Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Maxivz's improvement thread

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
maxivz interpolator
Short introduction/Current situation:
Hello guys, i have been posting here for around two years or maybe more, looking at the amaizing stuff you guys make and posting some stuff as well. I am in a situation where i need to get some massive improovement in order to get to a hireable state hopefully for the end of this year or mid 2016. I am currentlly an Information systems engeneering student in argentina who uses almost all his free time into 3d models and its looking into try to make a live out of it, i am specializing in hard surface stuff as its what i love the most. Current game art market here is actually pretty small here so i am making plans to move out to Europe as i am getting my italian citizenship this july hopefully and i really need some serious skills to make sure i can get hired.
I decided to keep everything in one thread as its more of a long time goal more than
At the end of this year/half of 2016 i should hopefully have a better portfolio ( current portfolio: artbymaxi.com )

Current skill level:
Anyways, current situation appart heres where i am currentlly at:
ca0a7c063d.png
885cca3e19.png
9a0e227a3c.png

The plan (so far, will plan next steps as i finish the first ones):
So i built some kind of plan or to improove my current skills, i would like to know what you think about this, heres it i will keep:

T34 / 85 model (modelling study):
[/B]I will focus exclusivelly on building thi model with the best quality possible paying attention to get the details as accurate as possible, improove my zbrush skills for hard surface so i make the welding etc. I will see how far i can take the details as my pc has 8gb of ram and it kinda struggled with my tiger tank

Mech model (model study) :
I will focus on learning how to model from perspective references as opposed to model from blueprints as a base, this has prooven really hard for me in the past so it will be very important for me to practice this area. Then ill lp and texture it

Simple gun(texture study):
For this one i will go with a gun that has some pretty simple shapes which are not naturally interesting and focus in my textures to make it look interesting

Enviornment:
For this one i will be going with a small corridor enviorment, ill probablly get back to my mass effect corridor and finish it or start another one of about the same size, i will learn more about unreal engine 4 and lighting on this one

Conclussion:
One last thing before starting, i really want to thank this amaizing community with everything they have given to me, all the critics and amaizing inspirations, i woudlnt even know 3d if it wasnt for polycount! :)
Well, its time to get started, sorry for the text wall, i would really like to get a lot of critics and the most harsh ones possible :poly122:, and dont keep them just about the models you can also take them to my plan, etc.
Heres some very early blockout of my t34, i should have waited a bit more to post but i am rather excited to start this, ill record my time with toggle to see how much real time it actually takes, here it goes:
7aeb0c920e.jpg
5d16ac6e9e.jpg

Replies

• Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    Really impressive, I like the tank model especially.
    Could we see some wires of the models? :D
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nice work man!

What are you rendering these in?

Some stuff I notice at first glance...

I think the gloss on the gun is too simple because it doesn't seem to be interacting at all with all those scrapes and stuff you have on the wood.

I think the lighting overall is weak on the second two models. With the yellow construction thing specifically, The wheels arn't reading as rubber. They almost read the same as the metal right above, and these should be polar opposites. I think if you worked on your lighting presentation some more it might help a lot there, but might need to revist the textures also.

To me, the models look very solid, and I think you did a great job with baking and normals. The main thing to improve on here is presentation in terms of lighting and pushing your materials to read more as real world materials.
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Thanks Shyralon and Brad. Here goes the tank model in sketchfab, i went crazy with the polygons cause why not
    [SKETCHFAB]5ca4bc52e16f40a6af8f08df3f48aec2[/SKETCHFAB]
    @Brad Thanks a lot for the critics, material definition and texturing has always been a problem to me, its the part i feel i lack the most and that needs serious improovement, i think that after the t34 i am actually going to go for some studies regarding texturing instead of modeling, for the lighting i always also struggle to setup good lighting and i usually end up using the default marmoset 2 IBL with just one light to get some shadows, i will try to improove the presentation on every model i make from now on. Maybe i should actually turn my t34 modeling study into a material definition one as well?

Regarding the T34 i made the 2 pices of the track, instantiated it, tweaked the main wheel a bit, i think it still needs some more tweaking and make the front wheel, now i am going to tweak the wheel and go for the sproket
    c167571d53.jpg
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Some more from tonights session, i fixed the main wheel a bit and made the wheel for the back, readjusted a bit the tracks, now i will be jumping into the tank body
    a7ea4f3eaf.jpg
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Made a bit more of progress today, sorry for the small updates but i prefeer big issues to be spotted early so i can fix all the possible issues that may slipped my eye. Resized the tacks as they were not fitting well and started working on the back
    fa3289bdea.jpg
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    After some talks and some feedback i decided that its better if i focus more on my materials and presention more than my modeling for now, so i will be working on my t34 from time to time but ill really focus my time in improoving my materials and presentation.
    With univ starting the 25th for me i wont be having as much time as i used to have so the progress will be slower, but steady.
    Anyways, heres a really old model that i am retexturing, critics on the textures would be great :)
    5e0aed4122.png
    Also heres a bit more on the t34, more work done in the back i made:
    2173433c49.jpg