Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED: normal map editing

OctoKube
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
OctoKube polycounter lvl 2
hi folks,

is there a way to edit an existing normal map in NDO without adding detail, I have this normal map with a few harsh lines I would just like to edit with the sliders in NDO but I cant get the existing normal to load as an editable tile. It seems that the sliders only work on new layers where detail wold be added on top.

Replies

• teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi OctoKube!

All normal layers in an NDO document are fully non-destructive, so unless the normal groups have been manually merged they should always remain editable. To access each normal, simply select the normal layer in the PSD layer stack, or use the up and down arrow keys in the NDO UI to quickly access the different layers. This will bring up the editing UI.

If your normal map is a flat document however (for instance baked from another software, on an NDO normal doucment that has been manually flattened), you will only be able to edit normals that you add on top of it with the NDO tweaking UI. Let me know if something is unclear and I'll be happy to help!

- Teddy
  • OctoKube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OctoKube polycounter lvl 2
    that is quite clear, it is a normal baked in xnormal brought into ndo. It would be an interesting option to have.

Thanks for the reply.
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks OctoKube for letting me know! It would be an interesting option indeed, just a little tricky to get right.

- Teddy