Home General Discussion

NASAs creating sci-fi detail ....and ngons

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Thane- polycounter lvl 3
Saw this over twitter, which is a great way to follow NASA in my opinion. Getting communications from a space station and astronauts is pretty cool too. But anyway, i saw a few comments about the realism and validity of the intense detail seen in some sci-fi designs (which i largely love personally). I think it is pretty realistic myself, partly because I think we will have robots doing a lot of work for us in the future and eventually almost all of it. The entire process of gathering raw materials is thought to be eventually automated, with the robots never sleeping and eventually rarely breaking down. Its already happening, some of those massive industrial dump trucks already drive themselves for example and in China they have 3d printed a 6 story building. Apparently someone has made a machine that automates an entire burger joint. Perhaps this "free" supply of labor and energy may make the costs of adding in extra [purposeful] detail inconsequential, and easy.

In this one, any idea what all the bracket-like things are hanging off the side of the doors are for? Not I. This relates to why i think it is so important for immersion to take what you want from the experience, as a gamer, or movie watcher. As someone once said, the best movie watchers fill in the plot holes for themselves.
B_viPfkUgAMof4S.jpg:large

B_vzGoqUYAAzs8g.jpg:large

Cool site to follow automation advancements since im on the subject: http://www.reddit.com/r/manna