Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Blackout Police Station

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
FULGORE greentooth
So after about a month of persuasion to make a thread and not just stick to my sketchbook thread (Jimmy), here's what I've been working on - and it's taken ages because I've been trying to get a good result from the lighting.. after working with Snowdrop and actually being able to run CryEngine on your work pc, you get a little spoiled..

It's heavily inspired by that E3 (I think) The Division demo with the police station, and also a tiny bit by Battlefield Hardline. Power's out, apart from emergency lighting.

veryWIP27.png

veryWIP26.png

I still think lighting and composition are definitely not my strengths, so any crits and feedback = super helpful

Replies

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Added in a WIP window for some variation in lighting (and the heightfog's a little too strong in this)

veryWIP28.png
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    This is looking awesome! Are you doing anything in particular with your post processing to get that sharpness to your images?
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    I think it is really looking good. nice details and Material definition, that chair feels kinda out of place thought and the computer screen looks a bit flat.

Can't wait to see how it will evolve.
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Small update based on feedback, mostly lighting changes and small alterations to the walls. I might replace all the wooden chairs with office-y swivel chairs, who knows. And the chunky CRT monitor annoys me too - it looks nice in Marmoset, so I'm thinking that it's a Lightmap related thing. Might chamfer the edges and re-bake.
    And I apply an Unsharp Mask at strength 56 to all my renders, that's my secret :P
    veryWIP29.png
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Nice stuff, I loooove those models you made for the different types of lights.

The only thing I might be concerned with/made aware of is maybe, maaaybe the composition might get a bit too noisy/crazy in the background area, but that could probably be just coming from some of the models being in various states of blockouts versus finished.

Keep it up!
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Thanks for the kind words :)

Got motivated to do some more with this project after work, so I'm trying out different structural meshes (and I've learned a thing or two from an awesome lighting artist here in Newcastle), as a major crit of this environment was a lack of focal point:

(minimal postprocessing atm)

Station_WIP_01%20%282%29.png

(I wish Epic would either fix light source orientation for spot lights or I could arrange this environment in Snowdrop...)
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Bit of an overhaul - after soaking in many game screenshots and videos - modified some existing assets, blocked out some more, made a new structure, tried to make lighting/composition/etc not suck, that kind of thing:

SE_Statopm_WIP_04.png

Now if only it was super easy to make these emergency lights have lovely volumetricyness..
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Assuming that desk in the back is real world scale those are some ridiculously low hanging lights
  • ed_3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking nice man! Regarding the volumetricyness... have you looked into ue4's example projects? I'm pretty sure some of them have a cheap solution involving a panning material and a blueprint, because I grabbed it for myself a while ago. I think it might have been the Reflections demo :)

Agreed with AtticusMars about the lights, they do seem way too low
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Thanks ^^ I'll look at UE4 examples - had a look at the blueprints demo and it seemed a bit over my head.
    Shortened the cables on the lights, and added some more clutter:
    clutter.jpg
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice little details :) agree about the lights but sounds like you have fixed that already. environment feels a little empty at the moment but that's easy to change with smaller props and clutter on the desks and I am guessing you want to focus on the bigger stuff first anyway.
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Felt like adding some more small clutter clusters after work - so I'm doing smashed glass ^^

trash_glass.jpg

@mats effect - yup, trying to work through this (semi) logically. In the previous iteration I kinda rushed the desks and filing cabinets by quickly using chamfers, edited normals, and plain tiling textures. But I want to make sure when I go over them again, they're done nicely
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Small update - worked on clutter and adding window trim and skirting. Still got some placement to fix, and I'm still using scaled desks as blockout meshes for the locker room and a radiator, etc

SE_Statopm_WIP_05.png

Edit: annoyingly, looks like the dirt mask for the bloom doesn't show up in highres shots -__- anyone know how to fix this?
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    With the full white windows, maybe you could add some very vague blobs of slightly less "bright" light to imply there's stuff outside. Idk if it would work well but it's worth a shot
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Some fun stuff - doing a damage/vandalism pass

DamagePass.png
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Image-heavy post incoming :)

A load of WIP shots after some more blocking out of props, placements of grunge and WIP graffiti, etc etc

WIP_Shot1.jpg

WIP_Shot2.jpg

WIP_Shot3.jpg

WIP_Shot4.jpg

WIP_Shot5.jpg

WIP_Shot6.jpg

WIP_Shot7.jpg

WIP_Shot8.jpg
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Slight change to the colours (less of a blue overlay over EVERYTHING) and added in some really obviously fake volumetric cones/glare in Photoshop :P

SE_Station_WIP.jpg
  • John Baxter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Baxter polycounter lvl 7
    Nice "temp graffiti" :P
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Thanks :P - plan to bust out my old, very dusty tablet for the proper textures

Small update - tweaked the lighting a lot, added obviously fake volumetric cones, since UE4 is a tad behind on the times (and my launcher crashes 100% so I can't access the learning content), and altered the material for the WIP smashed glass

SE_Statopm_WIP_10.png
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Started to add stuff to the reception office area behind the window - using a marble desk top and a BSOD'd monitor as another light source:

11012139_10205446578101865_8164424339164880874_o.jpg
  • Soldier63
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow I love it! I wish I could be one day as good as you :)
    in between, have you ever thought about recording yoyur workflow, or even streaming! I would be totally the one who would watch!! :)
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    I cast Raise Zombie on this thread :D

This has been totally overhauled, and I'm more and more realising that it's funny how The Division E3 trailer planted the seed of this project in my head - now I'm working on it and still working on this environment :P

Latest stuffs:

harley-wilson-shots1.jpg?1444852566

harley-wilson-shots4.jpg?1444852585

More @ Artstation

--

@Soldier63 - Thanks :D really high praise! I'm not sure I could really teach anything that you can't find somewhere else (and better) though :P That said, I know some good tips on saving time. Stuff like doing a bare minimum high-poly and easily adding most of the normal map detail in 2D - that can really, really speed up your work in a lot of cases. Maybe I'll do some write-ups when I get some holidays or something
  • MNBerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really like how this is shaping up! I am really digging the lighting set up. Cant wait until you get some more material work done. :)
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Hey hey,
    So this is officially my longest-running project. The first iteration of this environment, according to facebook, sprang into life about a year ago. Since then I've had an awesome job to be present at, and I've completely scrapped and re-done this enviro about 2 or 3 times. But... enough is enough. Ish. Still lots that could be done to it (maybe someday) but for now I'm calling it done.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/oxyPm