Home Technical Talk

Adaptive modular meshes?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Erafic polycounter lvl 10
I've got a question about something we've seen in games at times before. This might be more technical, thus why I ask here.

In games like Spore we have character models that modifies according to the way you shape them. In Lionheads Black and White 2 you could pull out the shape of defensive walls that followed the path you drew.

I'm not sure what to call this principle, lets just say adaptive meshes? If you were to make a game that allowed the player to adjust such things of a modular model, tugging on a wall and having more windows appear along it or making a vehicle longer and thus having more wheels and entry points appear on it. What would a good way be to approach doing that? Is it something that's more done through the engine through scripting/code?

Reason I'm asking is because it's a feature I'm curious about, and I've started working on a UE4 project where that'd be a feature I'd love to have for the players.

Anyone know how to approach this kinda thing? Or if there's some more info/concepts on the web one can look up?

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I remember seeing a ladder pack on the ue4 marketplace that was something along those lines with blueprints, there was recently a fence pack too. Concept also reminds me of tools built in Houdini.