Home Technical Talk

3DS Max Soft Selection tool not working.

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
tommyscottart polycounter lvl 8
I've attached an image of what happens when I try to use soft selection below. Not only am I not getting the heat signatures to show what polygons are affected, the tool simply won't taper my sword guard properly as in the left example of the image, it just makes the entire sword guard bigger or smaller, even though I only have those two polygons at the end selected. Any help, is greatly appreciated. My model is on the right, and I'm trying to achieve what's on the left: http://i.imgur.com/aTx72Lq.jpg

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    ...am I not getting the heat signatures to show what polygons are affected...

Try pressing the "Shade Selected Faces" button on in the command panel. Although sometimes they don't show up for me either.

the tool simply won't taper my sword guard properly as in the left example of the image, it just makes the entire sword guard bigger or smaller

I think maybe your falloff is too high that it's actually encasing the entire model. Try lowering the falloff value to 0, and work up from there.

Also, in the end try Resetting xForms. That might fix both problems too.
  • tommyscottart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tommyscottart polycounter lvl 8
    Ah, it seems the falloff option was the answer to my problem. Thanks a lot! The tutorial decided not to mention that until a few minutes AFTER the modelling had been done. Go figure. :/