Home Technical Talk

Nintendo's New Console "Switch"

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
littleclaude quad damage
Nintendo's New Console "Switch" 

And here we have it, now called "Switch"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hit me with everything you know.

"Nintendo President Satoru Iwata announced that Nintendo is working on a new “dedicated game platform” called the “NX,” in order to establish that Nintendo is not getting out of the gaming hardware business."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/03/17/what-is-nintendos-new-nx-platform-2/

nintendo1jpg

Replies

• mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hopefully the hybrid system we have been hearing about that is more or less a Nintendo portable system that works on TV's too.

I can see it being more or less the follow up to the 3DS (may or may not have two screens) and will have a tiny box you can sync to at the tv.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Am in 2 minds about the move to mobile for Nintendo. The old-school Nintendo fanboy within me is screaming "Oh hell no!"

On the flip side it would hopefully give them enough of a boost in sales to catch up with the progress of the PS4/XB1, make some more solid titles and restore Nintendo to its former glory. My only concern is we get a handful of rehashed mobile titles like Candy Crush but with Nintendo characters slapped on. Regardless, will be cool to see developments on the new console.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I can see it being more or less the follow up to the 3DS (may or may not have two screens) and will have a tiny box you can sync to at the tv.

I hope that's what it is, like a portable playstation TV or ouya. I always thought nintendo would fit in really well to that whole low-cost living room device market.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Torch wrote: »
    Am in 2 minds about the move to mobile for Nintendo. The old-school Nintendo fanboy within me is screaming "Oh hell no!"

On the flip side it would hopefully give them enough of a boost in sales to catch up with the progress of the PS4/XB1, make some more solid titles and restore Nintendo to its former glory. My only concern is we get a handful of rehashed mobile titles like Candy Crush but with Nintendo characters slapped on. Regardless, will be cool to see developments on the new console.

pokshuffle1.jpg

They're well on their way already. The problem is that nintendo is experimenting with it and they like what they see.

Reflects nicely with when they gave up the core consumers for the big crowds with the wii but later on realized that those didn't buy games. They're now having a hard time getting third party developers on board for the wiiu due to the core consumers having left them.

Will they risk their strong position in the portable if they shift too much towards free to play?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    While Nintendo messing around with mobile is interesting ... I am still dreaming of a day when their core games will be released on Steam, even is that means being one generation behind. I could totally see myself buying a Wiimote, a Nunchuck and a USB adapter to play a rock solid $9.99 version of Mario Galaxy on the PC.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Eld - Good points, I think a lot of fans are concerned mainly because how mobile games are delivered (some free to play, etc.) and may be worried about Nintendo games being dliuted. There's definitely a lot of conflicting opinions on this, some people are really against it and others think its the best thing to happen for the company in a long time. Personally I am still on the fence, keep going back and forth :D
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't mind a few Nin-IP casual games on my phone as long as they're not forcing me or keeps bugging me to spend money on gems/currency/whatever.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    The quote makes me think they'd make a beefy console with polygons and complex shaders oh my to prove their hardware skittles, and the article/discussion talks about mobile.

Oh boy I think I'm outta the loop when it comes to playing mobile games. Then again, my cellphone has a camera, texting, and that's about it.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Has anyone got any information on this? 4K sounds good but not sure if the market is ready for it.
    Looking forward to hear more about this at E3 I hope.
    http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/nintendo-nx-release-date-news-and-rumors-1289401 

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    4k Streaming video sounds good, now is the time to support that, even if most games run at 1080p/900p. I honestly don't think we'll see 4k games on consoles even with the XBone 2 or PS5. But 4k video and 4k support for picture in picture or with a streaming overlay sounds great to me. 
  • littleclaude
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Patcher is wrong at least 9 out of 10 times (and that's being nice).
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    They gave NX a release window on twitter... March 2017. Zelda game delayed till then, simultaneous release.

