Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Illidan female version

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
AgelosAp polycounter
Started my next character for improvement/portfolio purposes.

1623368.jpg
sorry but I couldn't find the artist behind this if anyone knows I 'll gladly give credit of course.

So it 's a female version of Illidan (I 'll only do that one) which I found very exciting and has all
these cool spikes and demonic stuff the normal Illidan has but with a female sexy twist as well :P

Here is my progress currently in day 5 of sculpting, and will probably sneak in the base mesh for the glaives today too.

All comments and critique very welcome!
uhsl02a.jpg
JW8UKqw.jpg

Replies

• Grubber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grubber polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work! Hope to see more soon :)
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Looks really nice, I might try to create that Lich King one day :)

Think about giving some muscle structure to the point where wings connect with body. Like that.

Biceps is too long I think.

Hope to see something more soon :)
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    @Grubber: thanks, you will!
    @Jakub: thanks a bunch for that ref, will probably do exactly that!
    Got a comment for the bicep from a friend too, so it's pretty sure that something is wrong will reapply measurements.
  • GhostChili
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking excellent so far. Although I focused a little on the lower part of this femme fatale and it looks like she could benefit from more tapered hooves towards the upper hind joint. It also seems the foot hoof itself in the concept seems more elongated/exaggerated.

Anyway, keep goin! Nice work :)
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Looking great. Just one thing bugging me, the feet are actually missing a joint. What would equate to the ball of her foot just kind of goes right into her toes.

This example is for deer, not... whatever one would consider Illidan, but this is a good example:
    plantigrade_zps85799017.jpg
    :thumbup:
  • Kel-Shaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    great start dude
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    @GhostChili&BagelHero: Thanks for the feedback I added the joint and generally changed the proportions on that area, although due to the little armor thingies now it 's not so visible.
    @Kel-Shaded: Thanks man! :D

Alright, so here 's an update, done work all around really, only thing still missing is the wing skin so will start with that today.
    The hair will be done with alpha planes so I didn't give much attention to the base.
    Thanks again for any feedback!
    SMze2wF.jpg
    LynwFQX.jpg
  • THendersonVFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THendersonVFX polycounter lvl 6
    Shoulders could use just a liiiittle bit more size and definition. They are slightly smaller to the rest of her arms in terms of proportion. Another layer or two of size, and they should look good. Add a bit more on the posterior delt as well. Illidan's glaives are massive, and shoulders take care of moving the arm in every direction. In your front views, the shoulders look almost flat against the upper arm. Even your concept has a bit more bulk in the shoulders, though it's hard to notice against the wings.

My last suggestion is the tattoos. This is just personal opinion, but I think they would look better "sunk in" to the skin instead of raised up. Unless their sculpting is just for landmark purposes to show where they will be painted, then pay me no mind :P

Great work overall, I look forward to seeing this all done
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    I agree with everything that THendersonVFX has to say :)

But these warglaives, god, they're gorgeous! May I ask how you made them ? Was it just zbrush or something else ?
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    @THendersonVFX: Much thanks for the pointers, gonna agree with you for the shoulders I generally was pushing for more muscle, but was afraid of her losing sexiness, so will do. The tattoos are kinda placeholders as you said don't know if I will keep any depth to them or just redo it in substance painter later.

@Jakub: Thank you! Yeah the warglaives are mostly zbrush, did the blade basemesh in max with traditional poly modeling as I 'm not too comfortable with hard surface in zb.
  • THendersonVFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is fitness model Jessie Hilgenberg. Even though she has a slim figure, she still has shoulder muscles with good definition that don't look to large for her frame.

jessie_hilgenberg_profile2.jpg

Always try to keep silhouette in mind when sculpting form. Sometimes it helps to switch the shader to black, or black with that rim light outline, then rotate around and take screen grabs of the silhouette at various angles.
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Hey all,
    been a long since I updated this, but I got a full-time job(not related to 3D) and didn't have much time.
    I hope I 'll be able to complete this even at a slower pace now.

