Home Technical Talk

Making sense of knald

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
I can't tell if there's something wrong with the software or my workflow but I'd love some insight into this.

1. I used a color map to generate a normal map that I'm happy with: http://i.imgur.com/1NxNJ7B.jpg

After exporting, I brought in the new normal map to generate height/ ao/ etc. But upon importing the normal map (or any normal map for that matter) everything looks terribly compressed: http://i.imgur.com/DLcWun0.jpg

What's causing this?

Replies

• tach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe it's a known issue caused by some Nvidia drivers. Update them to the latest version and it should be fixed.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man, I wanted it to be that simple. No dice.

But you recognized my Nvidia card. Is there a known issue with the GTX 970? I feel like that's a fairly common card?
  • tach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No idea but it's most certanly an opengl issue caused by the drivers as it happened a while ago. I'd suggest either reinstalling them with the clean install option enabled or keep rolling back until it gets fixed.
  • ridger_drift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ridger_drift polycounter lvl 5

After exporting, I brought in the new normal map to generate height/ ao/ etc. But upon importing the normal map (or any normal map for that matter) everything looks terribly compressed: http://i.imgur.com/DLcWun0.jpg

Don't export and then re-import the Knald generated normal map.
    Once you're happy with the Normal map generated from the Color Map hit the "Update Integrator" button and that will set Knald to generate out usable AO, Cavity, Convexity, etc. maps.

I have yet to get good or even usable results when I load a Normal map straight into Knald, but the Color to Normals generator is where it excels IMO.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's an nVidia driver issue. Install the latest drivers for your card, but do a full install (not an update) and it should fix that compression issue.

Just updating them isn't enough, needs to be a full reinstall to fix the issue.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys were right: clean install fixed the problem. And if it persists beyond clean install, an email from Knald reads:
    Performing a Clean Installation of the driver
    • Download the latest NVIDIA and start the install.
    • When you are prompted choose "clean installation" rather than the default "express installation"
    • Reboot

Deleting the Shader Cache
    • Go to your NVIDIA control panel> Manage 3D Settings, turn off Shader Cache and hit Apply
    • Reboot your PC
    • Go to %username%\AppData\Local\Temp\NVIDIA Corporation\NV_Cache and delete the contents of the folder (You can paste that address directly into a Windows address bar)
    • Go back to your NVIDIA control panel> Manage 3D Settings, turn On Shader Cache and hit Apply
    • Try Knald.