Home General Discussion

Attempted account hack?

DRoss3d
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
DRoss3d polycounter lvl 6
So I was browsing through some of the threads, when I received an email from polycount notifying me that someone has tried logging into my account. It provided the IP address and it looks like it was coming from China. Has anyone experienced this? What would be the point of trying to hack into my account?

Replies

• cheeseplus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheeseplus admin
    DRoss3d wrote: »
    So I was browsing through some of the threads, when I received an email from polycount notifying me that someone has tried logging into my account. It provided the IP address and it looks like it was coming from China. Has anyone experienced this? What would be the point of trying to hack into my account?

We've seen an uptick in these kinds of Chinese botnet style sweeps as of late and have been blocking IPs as we field them. It's mostly just an annoyance but obviously changing passwords on a regular schedule isn't bad advice generally.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    DRoss3d wrote: »

The point probably isn't to hack into a forum account, per say (other than to post spam links, I guess?) but it could be to verify/scrape a password/username combo via something less secure, like a forum, which then could be used on other sites...ebay, amazon, paypal, ...even a WoW account could have a big dollar value in it..and you'd be surprised how many people recycle passwords for everything.
  • Chromogen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The point probably isn't to hack into a forum account, per say (other than to post spam links, I guess?) but it could be to verify/scrape a password/username combo via something less secure, like a forum, which then could be used on other sites...ebay, amazon, paypal, ...even a WoW account could have a big dollar value in it..and you'd be surprised how many people recycle passwords for everything.

Uhhhh.....be right back.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I got an email about this as well a few days ago as well.
  • DRoss3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DRoss3d polycounter lvl 6
    @blankslatejoe I hadn't thought of that, but it's a good thing I have a different password for every website. Time to change my password, just to be on the safe side.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Yeah I got the same email from polycount and the UDK forum and an ip trace led to China as well. I was also curious as to why someone would want my accounts but the password fishing makes sense.

An old Arab curse should suffice: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their bung holes!