroups get jumbled/destroyed = Polygroups from Polypaint (Polygroups rollout)
    *May need to increase PTolerance Slider if you have a lot of groups.

Not exact but is a way to preserve your polygroups....mostly (~^.^)~

Yes I thought about it, finally I could make my polygroups in lower sub-level, but Polypaint is a good alternative when we have a mesh with not much poly in sub-level 0.