Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

<WASP> learning ZBrush WIP

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Lawrence Preston polycounter lvl 5
Made this thread to document a project I'm working on to learn ZBrush. The Project is based off of the ZB 3.5 Flying Stingy Thing tutorial by Joseph Drust. My model will be based off of the Final Fantasy X Wasp concept. I started this a couple of days ago, so this post will have multiple days work. Thanks for checking it out, and PLEASE DO NOT hesitate to offer critiques and criticisms. All feedback and discussion is fully welcome (:

Concept FFX:
itHLD95.jpg

FEB 26th:
Learning ZSPheres and trying to make an armature.
PPaKZz3.jpg

Learning ZSketch and trying to flesh out the detail like strips of clay but realized that I went about the process wrong, once I finished. I made the armature fill out the mass too much, which left no room for the ZSketch, which ended up to bulky.
VlvGtIf.jpg

FEB 27:
After resting, I decided to resize the ZSperes and to redo the ZSketch. Also started wondering, at this point, if anybody uses this technique?
wHpUYjX.jpg

Was pretty excited to start sculpting this thing. Working on the larger details. I also realized (some time into sculpting) that I had a couple of holes in the mesh, where the ZSketch didn't quite fill in completely. So, even though I wasn't planning on doing it, I Dynameshed it, smooshed the holes together and then ZRemeshed it to get back to the quads.
fXFbZZ3.jpg

FEB 28:
Started poly painting to prep for new edge flow. This was a very cumbersome process of trial and error, especially making the alpha using GrabDoc, setting markers, and all that jazz.
rfLMlVY.jpg

After much heartache and frustration, I came out with this, by grouping by polypaint, and then using GroupsLoops to get the edge flow:
MsENJ8s.jpg

But am a little concerned with this:
KqAXMJS.jpg

I think that it is correct, after looking at Drust's model, but only time will tell.

Replies

• Lawrence Preston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot to post yesterday's work. MAR 03:
    Started first detail pass. No idea what I'm doing, so everything is being done with clay tubes brush and a little of the form brush, atm. Very tough, seems like it's a constant game of sculpt > smooth > sculpt > smooth until some of the forms come out.

V9KOAVC.jpg

Today's progress:
    Trying to add some finer texture detail, and a major overhaul to the armor design. It's like some sort of rock-shell-armor now. I don't know if I like more than the smooth armor. Probably will put it away for tonight and decide, tomorrow. Using some new brushes: dam standard, pen shadow, and playing with the alphas. I've incorporated masking to assist with moving elements using the move brush and scale and rotate tools

5NcE8zx.jpg
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    How many subtools is this broken into? It looks like it's only 1 right now?

Go and break it into separate subtools. The big benefit to working on something that's an arthropod is that their bodies work for being broken up into more discreet parts, since their bodies are naturally segmented.

This might be the best concept to start learning zbrush off of. It's a fictional thing that's both insectoid and alien, so hard to tell if you're being accurate or not. That's a problem enough when you know zbrush, more so when you don't.
  • Lawrence Preston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, okay. Thanks Vertrucio, appreciated! Yeah, t's been a single subtool the whole time. I recently broke it up just to make it less burdensome on my computer, but just into four pieces (wings, legs, thorax, and abdomen.

I'm still not sure exactly when things should be broken up into subtools. I'm just following along with the tutorial, but the tut is very old and dated, from ZB 3.5... lol