Home Technical Talk

Substance Painter 1.3.2 Texture Export Problem

maj86
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
maj86 polycounter lvl 5
I have been trying to export textures to UE4 and they come out very pixelated or not at all. I have opened some other substance painter files of mine and they export just fine.

The door has been unwrapped and textures work fine in UE4 with basic materials.

I have no idea what is going wrong and have been at this for about three hours.

Any and all help would be awesome.

Here is a link to the texture exports: http://imgur.com/a/tqGF4

Here is a link to the Substance Painter file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eg35wvf8vggl3c8/door2.spp?dl=0

Replies

• Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    :poly122: I have this same problem. They look A-ok at a distance, but is it normal for the exported textures from Allegorithmic apps to look that clear-cut pixelated when you get up close?

I'll look later if they answered this somewhere else and post back...
  • Son Kim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Son Kim triangle
    Have you guys tried other file format beside PNG?
  • Ben Milette
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Milette polycounter lvl 9
    Have you applied these textures in engine or in Marmoset? This just looks like the padding Substance uses to get rid of seams, within your UV islands the textures look as they are supposed to.
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Yeah, I'm talking about in engine. I'll post some screencaps tomorrow : ) As for other formats other than PNG, honestly no, haven't tried that yet. Is this common to occur with PNGs? Isn't it the recommended format?
  • maj86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maj86 polycounter lvl 5
    I have tried .jpeg, TARGA as well. Even when I put the textures into UE4 they look exactly like they do in the examples I posted.

What doesn't make sense is I can open other files and they render fine. It seems that it only happens when I create a new file.

I tried different rendering presets as well with no luck. If I change the render presets it doesn't even render a base color map and some other maps are just blank.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    So the maps don't display properly inside UE4 even ON your mesh ? I opened your project and everything seems fine, even exported. Since you created two texture sets that's normal you get some overlapping with the infinite padding.
  • maj86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maj86 polycounter lvl 5
    The textures only display correctly in Substance Painter.

I tried to export them again today and the maps are pixelated like before.

I re-install Substance Painter and same thing happens.
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    In the end, I'm not posting screencaps because I think my "problem" wasn't really an issue. My textures only got pixelated when I put my controller's face over them milimeters away, so it was natural my assets were getting pixelated when being looked at such a close range.

Sucks to hear the problem still persists maj86, if you find a solution, do tell what it is :S
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    What maj86 reported is not a problem, it's just the native padding. There is nothing wrong in it. Your pixelisation seems to be another issue instead.