Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Head WIP

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
5uOjXZz.jpg

Female Head WIP: 5hrs without ref.
It's nowhere even close to where I want it but update is update.
Help!! I am running low on C&C and there's a boss fight nearby! :0

Replies

• Jedairusz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedairusz polycounter lvl 13
    without ref.
    Why?
    It doesn't look good. You should check for example construction of the eyelids.
  • deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedairusz wrote: »
    Why?
    It doesn't look good. You should check for example construction of the eyelids.

Thanks for the reply Jedai!
    I am trying not to use red as far as I can go so that I can see how far I can get without it.. Also when I say ref I mean no side view front view of any one person was used.. I am looking at forms on pictures to get an idea of what forms bed to be changed.. Yes the eyes look pretty bad now that I look at it. Thanks for the tip! I will work on that now! :)
    If you have any other suggestions or critiques I would appreciate it a lot! :D
  • hypronost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hypronost polycounter lvl 6
    My advice would be, always use reference. Bernini and Michelangelo used reference.
    I think the forehead shape (t-zone) is working out quite well.
    Smooth out the entire mouth/lip area and focus on getting the large shapes/angles right.

It might be a good idea to find reference images of one actress in particular and then just study how the nose/eyes/mouth works from different angles on that one face.

Keep going.

ps: don't timestamp your work. No one cares if something took 5 hours or 50 hours. Except maybe managers, but there ain't no managers on this forum.
  • deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hypronost wrote: »
    My advice would be, always use reference. Bernini and Michelangelo used reference.

ps: don't timestamp your work. No one cares if something took 5 hours or 50 hours. Except maybe managers, but there ain't no managers on this forum.

Thanks for the reply Fred!
    I am going to start using a singular reference now! :)
    I timestamp the work to calculate my total speed.. but I agree it can be distracting to the viewer. I'll do it on my end from now on. Thanks!
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    I wouldn't calculate your speed while learning sculpting.
    If you do that you feel rushed and therefore rushing the whole model.
    Take your time, spent alot of time getting the proportions right, all that matters for now is the result. When you are at a point where you are quite confident sculpting faces, then you can start working on your speed.

The model itself does not look too bad for me, only the eyelids (as said before) and the forehead looks a little weird, like it was pulled out in the middle with the move brush or something. Or it's just because of the reflections, dunno, but it appears like she has some kind of donut on her head :D

Don't subdivide too fast, really take your time getting proportions right, before you start detailing :D