Home General Discussion

Substance LIVE - "A new way to get Substance'

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
Looks like Substance is going to have a subscribe to own option, $20 a month for the indie versions of Painter, Designer, and Bitmap to material. Subscribe and cancel as much as you want. Any money spent on the subscription as automatically put towards paying for the full version, so once you spend as much as you would if you bought in one payment, you own it.

Vno9vnG.png

Replies

• weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    does it work like previous model of Unreal 4 which you'll still be able to use it without update after you stopped subscribing?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    From what I understand, no, you can only use it when the subscription is active.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    This is pretty awesome. I've always been hesitant to give Substance a try because I never wanted to pay full price for a tool I may hate since it never really clicked with me, but I'm definitely going to give this subscription a shot.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    What I'd like to know is if you subscribe mostly for painter or for designer, could you decide you just want that piece of software and put the subscription money towards that piece of software?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The monthly payment is only available for the full pack at the moment.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's going to get weird for people that already own one package.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    What are the total price tags on each package? Not just the sub price.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Painter is 149 for the Indie License while Pro is $590. Is there a difference? From what I can tell just the amount of money you are allowed to make as an indie-$100K. Same for Designer, $99 for Indie and $590 for Pro.

Can anyone confirm the difference extends beyond these Stand Alone prices and the revenue you're allowed to make?

I also think the Substance Drop and Previews access is a nice value add.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    YES! This is fantastic :D

I would much prefer this model for the other subs i have, but the benefit of the other subs is that you continue to get new versions and updates?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    ZacD wrote: »
    It's going to get weird for people that already own one package.

People who own a single software and want to upgrade to the full Indie/Pro pack will ahve to upgrade through the regular path.

Anyone already owning or u[grading to the Indie or Pro pack will automatically get a "LIVE" account and the same services as new LIVE subscribers.

@Autocon: Total final prices for the full pack are $318 for the Indie version and $1038 for the Pro version.

@Rurouni Strife: The only difference between the Pro and Indie version is the revenue limit.
  • OutOfMyMind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OutOfMyMind polycounter lvl 5
    So is it on already? Where do i swipe my credit card? :)
    BTW: do the similar thing for substance database.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It will be on this Wednesday.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Very interesting model ! It was just a matter of time until someone attempted this, and it is great that it is coming from you guys. It sure teaches Adobe and Autodesk a lesson.

On a side note, I think it would be best for the diagram to also include the total cost of the licenses, or put differently, the number of months of subscription required for a full license unlock. This could take the form of a little pie diagram, or something of that nature.
    Because while I understand that this is *not* the regular kind of subscription, the visual communication around it makes it look a lot like one and it is unnecessarily muddying up the message.

In short : there is one crucial piece of information missing. We know the monthly fees, we know that they add up towards the acquisition of the full license, but we do not know actual price of the license.

That being said, great move guys ! Really strong approach.
  • FelixL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FelixL polycounter lvl 4
    Anyone already owning or u[grading to the Indie or Pro pack will automatically get a "LIVE" account and the same services as new LIVE subscribers.

What does this mean for big studios? It seems like both subscription options have a maximum revenue limitation now. Does this lift once you pay the price in full?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Studios can get regular licenses with no revenue limit, volume discounts, custom packages, training, etc. This part doesn't change.

The LIVE monthly payment is really geared more toward indies and hobbyists.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    This is a pretty awesome pricing model! I know where I work ($1000 for the full pro package) X (number of artists) is a hard sell. Now I just need to start a project where we can use these tools. :)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    monster wrote: »
    This is a pretty awesome pricing model! I know where I work ($1000 for the full pro package) X (number of artists) is a hard sell. Now I just need to start a project where we can use these tools. :)

+1 - because not every studio has something like uncle scrooge's money bin ;)
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    When will this be available?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It is available now on our website.
  • Geta-Ve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geta-Ve polycounter lvl 7
    Is it? Because the monthly option isn't selectable for me...
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    You have to make an account first before you can click the buy button.
  • Geta-Ve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geta-Ve polycounter lvl 7
    Ah I see...

