Home General Discussion

Realistically rendered MMD animation

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Vergil polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys. This is a rendered animation of a MMD (Miku Miku Dance) motion with custom anime characters. It is rendered with Corona Renderer 1.0. There are other videos online of exactly the same dance that are directly rendered in MMD.
We've corrected the MMD animation a bit to avoid floating characters.
The environment was ripped from the game Memento Mori. We found the environment as a XNALara file.
Just to be clear, all the work that we've done is: bring everything together in one scene, correct the animation of the dancers, animate the camera, simulate the fire, set the lighting and render everything.
Tell us what you think about it by leaving a comment on YouTube. Thanks!
Don't hesitate to ask your questions.

Click the picture below to watch the video
iBWdUv4AqkAVi.jpg

Replies

• Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    That's just creepy.
  • DEElekgolo
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    pretty fun to watch, there's something odd about the faces though. Sort of like they're wearing a full facemask versus being a part of them. It might have to do with either the way their model is being shaded or how their facial expressions/facial animations are very limited in conjunction to the very animated dancing bodies. e.g. same expression until the end, and the eyes giving off a blank stare.

I usually get this feeling when I watch edited motion cap animations in video games, as usually the facial animations never match the same style of motion as the body animations created directly from a real-person/two conflicting styles or levels of animation sort of suspending the immersion.

It's kind of like having Bugs Bunny walking around like a real-person. That is to say he'd look more like an awkward mascot even though it technically would be more realistic, as it wouldn't have the exaggerated squishes and squashes/crazy stylized motion that fits within the "world" and aesthetic of loony toons.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Yup, MMD is totally not made to do breaking dance, they are literally floating, gravity is a mess. IT just doesn't look really good, It's not the render part, but all the bad decision that make it bad, with better character, better scene, better light and facial animation it would have look nice :/ MMD doesn't look super good to begin with anyway except if you put a shitload of post-effect.

Maybe the choice of character doesn't help but no school girl with mini skirt would dance like that, not even mirai. and kristina's cardigan is badly rig it float, just like yoko's hair. A character like this, with short hair, fit cloth would have look 10x time better to do break dance, http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/126/6/c/countined_mmd_models_request_rom_and_ram_hdd_mode_by_kole2323-d4yrgwu.png

Also the light is nice but not appropriate, you can't see half of their dance.

Yes, You can do nice facial stuff [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn_RtiG3QyI[/ame].
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    Yelp, I'm officially old. While I was watching the above video, my son ran into my office singing the lyrics and asked how I knew about that song. :)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Jonathan - Exceeder is a 10 years old track ! Unless you're talking about the other vid ? In that case I am with you, and totally clueless about it too poly114.gif
  • Vergil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vergil polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you for the feedback guys. Yes the animations are odd indeed. But right at the moment I'm more interested in making the lighting good. Could you give me a nice advice how you would lit the scene? Or just what I need to add or remove to make the lighting better. I will not rerender everything, but I want to learn. :)
    Odow, what do you mean by 'you can't see half of their dance'? Is it to dark?
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Odow wrote: »
    Yup, MMD is totally not made to do breaking dance, they are literally floating, gravity is a mess. IT just doesn't look really good, It's not the render part, but all the bad decision that make it bad, with better character, better scene, better light and facial animation it would have look nice :/ MMD doesn't look super good to begin with anyway except if you put a shitload of post-effect.

Maybe the choice of character doesn't help but no school girl with mini skirt would dance like that, not even mirai. and kristina's cardigan is badly rig it float, just like yoko's hair. A character like this, with short hair, fit cloth would have look 10x time better to do break dance, http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/126/6/c/countined_mmd_models_request_rom_and_ram_hdd_mode_by_kole2323-d4yrgwu.png

Also the light is nice but not appropriate, you can't see half of their dance.

Yes, You can do nice facial stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn_RtiG3QyI.

Wow that just rocked ! How did I missed that ? Thanks for sharing :D
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vergil wrote: »
    Thank you for the feedback guys. Yes the animations are odd indeed. But right at the moment I'm more interested in making the lighting good. Could you give me a nice advice how you would lit the scene? Or just what I need to add or remove to make the lighting better. I will not rerender everything, but I want to learn. :)
    Odow, what do you mean by 'you can't see half of their dance'? Is it to dark?

Take a look at any anime out there and compare it to your render. even when things are dark, scenes are overall pretty bright, or contain bright elements or characters as contrast. I feel like someone is about to get mugged, but I didn't watch the whole video.

Self shadowing should be kept fairly minimal, the first thing that strikes me about your image is how much it confuses the scene. Makes the characters harder to read. Similarly, the skin tones seem sickly dark for anime.
  • hikaru_ai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is nice to see some different MMD renders, almost all i've seen are shadeless and life-less devianart generic models
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    My issues with this are:

You used 3 unrelated non-vocaloid characters

Music that isn't likely to appeal to the target audience: people watching MMD animations usually expect vocaloid tracks, not western pop music.

Along that vein, break dancing isn't really appropriate, both for the expected audience and the software. The animation quality breaks down (no pun intended) pretty badly as a result.

What are they even doing in that setting? Seems like a dangerous location for 3 teenage girls in the night.

Scale is off. Animu girls are usually asian, and that means small. Like under 5 foot. They feel huge.

The models are clearly not intended to be used in a realistic setting. The background is noisy while their materials are extremely simple. They are stylised, and look extremely out of place as you've rendered them. I would suggest either studying this video or investing in less simple character. For example, Tda Miku Append (Tda式初音ミク・アペンド) has more going on, but even this would contrast quite heavily in your setting.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    If it's realism you're after, you have to do something about that skin, it looks like plastic.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it's realism you're after, you have to do something about that skin, it looks like plastic.

like... real plastic???? :D
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    now I know where that song came from in Spore Galactic Adventures /mind blown
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm9RYfFgfFM[/ame]