Home Marmoset

Marmoset Viewer IS OUT!

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    th00mmas wrote: »
    Well it does work when it's running android 5 :) Thanks for the information! will update to android 5 then. Thanks for the awesome viewer!

Just updated my S4 to Android 5 and lights work for me too. Yay!
  • th00mmas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    th00mmas polycounter lvl 5
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Just updated my S4 to Android 5 and lights work for me too. Yay!

Haha, I also updated my S4 to android 5 :) thanks for the help!
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Tried this out on my Nexus 5 and was very impressed. Though, the resolution seemed to be quartered (in fullscreen mode) and the shadows were lower res than I think my phone could handle, it looked very close to full desktop marmoset on a 2 year old phone.

Excellent work. Can't wait for Polycount embedding.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad to hear it! Yeah I think we generally run at 1/4th res on mobile, because mobile devices typically have super high DPI/high resolution displays relative to the power of their GPUs.
  • zXe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zXe polycounter lvl 3
    Tobbo wrote: »
    Is there a way to get the Marmoset viewer logo to appear on the thumbnail at Artstation? I've seen several with the logo and some without.

Thanks!

Edit: I think I'll just Photoshop it in and use a custom thumbnail.

Anyone? Just curious because I've looked at quite a few other artists models that have been uploaded with marmoset viewer and they all have the logo on the preview image but mine doesn't either like Tobbo.

Also a suggestion which has probably already been mentioned, but it would be nice to have ambient occlusion to work.

Cheers
  • sleepygiraffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sleepygiraffe polycounter lvl 4
    Is there a tutorial floating around for embedding this into Squarespace?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zXe wrote: »
    Anyone? Just curious because I've looked at quite a few other artists models that have been uploaded with marmoset viewer and they all have the logo on the preview image but mine doesn't either like Tobbo.

Also a suggestion which has probably already been mentioned, but it would be nice to have ambient occlusion to work.

Cheers

People have been adding the logo to their thumbnails, a few have posted PSDs in the Marmoset Viewer FaceBook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/marmosetviewer/

AO maps should work no in the public release. Screen space AO is not something we support at this time due to performance and computability on mobile, though we may consider adding it later as a PC only feature.
    Is there a tutorial floating around for embedding this into Squarespace?

Not yet, we're looking into it but don't have any specific solution at this time.
  • ThreeDCG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here I made one with the Monkey added, Enjoy. Its a 1080x1080 PNG with transparent top.
  • Lt_Commander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    Marmoset viewer does great for high-rez models with large textures and I am thoroughly impressed by how it handles demanding portfolio assets, but it positively mulched a low-rez model I was working on.

This is on 'unreasonable' texture quality, compared to the toolbag, where I manually disabled filtering and AF. Obviously, when your textures and submaps combined total 100kb, compression only serves to severely degrade the quality of the texture.

screenshot007.jpg
    shot1.PNG

screenshot006.jpg
    shot3.PNG

Most of my upcoming portfolio work is low-rez in nature, and this is kind of a show stopper for me using the viewer for it. :(
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, it looks like the biggest issue here is texture filtering rather than compression, I've added texture filtering settings for the Viewer to our suggestion list, thanks for the feedback!
  • Lt_Commander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, it looks like the biggest issue here is texture filtering rather than compression, I've added texture filtering settings for the Viewer to our suggestion list, thanks for the feedback!

Thanks! I look forward to the next update; the viewer is such a nifty extension to the toolbag.
  • pachermann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey EarthQuake I love your viewer!,

I miss use Marmoset already as production render for some product visualisations and its so awesome.

Could I wish some features?

What would be most exciting:
    - set a transparent background for working in z-index in DOM. (see trough <canvas> aka background:transparent; )
    - choose non compressed version for tangentspace map only, for my spec. case I don't care if its loading some more secs because I do it anyway after DOM ready event.
    - if display:none; the UI, I'm loosing also the touch controls ;)
    - access API threejs like (i know its crazy)

Anyway I prefer Marmoset viewer before using Scetchfab because Marmoset is great package for my product renders.
    - Your viewer seems to be ultra fast and cross compatible.
    - and of course I can host them myself and solve many licence problems I would have on Scetchfab servers.

