Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Upgrading Skills: Learnin' Project (crits please)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
I'm trying to upgrade and update my skillset, and get into hard surface modeling, and PBR texturing. I'm doing this flamethrower, loosely based on this design.

2a0c8w5.jpg

The file name said it's by Alexey Pyatov, and that's all the information I have on it.

I said "loosely" based on this design, because there's several areas on the design that contradict each other, so I've had to take some artistic license with it. Anyway here's what I have for the high res so far.

axxxl1.jpg

Any feedback, thoughts, suggestions, or whatever, are always welcome.

Replies

• Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update, adding the fuel cable, and some smaller edits.

ebakis.jpg
  • Darkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkbox polycounter lvl 8
    really cool so far!
  • RitualSynergY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RitualSynergY greentooth
    Hey man this is looking great! One thing sticking out to me is the rubber bits on the grip from the concept seem to have a softer look, while yours are bit squared. Looking forward to more :D
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Would really appreciate to see the highpoly mesh before it's turbosmoothed for learning reference!
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

RitualSynergY, thanks for that. I've softened the grippy bits now. Update time!

o8e6gj.jpg
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    In the concept, I really like the negative space between the central barrel and the 4 beams that hold/support it.

You seem to have removed a bit of that negative space and thinned them out.

I think it would be interesting from a silhouette standpoint to increase the spacing so there is a clear visual separation between the barrel and the supports.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I forgot to mention a question I have. I have a Geforce GTX 260 card, which I'm sure most of you know, is old. If I'm going to try and do some PBR rendering in Marmoset, would that card be adequate? It fails at playing games, but I'm hoping I can do a little PBR render with it.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni, Good point. I didn't see your post till after I posted my question... I'll get on that immediately
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed the distance from the outer bars, and barrel. Had to change a few other things to keep it looking ok. Thanks for the crits. :)

2ugjms7.jpg
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Ah ya much better!

Just a quick note going WAY forward. Since the overall model is dark, the light gray background in the concept would be good to use for presentation as well.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll keep that in mind. Thanks
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low poly, weighing in at 20,174 tri's. I could probably knock it down a few, but I don't know the average tri count for an FPS game weapon, these days. Anyway, thoughts, crits, suggestions, always welcome. If I don't hear much on this, I'll get on to the UV's soon-ish. Thanks so much for the commetns, and crits so far. I really appreciate the help.

k388y8.jpg
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like the grippy bits on the handle were hidden on that last update. Here's a couple shots with them in.

23s944z.jpg
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I have a few friends working on some newer AAA games and the Polycount for weapons are getting pretty insane these days!!

Here are a few thoughts though. I don't have Gyazo installed at work yet so I'll just embed this (sry!)

Anyways, pay attention to how many edge loops and sides you use for your various cylinders. Why do the tiny tiny cylinders/spheres have so many edge loops vs. the larger ones. The larger ones are definitely more important for the model vs. the tiny ones. That would be the one thing I would suggest to go back and refine, you may end up with the same number of polygons at the end; however, the large cylinders will look much better!
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very good point!! Thanks a bunch for that great feedback. My thinking was that those areas were closer to the player's view, so they'd notice those things more. But those other cylinders were too low poly.

I went back and removed a few tri's here and there, to allow for more on the larger cylinders. The count hasn't changed much, but it did go down. 20,052 tri's now. Although, the cylinder in the front, the one that would be the read out on the design, looks a little too low to me, now. What do you think?

977241.jpg
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Ah you can def keep the ones near the camera a bit higher. I should have been more specific. Just making sure if a small one is high res, that the lager ones aren't too low res in comparison since they are responsible for shilouette.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update: Soooo many uv's.... Will post when they're done.

Also, if anyone's looking to hire a 3d artist with experience, my portfolio, and email are in my signature. Thanks.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is an early texture pass, in Marmoset 2. It really doesn't seem like the PBR is showing in this, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong, or if it's because my graphics card does not support DX 11.

I'm going to get some example files for PBR, and see if I can get better results. I really hope I don't have to buy a new card...

2nlfhqc.jpg
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texture update.

I still have some colors to get correct, and some other things to change, but if something pops out at you, and needs changing, let me know. Thanks.

zyg38m.jpg

2rnd5ro.jpg

2ihq879.jpg
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, complete texture makeover time!!

I scrapped what I had, and started over. Found the Cerberus gun PBR files, and I can at least get a close approximation of what's in there. So again, if there's anything that stands out to you, let me know. Thanks.

zikbwg.jpg

2rdyhis.jpg

295yblj.jpg