Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Yet another Showreel thread!

Nistrum
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
New New folio! with all the crits and information I was given I Re-Rebuilt my portfolio and feel like I have all together a MUCH stronger folio. Again and always please, any feedback you have no matter how harsh I would love to hear!

Thanks a ton guys (and girls)
Blake

Artstation Link: https://nistrum.artstation.com/

Replies

• Nistrum
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm. cant tell if no comments is a good thing or a bad thing.
    what do you think i would need to do to get some interest in a games company? should i drop some of the high poly freelance stuff for some low poly personal work?
  • pigart
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    Flickr isn't the best thing to use for a portfolio. Putting your stuff on artstation would be better.

Your model are spinning really fast. I have to stop the video to get a good look at the details.
  • joshschmitt
    Offline / Send Message
    joshschmitt polycounter lvl 11
    Ok, so I am not trying to be harsh if this comes that way, but here are a few things I see.

1. Dont use flickr as a portfolio site, use artstation.com
    2. Reels are meh unless you are doing animation or have a scene that you want to share thats has animated effects.
    3. Your art is sproadic meaning you have a tank then hand painted floors for another, while its good to spread out I would suggest sticking to learning one thing.
    4. Use an almost black background for your renders, grey is no bueno.
    5. Your images seem way too low rez and or blurry to make details out.
  • Nistrum
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys.
    josh not harsh at all, pretty much exactly what i was after.
    and thanks pig.

will shift my work over to artstation.
    next thing. granted you cant see it very well, but what about the quality. is it something you would expect to see people getting work with or not?

Be harsh. its the only way i am going to make this work.
  • pigart
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    Imo your work is good enough to get some freelance work.
    You still have a lot to learn and get better at to get a studio job though.
  • Nistrum
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, i really just need some time in a games studio. its just frustrating trying to get there. will slow my rotations down on the reel too. will update a little later itll take me a while to hunt down things to re render them. but ill get there :P
  • TGI
    Offline / Send Message
    TGI polycounter lvl 3
    Nistrum-

If you're going to have a reel (which isn't really necessary as others have pointed out unless you have environments with moving elements or animation), then the rotations need to be 5 seconds long each and only have two rots for each pass of the mesh. The stuff in your reel rotates way too fast for people to admire the details of your work.

Also, if you're going for a game studio, more wireframes and callout sheets would be awesome.
  • joshschmitt
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nistrum

If you want to see if you are good enough for a studio job, put your artwork against others e.g. load up artstation or some amazing 3d artist and compare your work, if you are not as good then you know where to start.

What I see is a lot simple assets like a lamp, or a simple building. I would not use that as a portfolio piece, use whatever looks good freelance or personal doesnt matter.

I think you have a long way to go before studio ready, as previously mentioned what do you want to do? Environment? Props? if environment, practice using trim sheets and make a scene because thats about 95% of an environment artist job. If its a prop, make amazing props.
  • Nistrum
    Offline / Send Message
    well. personally im a little torn. i love environment art. but i feel like props are more my thing. hence the speeder.

i have a fair bit of newer freelance work that i think is still under NDA. much higher detail sculpting work etc. so im kinda stuck on that one. am working on some new sculpts but that takes time.

Bar the obvious lack of detail due to poor images what do you think of that speeder? do you think it shows a capable level or is it still sub par (as this is my only real current work)
  • joshschmitt
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nistrum

I think its a good start, idk hard to explain atm.
  • Nistrum
    Offline / Send Message
    cool. well i really appreciate the help and advice guys. will update my stuff tonight. will post again with some changes. :D
  • Nistrum
    Offline / Send Message
    OK. so with a fair bit more hard work changes have been made!

