Home Technical Talk

Help! : General managing of subdivisions in Zbrush

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
capone polycounter lvl 18
So I was working on this mask and was adding the stitching but it was pixelated. The ONLY division it would look ok was division 5 which brings the mask at 12million+ ActivePoints. I really shouldn't be needing high numbers, my mesh was clean and I had used zremesher/claypolish going into this.

I'm really curious what other people would do with this dilemma? I'm thinking of trying to make a duplicate, zremesh and divide and then try and project the old one onto the new one.

GKH7aZ0.png

Replies

• CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    There's no way that should require 12 mil polys. Can we see your lowest SubD level topology?
  • WaYWO
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    I would make all things at high dynamesh then duplicate, and zremesh + projection, but as CheeseOnToast said there is no magic it should be ultra dense mesh!
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    PVIYSYC.jpg

So yes, clearly my lowest division at 48K was way too high. So I deleted the stitches layer, dynameshed it (set to 824 resolution) , duplicated, zremeshed it and projected on every one of the 5 divisions.

F6r4s7M.jpg

Much better numbers now. At higest division I put the stitches back in with an alpha brush, it's ok but if you zoom in it becomes pixelated. I think this might be because of my alpha, perhaps it's too small at 443x438 pixels at 72 Resolution (dpi)? I opened up an alpha from my zbrush install folders and it was 438 x 375 at 200 resolution. Perhaps I should actually try insert mesh brush?

Confused :S

Thanks for the support!
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 18
    The first thing i'd do would be to go in geometry and delete the highest subdivision (all) and keep to lowest and start from scratch.
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    What? Why would you suggest that? I have a good setup now.