Can I ask this, is the viewer using threejs behind the scenes or did u genius self develop this webgl exporter?

anyway I'm a big fan of the monkey App ;D

p.s: i would even pay for a update to use the viewer on the web for things like advertising an so on.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pachermann wrote: »
    Hey EarthQuake I love your viewer!,

I miss use Marmoset already as production render for some product visualisations and its so awesome.

Could I wish some features?

What would be most exciting:
    - set a transparent background for working in z-index in DOM. (see trough <canvas> aka background:transparent; )
    - choose non compressed version for tangentspace map only, for my spec. case I don't care if its loading some more secs because I do it anyway after DOM ready event.
    - if display:none; the UI, I'm loosing also the touch controls ;)
    - access API threejs like (i know its crazy)

Anyway I prefer Marmoset viewer before using Scetchfab because Marmoset is great package for my product renders.
    - Your viewer seems to be ultra fast and cross compatible.
    - and of course I can host them myself and solve many licence problems I would have on Scetchfab servers.

Can I ask this, is the viewer using threejs behind the scenes or did u genius self develop this webgl exporter?

anyway I'm a big fan of the monkey App ;D

p.s: i would even pay for a update to use the viewer on the web for things like advertising an so on.

Thanks for the feedback! We are currently investigating the possibility of an API. Marmoset Viewer does not use 3js, but rather proprietary code that we've developed.
  • Pac_187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pac_187 polycounter lvl 11
    Got a screencapture from a friend, looks like UVs/textures with a 2:1 ratio are not properly displayed on iOS devices. Other models on my website (1:1 ratio) look fine.
    xKzl3fz.jpg
    Link: http://dennis-lehmann.com/#m4a1-viewer
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Just had a few questions

1) Is there anyway to get AO in the viewport? I assume there must be some logistical reasons why it isn't exported. I had been considering merging it with another map as a technical hack but knowing that it's a no no with PBR that it wouldn't be the best idea.

2) I'm getting flipped normals with mirrored uvs. I don't have this issue in tb2 though.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pac: Thanks for the link, I've logged this in our bug system.

Chase: We don't support exporting AO maps at this time, though we will likely add this in the future.

Can you link to an example scene that has problems with flipped normals? Thanks
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    No worries Joe. I'm looking forward to having the AO in the future :)

This one is my bad. I must've somehow unchecked the Y before exporting. Woops :poly136:
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    hi Joe, I am having some issues with exporting a certain file with 4 x 4k, 2 x 2k, 1 x 1k textures.
    it works fine at "high" texture quality, but at "unreasonable" only one of the 4k textures show up in the viewer. rest of the materials have no textures at all and the model looks like it has inverted vertex normals or something.

when the file exports, it looks like it is exporting faster in "unreasonable" setting than at "high" setting which makes me think it might not be exporting all the 4k textures properly. it should take longer to export at "unreasonable" setting than at "high" right ?

is there a 4k texture cap in the exporter ?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Mashru,

Unreasonable caps to 4K, high downsizes to 2k, and low downsizes to 1k. It would make sense that high actually takes longer, because it has to resize the texture in addition to compressing it.

Can you post or PM a link to the scene? Screenshots of the problem would be appreciated as well (what it looks like in Toolbag, and what it looks like in Viewer).

Could you also tell me what hardware you're viewing the scene on? If it's a low end device, multiple 4K textures may be causing some memory issues. Also, make sure you have the latest version of your web browser and GPU drivers installed, and try restarting your browser to see if the problem persists (Firefox in particular has some memory issues if you've had the browser open for a while).
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    unfortunately i cannot share scene file or screenshots yet due to nda.

it does seem to be a browser issue since every time i refresh my browser, different parts of the model seems to be missing textures. i cleared browser cache and restarted browser many times.

i am on firefox 38.0.5 and AMD Firepro certified driver 14.301.1019

everything looks great in toolbag and also works great at viewer in high quality.

btw, viewer doesnt seem to open at all in google chrome or IE, it could be some plugin or some settings i am missing.

what browser you recommend best for marmoset viewer ?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generally, Chrome behaves the best, but Firefox and IE should work well too. Marmoset Viewer uses WebGL, which means no plugins are required as long as your browser supports WebGL (and the latest versions of IE, FF, Chrome and Safari all do).