Added in my freelance work as well as bits I have worked on personally, as always happy to hear what you guys have to say!

https://nistrum.artstation.com/
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looks decent but that bronze sculpted trophy looks like you made it 5 years earlier than the others, definitely cut that one out

I am not convinced by your texturing skillls, definitely work on that
    Try making some weathered props, and no more sci-fi stuff
  • Quotidian
    Offline / Send Message
    Quotidian polycounter lvl 2
    pretty much everything I've heard from industry professionals is DO NOT use show reels if what you're showing is turn tables of static objects. It probably detracts from your overall presentation more than you benefit from it.

Check out this presentation if you haven't already: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1022096/Killer-Portfolio-or-Portfolio-Killer
  • Nistrum
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, by trophy you mean the thing in the hand painted section? f so then consider it gone. haha and no more sci fi stuff! ive got some more fantasy stuff on its way in. again more of the hand painted stuff. so yeah working on the textures.

could you be a bit more specific about the texturing? what do you think of the speeder and dreadnought stuff?

and quotidian thanks for the link. will check that out for sure! and TBH the reel is only on the folio site as an extra thumbnail. I can take it out but it shows some stuff quite well.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    I meant the bronze/copper looking one that is in your showreel , after the silver trophy
  • Nistrum
  • Dan Powell
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    In my opinion you don't need any videos unless stuff is animated, or has an animated aspect to it. Videos take a lot more effort to appreciate static than a nice photo/render do! :)

For example, if your prop is just a static firearm - there's no movement or you're not showing off any reload animations, then just do some nice renders of it with good lighting instead of doing a turntable.

Generally, unless your applying to a generalist role, then keep your portfolio to one area and remove the weaker areas of work.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I feel that in comparison to the rest of your work, your 2D firearm concepts are weaker.

Your high poly stuff (the tank, car and robot) is awesome so render those at a much higher resolution and put some more love into making pretty renders for them. I like the style of the poster you've done for the big high poly mech.

All in all, make the best stuff big, and remove the weaker stuff. I think your images of the Car, the Mech and the Tank should be the big photos - not the building models.

Keep up the good work. :)
  • Nistrum
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, First. thanks a lot to everyone that has posted to far, i really appreciate the time and help you guys have given me.

I have edited the first post with my new artstation portfolio.
    If people could give me their thoughts on that I would be even more appreciative! :D. thanks again, you guys are why I love polycount so much!

just in case. here is the link again https://nistrum.artstation.com/
  • Nistrum
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, just wanted to bump this to see if i could get some feedback on the newer folio i posted. plus, new polycount is weird. but in a good way. :P  
  • Nistrum
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, gonna bump this to see if i can get any new feedback! sorry to be a pain
  • Nistrum
    Offline / Send Message
    Please guys, i could really use the help!
  • Nistrum
    Offline / Send Message
    Added someeye catching stuff to get people to click! i just want some feedback on the new site guys. Im just gonna keep bugging you until somone says something! :D
  • Nistrum
    Offline / Send Message
    Again.... lol. what can i say. im stubborn and determined 
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    The website the way you currently have it setup looks a bit old school and unprofessional imo.  Personally I wouldn't worry about that too much I think your main focus should be content.  The only thing that stands out as really solid work to me is your latest with the nike shoes.  I think you should make a game ready model out of this at the very least and it would be great if you had it setup in marmoset viewer as well.  The rest of your work isn't on the same level and I'm sorry to say should either be revamped or dropped all together.  I think if you made more assets at the same quality level as those shoes and made proper video game assets out of them you would be in really good shape.  So only thing I can say is keep working dude, because although those shoes are really nice, its not enough for an entire portfolio and the rest of the stuff on there is only holding you back.  Good luck man!
  • Nistrum
    Offline / Send Message
    when you say website you mean artstation? 

the trainers are work i did for nike, its not something i have the files for at home. It was for their TV add campaign. 

I am pretty pleased with the guns and the speeder, would you say they were really that far below where they need to be? if so could you suggest how i might have done or do them better?

Thanks for the feedback. I am currently working on an environment that is kind of eating up all my time, but i think by the end of the week i should have that done too.