Home General Discussion

RIP Maxis, 1987-2015

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
Maxis finally lost that final game of rock-paper-scissors with the Grim Reaper after trying to repair a busted computer.

I know it isn't still the Maxis of Sim City 2000, SimCopter, SimEarth, and The Sims, but... still. Should have had a better end than this. Sad conclusion to a cornerstone of our industry's history.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/4/8149791/ea-closes-maxis-simcity-the-sims

Replies

• Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    I heart was broken when they blew it with Sim City (2013).

Especially since Maxis was one of my favorite game studios for a long time. Even long after they were bought by EA. I have put hundreds of hours into Sim City 4 and I am still waiting for a true successor.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah Maxis had 2 giant flops, so I saw it coming, SimCity and Spore were both very disappointing. I wonder if Sims is the only game that will live on from them.
  • alonzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alonzo polycounter lvl 11
    I was hoping for a SimTower for iOS release. My favorite game back then.
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    I felt an urge to post a gif of sims gettings trapped to death in a burning kitchen, but i figured it would be highly in-approariate.

Thanks for all the great games Maxis! You were a huge part of my childhood.
    Simcity2000 is still one of the best games ever made.
  • MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    Sad to hear. They had a good run.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    MeshPotato wrote: »
    I felt an urge to post a gif of sims gettings trapped to death in a burning kitchen, but i figured it would be hihgly in-approariate.

Christ. Now I have to clean coffee off my monitor. Thanks.
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Thanks obEAma.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    SimCity, SimCopter, SimAnt, The Sims, Sim this-and-that. Thanks for the good times, Maxis :/
  • SpaceRogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    Ouch ... well that goes right where it hurts.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    think that for a time between 2003-5 they held the record for the most sold videogame-franchise.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    After the last Sims and Simcity saw this coming a miles away. Sorry to anyone who lost jobs. DAmn I loved classic maxis titles, h
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Did anyone play the new Sim City?..it looked great...I kind of lost interest in it when they had the internet always on fiasco
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    low odor wrote: »
    Did anyone play the new Sim City?..it looked great...I kind of lost interest in it when they had the internet always on fiasco

I did for a bit, it looked good gameplay was ok but it was very limited in scope and scale and could only build in a small box. Plus it had some major issues with launch since it required an always on connection even for single player and the servers were a mess.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    From the article, it seems like they're only closing a single Maxis studio branch, but still continuing work on their games in other branches. It even mentioned that many of the employees of that branch will simply be relocating.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    low odor wrote: »

I think I put a few hundred hours into it along with the future cities expansion. I also got to the galactic center with at least 2 species in spore. RIP in my favorite game studio.
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Used to spend hours with SimCity2000. Sad.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    From the article, it seems like they're only closing a single Maxis studio branch, but still continuing work on their games in other branches. It even mentioned that many of the employees of that branch will simply be relocating.

My understanding is this was the "original". Some of the posts from former staff in various places also suggest the layoffs are a lot wider than the press release admits, and not too many people got lateral transfers.

Kind of like when they shut Flight Sim down and said they were retaining part of the team to continue supporting the business license version for defense / instruction... out of more than 200 people, that was like 4 guys.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    My issue with SimCity was that it was small, the AI was pretty dumb, traffic was a bigger issue than it should be because the dumb AI would always try going to the closest job or house, the first 15 minutes of a city was fun, but after that you always ran into the same issues. It was artificially limiting in a lot of ways, and the road tools required a lot of effort to do bridges, overlaps, or anything cool. On top of that the month of server issues, deception, and lack of late game, I asked for a refund and had to do a charge back.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Spore was the beginning of the end in my eyes, such great potential, but just didnt get the love it needed to blossom into the project it could have been. Nonetheless, had a great community and was a decently fun game. Spore 2, or the dark whatever expansion I think it was, was a disaster IMO (not sure if a Maxis product).

Agreed that it is sad to see them go, but I do also agree I wasn't overly surprised. Thoughts go out to those who are displaced from work because of this. Sucks to hear. Hopefully it is just the beginning of a new chapter for those though, could be quite exciting after 12yrs.
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    I would've bought the hell out of a Sim city 4 clone done in 3d.

Also charging for mods... lol.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I dont understand what all the hate for Spore was about. I really enjoyed that game.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Spore was over hyped and didn't deliver on it's promises. By itself it wasn't a bad game, but the people that were interested in it as a evolution sim were very disappointed.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I actually really really want a Spore 2. Honestly the only thing that game really needed was a way to tie in the space stage with all of the previous stages, IE actually being able to beam down and interact with the planet (I don't count that blue terrible hologram as interaction, and while I loved making stuff in Galactic Adventures it was really based on short stories and not interacting with creatures simulated on a random world)

It would of been great if you were able to see the civilizations actually fight with each other in a mini-simulation and the creatures behave with each other. (IE tracking the outcome of a simulation and being able to influence it, I'm pretty sure the outcomes were "faked" in the space stage) Also, having the civilizations react to the player's space ship like it did in Will Wright's old spore demo would of been awesome.

Basically Spore 2 equaling more time and polish on the concepts of Spore 1 and implementing the stuff they weren't able to get into the final game would be awesomesauce for me.

Alas I have the feeling that they'll never develop a Spore 2 and only work on the Sims series.

RIP Maxis HQ, loved your work :( . Here's hoping you all land on your feet!
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    Grimwolf wrote: »

Yeah, this is correct. Maxis Emeryville was shut down but Maxis @ EA's HQ in Redwood City is still here and we're working solid. Still, it's always a blow when any part of the industry gets hit with layoffs/closures.