:| 
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    And they are adding no-notable christmas releases or any presence of the NX at E3 to the 60% less earnings they did this Fiscal Year...good going Nintendo. Why don't you reintroduce a mini DVD drive, cute design and even more gimmick to make sure your new device really has no chance. Iam sorry and i don't want to be mean spirited but if they want their (probably) 300-400 Buck new console to survive in the current market they should use the biggest gaming event of the year to maybe atleast show off a mock up of the console and some Devkit footage to show what it's about (and this time make sure it doesn't have a stupid name and people actually understand what it is). I get that they might have run into problems but still they better give the audience a reason to save their money and invest into nintendo months down the road (if the new console iteration comes out around christmas).
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
    Are they making a handheld?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Sounds like it's going to be similar to the Wii U where there is a hand held element, how it's going to be integrated is the question. From what little I've read, I'm expecting something like a 3ds type handheld that replace the Wii U tablet and a home console base station. 
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6

Would be nice if all the controllers were like that instead of 1-2 tablets per wii U

• Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    gotta admit I was looking forward to an E3 reveal, but maybe they're revising its specs based on the PS4 refresh.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Wouldn't be a bad idea. One of the reasons the WiiU failed was it used outdated hardware in a time when gamers were reeeally sick of old hardware. They need to be competitive in that area again.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Fuiosg said:
    gotta admit I was looking forward to an E3 reveal, but maybe they're revising its specs based on the PS4 refresh.
    It wouldn't surprise me. Wasn't there some claim that it would be more powerful than either of the current 'nextgens'?
  • littleclaude
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage

Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

NX will be powered by Nvidia's Tegra mobile processor.

• PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PattyWhacker polycounter lvl 8
    I hope Nintendo succeeds. 
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    "Nintendo recommends a 32GB cartridge, which is small when considering the size of many modern games."
    Im hoping this means they recommend 32GB as a minimum...
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    considering the specs from above i guess the games will be considerably small compared to modern games
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Well if they are similar to SSD cards, they cost $16 for 64GB, $35 for 128GB, $70 for 256GB. Assuming 3x markup, $5, $12, $23. I doubt devs are going to want to spend $23 on the media format, so I would expect games would be 64GB or less for most games. 
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Ubisoft CEO Thinks The Nintendo NX is "Fantastic"

Also nice little hints in the video from IGN on what the console will be when or if it comes out in March 2017, Hand held console, detachable controllers and a doc for TV play.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/09/22/nintendo-nx-fantastic-will-offer-different-experience-to-other-consoles-ubisoft-ceo
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
  • littleclaude
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Not playing this. (Goes back to playing Colecovision)
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    I don't know what they are thinking.  The mobile nature is of the device is going to ensure it has specs to similar tablet devices, without tablet functionality, so why did they make their own? Why not leverage the existing platforms, release controllers and an portal/store for their content?

I'll probably wind up getting one because I like Nintendo games, but I just don't see the point of Nintendo doing their own hardware if this is the direction they want to go.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I will buy it whenever Smash Bros comes out, to that end it was good to see a gamepad that has the right joystick below the buttons like the gamecube controller.
  • Swaggletooth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggletooth polycounter lvl 5
    pior said:
    While Nintendo messing around with mobile is interesting ... I am still dreaming of a day when their core games will be released on Steam, even is that means being one generation behind. I could totally see myself buying a Wiimote, a Nunchuck and a USB adapter to play a rock solid $9.99 version of Mario Galaxy on the PC.

Yeah this is what I'm waiting for too. Even if it's just their backcatalog to save hardware sales I'd be fine with that.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    pior said:
    Exactly! I would point out however that wii controllers are bluetooth, and can be paired with a windows PC without the need for USB.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Nintendo games will never come to Steam... they'd have to be in their grave for that to happen.

I'm excited for the device. The kind of statements I've been reading that it's just a nvidia Shield or tablet etc. don't align with reality, it's near xbox one performance supposedly. Going mobile like that with the open ended design, sharing controllers, motion controls etc. it seems like it could be big.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    I like this just because I hope they will abandon their 3Ds so the 3Ds games can come to the "home" console, I've always thought Nintendo should've ported their mobile games to their home console so that I can play it on a big screen.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I think its smart they are focusing on the mobile market. They cant compete anymore when it comes to home consoles. This seems more like a tablet than a console. 

