Home Technical Talk

Maya question about Sub Div surfaces..

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
I'm learning Maya at the moment, so bear with me...

When I hit the 3 key, it turns my polygons into sub division surfaces; right?

The reason why I'm asking is, after I hit the 3 key, I went to modify and tried to convert the sub division surfaces to polygons, it said that it couldn't do that...

Kind of confused here...

And I understand hitting 1 will bring back to the base polygon model, but I want the sub div model to turn to poly's and keep the smooth edges...

Replies

• peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    I don't have Maya loaded so bare with me.

"When I hit the 3 key, it turns my polygons into sub division surfaces; right?"

Absolutely not, its stay a polygon no matter what button you press [1], [2], [3] ... only "convert to" will convert polygon to subdivision or NURBS.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    If you want to subdivide your model so it looks like when press 3 but with more actual polygons, with 3 "on" go to - convert - smoothmesh preview to polygons.

You can edit the smoothmesh preview per object. Go to the shape node of the mesh, under Smooth Mesh, with 3 on, you can change the Preview Division Levels, default is 2, which means 1 quad, will become 8 quads. Change this up or down then again convert - smooth mesh preview to polygons to get actual polys you can work with.
  • MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, thanks for the replies.

Clark, that's exactly what I was looking for, thanks.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    yes well answered Clark, i must agree.