I wouldn't be surprised if this is related to the AMD Firepro drivers, but without a test scene I can't log this in our bug system. =/ If you have access to a computer with a gamer class GPU (Geforce or Raedon) you could try that.
  • Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    Hi EarthQuake! This has little to do with the actual viewer, but do you know if it's at all possible to embed the viewer in forum BBCode? I've managed to do it with Youtube, p3d.in, sketchfab and others, but I can't get the marmoset viewer to embed.
    I can post my attempt if you'd like, but I suspect it just doesn't work.
  • Lt_Commander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for adding texture filtering options for the diffuse map on viewer export! Any chance the same could be propagated to all other maps? I know it's kind of a fringe use case, but all of my maps short of the diffuse are still coming out filtered on export.

marm_viewer_goop.jpg

Thanks!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez wrote: »
    Hi EarthQuake! This has little to do with the actual viewer, but do you know if it's at all possible to embed the viewer in forum BBCode? I've managed to do it with Youtube, p3d.in, sketchfab and others, but I can't get the marmoset viewer to embed.
    I can post my attempt if you'd like, but I suspect it just doesn't work.

If you're asking about Viewer support on Polycount, it is not yet supported but in the works. For other forums we would need to get in contact with the forum operators as it is not natively supported by BBCode. Is there a specific site you're trying to post on?

Sorry for the delayed response btw, I've been on vacation.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for adding texture filtering options for the diffuse map on viewer export! Any chance the same could be propagated to all other maps? I know it's kind of a fringe use case, but all of my maps short of the diffuse are still coming out filtered on export.

Thanks!

This looks like a bug, I've added it to our bug tracking system, thanks!
  • Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    If you're asking about Viewer support on Polycount, it is not yet supported but in the works. For other forums we would need to get in contact with the forum operators as it is not natively supported by BBCode. Is there a specific site you're trying to post on?

Sorry for the delayed response btw, I've been on vacation.

I admin at a different forum, and want to implement BBcode embedding like I did with Youtube, Sketchfab and p3din. They all had setups ready to go with some settings to tinker with, so it was easy, but I haven't found such code for Viewer.

If you have a solution to implementing embedding of custom URLs as below, I'd love to receive a PM :)
    I've been using the trial for 17 days now, trying to get hooked hard enough to buy it, and I must say you had me when I noticed I could toggle SRGB on the texture maps so I could just throw Source shaders in there with little to no tinkering.
    http://skins.thanez.net/crowbar/marmoset/index.html
    http://skins.thanez.net/glock_p80/marmoset/index.html
    http://skins.thanez.net/mp5_eod/marmoset/index.html
    I love how easy you've made everything, while keeping it as advanced as it is. Just little things like how I can add credits to the Viewer itself is just genious for collabs (see mp5)

Edit: now that I have you here, which application should I synchronize my normals to in order to get the best results in marmo? I'm thinking object space + detail normals? I see my 'perfect' crowbar (synced to source) is not that perfect :P
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez wrote: »
    I admin at a different forum, and want to implement BBcode embedding like I did with Youtube, Sketchfab and p3din. They all had setups ready to go with some settings to tinker with, so it was easy, but I haven't found such code for Viewer.

If you have a solution to implementing embedding of custom URLs as below, I'd love to receive a PM :)
    I've been using the trial for 17 days now, trying to get hooked hard enough to buy it, and I must say you had me when I noticed I could toggle SRGB on the texture maps so I could just throw Source shaders in there with little to no tinkering.
    http://skins.thanez.net/crowbar/marmoset/index.html
    http://skins.thanez.net/glock_p80/marmoset/index.html
    http://skins.thanez.net/mp5_eod/marmoset/index.html
    I love how easy you've made everything, while keeping it as advanced as it is. Just little things like how I can add credits to the Viewer itself is just genious for collabs (see mp5)

Edit: now that I have you here, which application should I synchronize my normals to in order to get the best results in marmo? I'm thinking object space + detail normals? I see my 'perfect' crowbar (synced to source) is not that perfect :P

We've published an integration guide for those looking at add Marmoset Viewer support to their site/forum/etc. Check it out here: http://www.marmoset.co/viewer/integration

If you require further assistance, please feel free to email info@marmoset.co and we'll see what we can do.

