Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New New York: The Suburban Dream

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
Z1w3Htk.png

ZRX6xhEl.jpg

I have been thinking about this idea for a very long time. After I had done the fishing cannon I was more encouraged to begin this project. I have often said that there is in flux and popularity in hand painted textures especially in a 'WoW' and fantasy style which led me to pursue an interest in trying to do more handpainted scifi in an attempt to stand out from the crowd and the majority.

Xx0yrZel.jpg

-Create and master handpainted scifi textures for an environment diorama depicting a New York Suburbia in the far distant future.

-Find the best and sufficient way of working with utilizing the best tools and methods.

-Learn and master Unreal Engine 4.

So as the last objective mentioned this will be my first project this year that I will be incorporating UE4. I've had a great time working with Marmoset Toolbag 2 but I think its time to push myself further. I can still use MT2 when I'm testing assets tough.

To save time I will also avoid as much traditional hardsurfacing and only use it on certain parts of the environment that I'd like to show off .

ne00bBSl.jpg

lCuia0O.jpg

So my reference includes obviously a lot of New York suburbia, how the streets feel and look, West Village in particular. I also looked a lot into the following of which will be very influential through out this project:-

Wildstar
Back to the Future 2
Overwatch
Futurama
Ratchet and Clank

Also I have created a pin board full of images and also videos.

StmXLDzl.jpg

What I'll have by the end is a cut out diorama of New New York Suburbia with apartment block with all sorts of scifi craziness.
There will be a strong emphasis on colour but also avoiding creating too much noise.
This maybe hard to avoid but I must remind myself about how less can be more and its not about how complicated a scene is that makes it better than something else.

This is going to be a hard project but its going to be a really exciting one and one I hope I can stay with.

PleFdCfl.jpg

-Make blockout with all the correct sizes and proportions
-Transfer blockout from 3ds max to UE4
-Concept key parts, the eye candy.
-Create an asset list based off blockout
-Model, Unwrap and texture road and pavement and implement it into UE4
I intend to have this all done by the end of this weekend (8.3)

C2cJAN8l.jpg

I dont want this to be a long project. If I can get it all done by the latest the end of May I'll be happy.

I know there is no concepts here yet but if you have any feedback or anything to add then don't hesitate!

Replies

• Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    sweet reference board. Where's the japanese neon sign concept in the middle from specifically?
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Gannon, its a concept from Wildstar :)
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this what I have so far...

-Make blockout with all the correct sizes and proportions-DONE
    -Transfer blockout from 3ds max to UE4-DONE
    -Concept key parts, the eye candy.
    -Create an asset list based off blockout-DONE
    -Model, Unwrap and texture road and pavement and implement it into UE4-DONE

cgVyZxd.jpg

Getting stuff into ue4 was relatively easy and now its just the process of replacing the blockout meshes with the new meshes.

I didn't get round to concepting, but I will need too once i get to the most interesting and important assets.

Asset list:
    Apartment-
    windows #1
    window #2
    pipe balcony
    door
    door border
    stairs
    matt
    plant pots
    Lamp post
    satellite
    telescope
    tree
    pipe
    tentacle
    pavement
    road
    signs
    wires
    ground pipes

EXTRAS:
    Robot trashcan sweeper

PleFdCfl.jpg
    -finish pavement texture
    -finish pavement asset
    -make road

The blockout is only that, I plan to go completely crazy with shapes and detail but still being sensible and not to make the small space so noisey.
    Any crit so far would be greatly appreciated.