Trawlers Busts

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Trawler polycounter lvl 6
LATEST:
fa4ced19b7.jpg
8dfd522bfa.jpg

Hey guys,

I really need help on my head sculpts - they always seem lifeless and unrealistic and I feel like I need some guidance to improve as I think I have hit a brick wall a little.

I have sculpted this girl so far from a sphere(staying away from base meshes as to try and get proportions down).

fc4ead861b.jpg

1f07f23e32.jpg

6e836a4af6.jpg

As you can see I have a long way to go :/ I'll keep updating this post as I go along just so I have some visual log on what I have done and if I have improved.

Thanks all :)

Replies

• AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Are you using a reference? and if so post it.
    Right now I 'd say you have various anatomical mistakes like the back of the skull which blends downwards far too much, the ears look glued on, the eyes don't have any bony landmarks around them and the corners of the mouth are making a large indentation which isn't concise especially to a young woman.
    You could probably benefit from going a little lower on the dynamesh and hitting some anatomy from the start.
  • Trawler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Firith,

Yeah I have been using reference, mainly from random images around the web of just the female face - not really sculpting a specific face, but maybe I should?

8bb0372d85.jpg

I have also been using my anatomy book for reference also.

You are right about the dynamesh, I think i'll do another sculpt tonight and keep it low until I find the forms.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll work on the areas you mentioned in my sculpt tonight :)
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    pretty good reference board!
    I usually don't use one specific reference when practicing anatomy,
    because different areas are readable from one reference to another
    so I just look at what helps me understand the structure.
    I can see where you got that smooth back of the skull from now that you posted your ref,
    to be honest the blonde girl has a thick neck I think relatively, and maybe she was leaning back a bit too.
    Anyway keep it up, looking forward to your progress!
  • Trawler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all!

I have tried to take everything that Firith said into account when sculpting this next head -

It was done over my lunch break at work so its a little over an hours work, still some issues i feel but I wanted to try and keep this thread updated as much as i could!

5341106711.jpg

1e6dd5ac32.jpg

I think she looks really odd from the side :/ not sure what to do to fix it! i'll just have to keep plugging away till she looks right.

Feedback would be highly appreciated :)

Cheers guys.
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Hey man, nice progress! :)
    Definetely better around the eyes and mouth.
    Yes the side does look weird here is a quick paintover, don't take this to a 100% but it's towards being ok.
    LZt6Gar.jpg
    Since you have a bit of chest area, sculpt her collarbones, at least loosely, so you know where to end those tendons or whatever they are named (:P) which go behind the ears.
    Also on the detail side of things your ears are far behind everything else, they look soft and smooth everywhere, so give 'em some love.
    ps: I edited only the left side of the front view
  • Trawler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all!

Just a quick update before I go off on holiday for the week. I wanted to get these changes done before i shoot off.

Thanks Firith for the awesome paintover of the bust! Tried to get all the changes you suggested in - i'll continue to polish this piece - maybe even practice my skin painting and facial topology maybe?

But I will be definitely doing more busts as I want to keep practicing.

8dfd522bfa.jpg

fa4ced19b7.jpg

f2d2ce9cfe.jpg

I'll be taking my laptop with me so i'll be able to work! but wont be able to post as I have no internet ( apart from my phone!)

Thanks all :)
  • dwgagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwgagner polycounter lvl 7
    I think you're going too high res way too fast, don't treat it like clay. Only subdivide when you can no longer add anymore detail.

Example of workflow bad vs good practices:

tumblr_n1owgizbof1rvc2vjo2_250.giftumblr_n1owgizbof1rvc2vjo3_250.gif