We support Max, Maya and Xnormal/Mikktspace tangent spaces in TB2/Viewer, so one of those would be your best bet for quality normal map displace. I assume you have an object space map and are converting to TS with handplane? If so any of those should work well.
  • Fredrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there, I love using TB2/MV for my concept design presentations and renderings. A suggestion and a question:

1. Just an idea: Would it be possible to remove the background and replace it with the device´s live camera feed (that also create reflections...) and then rotate the viewer model with the built in device gyros? I. e. turning the viewer into a more Augmented Reality like experience? Sliding and pinching on a small device is not always that practical. Just having the option to control it with the gyro´s would help a lot I think.

2. I tried to assign some mesh objects to the "sky" node just to be able to having them spinning when shift-clicking. I created a presentation without any reflections at all just with spinning lights and mesh. I acheived a fading light effect and it all worked in TB2 but after converting into the mview-file, the lights were still there but the mesh consequently never converted at all. Is this normal behaviour or is it a bug?
  • Fredrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, I almost forgot.
    One of the most annoying things with the MV is (IMHO) watching and waiting for that loading splash screen to finish.
    Is there anything that could be done by users in order to replace it with something more meaningful while waiting?
    What if we could insert a simple slide presentation, a video or whatever...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback.
  • Sigil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sigil polycounter lvl 8
    Hey so I'm wondering if you might have some insight into a problem I've had with the viewer. It's giving me choppy frames and long load times on the texture menu and when loading the model. This seems to be worse on larger models and textures or by full screen. This only seems to effect this one computer. This probably is not the issue but is there minimum system requirements?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only minimum requirement we have is a computer that supports webGL. Performance will depend on scene complexity and exact hardware, especially which GPU you have. Which GPU does the computer you're having trouble with use?

Some more thing you can try:
    1. Update your video drivers
    2. Update your web browser
    3. Close and reopen your web browser
  • Sigil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sigil polycounter lvl 8
    I am using a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti, which turns out is not the issue. After a fresh install of chrome it seems to work fine. I appreciate your help.
  • SveinY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys is the a recent limit of lights in viewer.
    I had 9 lights in the viewer file of my Diablo and when I export and look at the viewer now 6 of the lights does not show up anymore. It worked when I put up the veiwer 2 months ago. Do you guys know anything about this?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY said:
    Hey guys is the a recent limit of lights in viewer.
    I had 9 lights in the viewer file of my Diablo and when I export and look at the viewer now 6 of the lights does not show up anymore. It work when I put up the veiwer 2 months ago. Do you guys know anything about this?
    We have not added any limitations to the lights recently, however, only 3 lights will cast shadows, any lights after 3 should show up, but they won't cast shadows. This has been a limitation since day one and not a recent change though.
  • SveinY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Hmm this is so weird since it worked before with all the lights, heres some pictures.

This is how it looks now in the viewer and u can see only some of the lights in his face works.

And this is from toolbag and u can see the light is the same on both of the poses and in the viewer some of the lights dont work/show up anymore :/ I also gotten others to look at the viewer and its the same for them.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY said:
    Hmm this is so weird since it worked before with all the lights, heres some pictures.

This is how it looks now in the viewer and u can see only some of the lights in his face works.

And this is from toolbag and u can see the light is the same on both of the poses and in the viewer some of the lights dont work/show up anymore :/ I also gotten others to look at the viewer and its the same for them.
    I asked our engineers and there is a total limit of 6 lights, so you should be able to fix this issue by disabling the 3 least important lights in your scene. As far as why it worked previously and doesn't now, the order of your lights may have changed in the scene, which would effect which 6 are active on export.

