Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
MrPie polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys, it's that time again where i need to start job hunting and i was wondering if some of you fine people could crit my portfolio? I'm in the process of adding some more images of my latest environment scene. I'm currently looking for a job as a prop/environment artist so any advice on which direction i should take would mean a lot!

Link to my portfolio is in my signature, thanks in advance!

EDIT: Link www.AnsibNabi.co.uk

Replies

• TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    We can't see your signature on your post btw, maybe link it in your first post for us lazy people to click on :).

First thing that stood out to me was not being able to get a larger HD image of a piece when I click on the thumbnails. This is really important, artists like huge pictures.

Another one would be your thumbnail borders. They really bother me since they're not a certain width all around. If you can space things to be more uniform it would help your folio site look more professional.

You've got some really nice work and the folio just needs tweaking here and there to do them justice.
  • MrPie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrPie polycounter lvl 5
    Hmph Strange. Added a link on the OP.

The large image thing, i was wondering about this yesterday but i assumed that pretty much all artists are tech savy and could right click and view original image but i'll now make each link clickable.

Thanks for pointing out the green border, i'm guessing it changes it's size at the top due to the text, i'll get that sorted.

Thanks again man!
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Signatures have never showed up for me and I have no idea why.

I would put the titles at the top rather than the far top left.
  • Temppe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Temppe polycounter lvl 12
    Hey dude, what jumped out at me immediately was the polygons on the post apoc vehicle.
    Overall the level of detail is low (no normal map) but then the wheels and tires are REALLY dense!

Another observation on the knife is that there are loops going around the straight part of the blade that don't contribute to the silhouette.
    Also, I wouln't model in the little serrations on the back of the blade.

By the way I'm not a professional or anything! These are just my first thoughts on seeing your work.
  • MrPie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrPie polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks guys,

Robeomega - Good idea, i'll look at shifting it in the middle, should be easy.

Temppe - Thanks for the crit. I'm aware of the wheels being silly high polygon wise. It'll be one of the projects to be replaced shortly! It was made when i was still in education. Regardless of professional or not, it's always nice to get a second pair of eyes ;)
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    I know you said you were going to phase it out but you should really switch out the thumbnail for the post-apocalyptic vehicle. The problem with it (the thumbnail) right now is that it looks like you abandoned the project halfway through as it looks untextured. I know that's not the case, but that is what it looks like at first glance.

Try to use less empty space in your shots and if you want to use a certain aspect ratio for all images either fill them up with more zoomed in versions or multiple shots of the same model. The knife and sword are the biggest offenders when it comes to this.

Only upload finished work as you otherwise look like you're a person who don't finish your stuff. The Borderlands 2 prop is what I'm pointing at here. The model isn't finished, but even if you were to bake it down it wouldn't look great as the edges are way too tight. I haven't played Borderlands 2 (only the first one) but I would've expected some bigger and bolder shapes with nice and big bevels and some more distinct coloring. I would remove it as soon as possible as it is IMO the worst piece as it unfinished.

Lastly you also need to add some technical details like where you've rendered your work, polycounts and resolutions.
  • MrPie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrPie polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks man, appreciate the detailed feedback, i'll switch out the image for the vehicle.

The borderlands prop is a small hard modelling task i did, i already have done the low poly bake (it's on my sketchbook) will just need to finish with the texturing. I'm aiming for environments in the long run so hopefully that's all my portfolio will consist of. Environments and props ;)

Appreciate all the help everyone has given me, it's why polycount is such a great place to learn and improve :P#

Edit: Just putting this here, would including a project i worked on with other artists/designers/programmers help at all? Here's a link to it;

http://www.ansibnabi.co.uk/miscreation.html
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    At the top left you should replace the "Games artist" with "environment artist", if that is what you want to become as stated by your "About me". But Id say as stated before, change the thumbnail for the vehicle, It looks unfinished with only a wireframe shot. I would also say that you should get another environment piece for your portfolio, as your props are great! Good luck man!
  • CapoeristaKelley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CapoeristaKelley polycounter lvl 2
    The thing that stood out for me was the quality of the 360 turnaround videos. 720p is good but 1080p is better. Let them really see the tiny details of your work in those turnarounds so that they can appreciate your work as well as review and critique it. Good Models though, keep up the good work and good luck with your next job.