Need more specs though. Need to know battery life. Latency issues with the controls. stuff like that. 

Not overly impressed with this, so far. Though, it is better than i expected...
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Fuiosg said:
    Nintendo games will never come to Steam... they'd have to be in their grave for that to happen.

I'm excited for the device. The kind of statements I've been reading that it's just a nvidia Shield or tablet etc. don't align with reality, it's near xbox one performance supposedly. Going mobile like that with the open ended design, sharing controllers, motion controls etc. it seems like it could be big.
    It's a tegra CPU. It's a mobile device in every sense of the word.

slipsius said:
    I think its smart they are focusing on the mobile market. They cant compete anymore when it comes to home consoles. This seems more like a tablet than a console. 

Need more specs though. Need to know battery life. Latency issues with the controls. stuff like that. 

Not overly impressed with this, so far. Though, it is better than i expected...

And when it comes to mobile, they are outflanked by android and iOS devices. I love Nintendo games but their hardware just seems like it's lost and has no direction.

Given the popularity of Nintendo emulators I hoped they would have seen that there is real demand for their software on other platforms.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Pretty exciting to see this kind of innovation in a console; though to be fair, Nintendo is hardly going after the same target market as the other consoles. I think that gives them freedom to experiment in ways that Microsoft and Sony can't. It's not always successful, but it's always interesting.

This one, however, feels like it could be a very good addition to the gaming world.
  • CJFerguson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJFerguson polycounter lvl 7
    To me this could be really cool if they
    1: made a drive to be better at supporting indie development
    and
    2: if there were some really big pushes to make this very multiplayer friendly. Think Pokemon when you used to use link cables. Something that capitalizes on not just split screen multiplayer, but the unique fun that is playing in the same room with someone without them being able to share your screen.

I hope the games catalog is dope. I want to get one for me and my daughter.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    I hope the games catalog is dope.
    Yeah, its 100% all down to the "Game Catalog". If they get it right I think people are going to be drawn to this console like never before. They need to get Zelda, Metroid, Kerby out on release followed by Donkey Kong, StarFox, Mario Platform and Karting and an online library of new IP and ported games during there first year and they will be well on there way.

I hear Zelda is a release game. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI--V0jn6BM
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What the trailer doesn't really explain is that one probably cannot play any "big" games (like the Mario, Zelda and Skyrim shown in the trailer) at full quality when being away from the base. Kind of misleading ...

Yet even though I cannot get myself to be excited about any console hardware these days since everything seems redundant by now ... I still can't wait to see the new Mario.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I dunno Pior. They showed them playing Zelda, while mobile, in the trailer.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah but that's probably not the full spec game at TV quality. If it was ... the base station would just be a wire box. And it could be argued that the backyard scene showing Zelda being played remotely could be a case when the tablet is still within streaming range of the base. 

Now I am not saying that this is necessarily a bad design/concept - it's quirky and gimmicky in a fun way. It's Just a shame that the trailer is not being fully straightforward about it.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    They showed a bunch of games mobile, dual screen Mario Kart in the van... framerate looked smooth.

The screen is 720p and 6.5", so its not like high quality settings will be hard to do or very noticeable. Battery life may be an issue.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Yeah, it seems like the screen really "is" the system, so my biggest concern would be the battery life.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of course this is just speculation but ... probably not. The base is probably the main console, able to stream gameplay to the tablet within a certain range. Passed that, the tablet takes over and delivers portable specced games + acts as a media player.

If the tablet was the full console, they would have shown a scene with someone plugging it straight to a TV with a single cable. Remember to remain skeptical guys :)

(and if not ... then it would be cause for concern performance-wise ...)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Yup, agreed with Joopson. It seems like the screen/controller IS the system. The stand is just that. A stand, and probably a charging port. Otherwise how could you play on a plane? 

Seems like it's just a tablet that has controllers attached to the side. 
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I really doubt it's streaming. The tablet is basically the system, as evidenced by the cartridges going into it. There's probably two power profiles, one for mobile and one for docked, where you get a higher clock speed with ventilation/cooling when plugged in. So it's a hybrid, the way I see it.
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    GIMMICK-LESS METROID INCOMING