I hope this helps.
  • SveinY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Ok thanks so much for clearing this up, I deleted some of my lights so I just got 6 of them in the scene and now it works perfect again. This is really nice to know for future projects :)
  • th00mmas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    th00mmas polycounter lvl 5
    Hey,

I got a strange glitch when viewing my scene on my mobile (Samsung S4 android version: 5.0.1) Newer phones (Nexus 6P) do not have this problem.
    Is it because of the glass? 
    http://imgur.com/9u3n7QG

Thanks!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    th00mmas said:
    Hey,

I got a strange glitch when viewing my scene on my mobile (Samsung S4 android version: 5.0.1) Newer phones (Nexus 6P) do not have this problem.
    Is it because of the glass? 
    http://imgur.com/9u3n7QG

Thanks!
    If you can send me a link to the .mview file I'll check this out and put it in our bug system. I've got the same phone so I should be able to reproduce it. Thanks!
  • rahulcamma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rahulcamma polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Joe Happy New Year. I complete an asset using Metanless workflow but when i view it in marmoset viewer its showing according to the Specular workflow.

Is metalness is not supported in viewer?. Also do i need make changes to my texture according to the specular workflow to view it marmoset viewer.    
  • rahulcamma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump 
    Hey Joe Happy New Year. I complete an asset using Metanless workflow but when i view it in marmoset viewer its showing according to the Specular workflow.

Is metalness is not supported in viewer?. Also do i need make changes to my texture according to the specular workflow to view it marmoset viewer.  
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump 

Metalness is supported, however, on export the textures are optimized and converted to a standardized shader, which uses the specular workflow. The conversion itself is lossless, and you do not need to do anything special, it just works.
  • rahulcamma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. Thanks for the reply. 
  • teho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teho polycounter lvl 7
    I have the same black artifacts as th00mmas, I'm viewing it on my iPad mini 2. Artifacts only on metal parts (where on metalness map is white). And I have strange conversion with my albedo colors for metal parts, with metalness workflow those parts are light greys, but in viewer those are black values, which is not correct for such type of metal. I attached screen how albedo is looking in Painter and Viewer and you can see on still renders from Substance Designer metal parts are lighter which is correct. Thanks!
     https://www.artstation.com/artwork/5KaK1

• teho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teho polycounter lvl 7
    don't know why, but i write 3rd message, because 2 previous didn't published. I have the same problem as th00mmas, and I'm previewing it with ipad mini 2 https://www.artstation.com/artwork/5KaK1 all metal parts are in black artifacts. and I found a little difference how metalness is converting to specualar. Albedo in metal parts is inverting and I see on my model metal is much darker than it should be comparable with still renders in SD with metalness workflow.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teho said:
    I have the same black artifacts as th00mmas, I'm viewing it on my iPad mini 2. Artifacts only on metal parts (where on metalness map is white). And I have strange conversion with my albedo colors for metal parts, with metalness workflow those parts are light greys, but in viewer those are black values, which is not correct for such type of metal. I attached screen how albedo is looking in Painter and Viewer and you can see on still renders from Substance Designer metal parts are lighter which is correct. Thanks!
     https://www.artstation.com/artwork/5KaK1

This is expected behavior, metalness workflow maps are converted to the specular workflow on export. This is a lossless conversion. If you're seeing differences between Marmoset Viewer and Substance Painter, there could be many reasons for this, including the exact lighting and post effect setups in each app.

If your material uses GGX rather than Blinn-Phong in Toolbag 2, you may see a difference in the gloss curve, as GGX is approximated in Marmoset Viewer for performance reasons.
  • ahmedelsisi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i finished the project but dont know why the viewer export doesnt work in artstation  .. as u can see in my artstation account  https://www.artstation.com/artwork/A611y
  • Sastrei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sastrei polycounter lvl 11
    Apologies if this has been asked before, but most searches pull up normal map bake issues instead - for Viewer exports, how come the resulting embed shows normal maps in object space instead of tangent space? Is it possible to change this setting somehow?
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Joe mentioned before regarding the world space normal on Marmoset Viewer, it tell much of a correct normal info to people that looking at it, tangent space would show 'seam' to our eye even though it's not appear on the final shading, due to countering the smooth groups etc and also it's just gonna shows purple on most of the area and it looks less interesting. Another thing is related to enabling the Viewer to rotate the world space normal with shift drag.

*Edit: just did a quick google search, here it is:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2281348/#Comment_2281348