So here goes the low poly it's around 50k tris for everything and I haven't done hair&fur yet.
    Right now there are only solid colors per object and normals & AO.

Also I 'm posting an image of the warglaive bake which looks pretty horrendous, if anyone has any ideas what should I do I 'll gladly hear it!
    oyi96dz.jpg
    tDbE6JO.jpg
  • THendersonVFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The AO on the wings makes the membranes look like crumpled paper. I'd just try and find more reference on thin membrane wings and stretchy fabric to get a more concrete idea for the stretching and folds. The original art is off in it's reference of that style of wing as well, so that may have contributed too. Keep in mind that membrane wings are very thin skin stretched between the wing bones. When relaxed, it will fold up similar to fabric curtains, and when extended they will be stretched very tight to catch and hold the air. Even though Illidan has demonic power, which may aid him/her in flying even with torn wings, the anatomy and structure of the wings will still hold true.

The Warglaive does look muddy. The nicks and scratches look good, but the center emblem looks gooey. My suggested workaround may be a bit tedious, but I recommend modeling out the stars, gems and the ridges surrounding the gems in a 3d package. Then import those into zbrush and insert the meshes into the emblem. This will give you good consistent hard edge control. I think the glossy material you have applied to it in that render may be adding to the odd bake as well.
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    @ THendersonVFX: Thanks man, I redid the wings (well basically the first piece mostly) they were pretty terrible, hope they make more sense now!

So here is another update, really the first I have for texturing as the previous was the very start.
    I can't say I 'm very happy with how it's turning out, I had a better feeling for it at the sculpting stage, maybe it dragged for a little too long and I can't see it clearly anymore.
    Next I 'll give some more attention to her hair.

Feedback is welcome and appreciated.

8u8qzOM.jpg8ipqre5.jpg
  • Tetranome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tetranome polycounter lvl 6
    I think the latest textured version is looking really nice :)
    - The wings could be a bit more rough, i'd argue they're too shiny at the moment.
    - Revisit the colors of the warpcleft. The serrated edges are a lighter grey/silver metal, and the green glow is more tight and bright. Animated materials would really help bring it to life here - and with the skin designs.

Overall it's coming along nicely. Really dig the work you did on the skin and face, they're great! The leathers look awesome too.
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    @Tetranome: Thank you, to be honest I don't know how I would make an animated material in marmoset, any suggestions?

A more polished update this time, still wanna edit her hair and possibly add some more holes to her wings.

6yg4cnK.jpg
    mf0rkli.jpg
  • Berbull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really nice. Great job. :)
    You are right that the hair need some work, they look kind of stiff.
    Also the blades although they look great on their own, they don't match the style of the model.
  • Rawbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rawbert polycounter lvl 5
    is it just me or did the face got more blobby compated to the previous post?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    something to bear in mind if you ever try making wings like these again:
    bat_bird.gif

leathery/bat wings should basically be treated like an arm with a hand and fingers. where yours kinda has 3 fingers joining onto the side of a fourth, all four fingers should really be connected to a kind of vestigial hand/wrist structure.
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    @Berbull: Thank you, yeah I planned on doing some work on the blades as well, hope it looks closer after that.
    @Rawbert: I can see what you mean, I don't think I changed anything on the model so it's probably due to the glow and lighting. Will adjust.
    @almighty_gir: The concept is pretty weird on that spot too and I got carried away and didn't look at any ref for the joints. Thanks for pointing it out.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    looks good.

a few things though:
    -boobs look like they're glowing. I know the metal bra thing is meant to glow but it kinda seems like boobs have self illumination going on as well

-skin looks very 'polypainty' and feels slightly like plastic due to high glossiness
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    @Blaisoid: Thanks, I can't see the glowy boobies, but yeah the skin sure could use some more complexity if that is what you mean.

Thanks everyone for your input I 'll probably stop at this point as I feel pretty worn out on this one, got in some last tweaks based on your comments and here are the finals:

Marmoset Viewer on Artstation

CziWItA.jpg
    b7SXFOR.jpg
  • q40753416