Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crystal Maidens Concept Illustration Series

Greetings fellow artists!

*Warning: Newbie Alert*

Soooo I am assuming this will create some kind of thread-everse where I can update my progress on some 2D art?

This illustration series that I am embarking upon will hopefully result in a single female sculpt/rig, that can be fitted with a variety of costumes.

But before I jump ahead of myself, the whole idea that has lead up to this intention was a strange desire to conceptualise and illustrate 12 fantasy women (or maidens, as I am calling them) with the theme of birthstones. Hence the 'crystal' part.

I have been painting digitally for a year now, and though I have improved, I am getting nowhere near to a professional standard! ...So I guess this is a plea for some decent constructive criticism, from those who know their stuff better than I do :poly124:

Thanks in advance!
Naomi

Replies

• Protar
    I just tried myself on a quick overpaint. I hope you get what my intention is behind it. I´m sorry but I have to leave now. Otherwise I would´ve commented bit more in depth. I hope this is somehow helpful! I like her facial expression, gives her a kind of royal look. And she reminds me of Lana del rey in some way^^ Exceited how you will proceed :)l8il2i6ztnre.jpg
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I would review the concept a bit more, right now i can't even tell you which month she's suppose to represent ? On a guess i would say january/garnet ? But only because it's the first month of the year, she could also be ruby who know.

Look for signification and symbolic. Grenat is a dark red/brownish gemstone, you make it scarlet-orange, it's often sculpt in a oval shape. There's no oval shape in your drawing. At is rough forme it's really chunky, you put nice clean quartz crystal cut on the scepter. Garnet represent Loyalty, constancy and healing, it's known for it's supposed power to stop blood loss, cure inflammatory disease and anger. Your woman is the exact opposite of curing loyalty and constancy, she look like a badass evil queen. Grenat is also associated with capricorn, the zodiac sign of january. January is a cold month, you woman is half nake and dress like a fire enchanter.

In the other hand it could be july which make me all wrong except for: Ruby are red, only red, no brown, no orange, red with a int of pink in some of them. They are really shiny stone. In his rough stade it's also really chunky, pink and nothing like a quartz shape either. tbh rough ruby mineral doesn't look that nice and precious. They are known for their protection from evil and signify love and intense passion. They also have the attribute meaning of harmony, contentment, integrity, strength and providing success. They are a crown jewel and it was adored by king. ruby are a precious stone, they are really mount alone but rather on eccentric jewel. As a birthstone they are the symbol of warmth and luminosity from within someone. All of this also doesn't fit with your character. she doesn't look like she's passionate or in love, she doesn't look like a queen, she's not covered in eccentric jewel.

Painting skill are important but you could be really good and your drawing will still look meh, because they're no story nor cohesion behind them. The design stage is really an important non-negligible one !