Weird, I was able to add the full product to the cart, just not the live version. I will try making an account first.

Thanks Martin!

EDIT: Yup you were right. Thanks again!
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So excited for this. I was looking at picking up the package and this makes paying for it much easier. GDC week in Christmas all over again
  • Grims
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grims polycounter lvl 5
    Jerc wrote: »

I already own the Indie Pack, but when I'm logged in the site with my account, the LIVE menu says: "YOU DON'T HAVE SUBSTANCE LIVE YET".

Is there a way to a owner of the Indie Pack to subscribe the LIVE service and have their software updated to the lasted version?

Thank you for your attention!
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Did you upgrade to SD5? LIVE will only be available if you have the latest version of SD, the upgrade is not yet doable through the LIVE service for technical reasons.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I bought full commercial Substance designer few years ago and hardly used it at all . Actually prefer Filter forge . It's doing repetitive textures better and easier to setup

Tried Painter, also not that impressed . Prefer 3d coat 4.5

So it's definitely not the price that prevent me from using them but rather features and convenience
  • Grims
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grims polycounter lvl 5
    Did you upgrade to SD5? LIVE will only be available if you have the latest version of SD, the upgrade is not yet doable through the LIVE service for technical reasons.

I was considering upgrading SD with the 33% discount before March 4th, but when I saw this LIVE subscription model I decided to wait, as I also would like to upgrade BitmapToMaterial and have all the software of the Indie Pack up to date...
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Grims wrote: »
    I was considering upgrading SD with the 33% discount before March 4th.

I missed the sale by a day? :(
  • Grims
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grims polycounter lvl 5
    ZacD wrote: »
    I missed the sale by a day? :(

Well, yes... There was a discount before March 4th in allegorithmic site for the upgrade of SD5.
  • genwu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    Sorry, I'm still confused here..Basically for existing SD4 and Painter 1.2 owners, there's no discounted upgrade? Or a way to switch to Live (for SD5 and Painter 1.3) for an upgrade price? That kinda sucks..
  • NicolasLiatti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guyz,

Substance Live is the new name of the previous "Substance Pack". Live is both a set services and software.
    You can have access to the services as soon as you own the 3 products SD5 / SP / B2M3, with the same license (all indie, or all pro).

If you already have have an Indie pack with SD4, you would just need to upgrade to SD5 for $75, and you will get access to Alive account.

Cheers,
    Nicolas
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    while still waiting for the reply from allegorithmic, I'd like to get some answers from here, I've bought all 3 products(indie version), now I'm a bit confused with LIVE, say if I upgrade to LIVE (for one-off payment not monthly), I get to own these products forever with all the updates incoming? and what if I just want to upgrade from 4 to 5, I can't seem to find such an option for that?

so to put it simple, for now I own these products and I want to get updates (eg from 4->5) I need to get on LIVE (with paying $140 something for upgrade)?
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
  • Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Jerc, you just got a new pro subscriber. Tell the team to keep up the great work! You would not likely have seen my money this year without this new subscription model. Cheers!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a bit confused. I contacted support but figured I'd post here too.

I own Substance Designer 4 indie, I went to the live page and clicked on upgrade. I get to a page that says something along the lines of "upgrade to Substance Designer 5 for $75". So I click upgrade and my shopping cart says Substance Live for $75.

Am I getting the entire suite for $75 or just designer 5? I primarily want Painter, Designer 4 is good enough for my needs and I wasn't interested in B2M.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It's a bug on our upgrade page, we are working on it. If you want Painter, you can simply buy it on its own page instead of the LIVE page. You'll still be able to upgrade to LIVE in the future if you need to.
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    It's a bug on our upgrade page, we are working on it. If you want Painter, you can simply buy it on its own page instead of the LIVE page. You'll still be able to upgrade to LIVE in the future if you need to.

Whats the benefits of having live compare to buy separately? Its a bit confusing.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    LIVE is just the suite of all 3 products (SD5, SP, B2M3). When you have all these (that you may have bought separately or together), you get perks such as beta access and monthly substance packs.